Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimalf

Fungicide for cuttings

mimalf
10 years ago

A good friend of mine wants to root several cuttings and she wants to buy sulfur as fungicide (Rootone has no fungicide anymore). What's found online and that can come fast with amazon prime is this: http://www.amazon.com/PRODUCTS-142-Sulphur-Fungicide-4-Pound/dp/B0035H7V34/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1MFM46ZXUY11B&coliid=I27QQZHXTRZ5RY

or this: http://www.amazon.com/Sulfur-Plant-Fungicide-Dust-Lb/dp/B000OWBL2U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1MFM46ZXUY11B&coliid=I1XCDQL8VHT2UJ

The first is a 4lbs. bag, and the second one is a 1lb tube. Price difference is small but 4 lbs is a lot of sulfur to use, and to store it in a cold place in Socal would be difficult. Even if we share it, I would not have the original bag to store it in. How much sulfur could you use for a few cuttings and how dangerous is it to be stored in a garage somewhere?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (17)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the link to one of the items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sulfur Fungicide 1lb

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Sagolover,

For at least 13yrs now Ive used Safer brand Fungicide which is a spray, or you can buy the concentrate. The Safter Fungicide is readily available at most nurseries and places like Lowes and HD.
    Safer Fungicide is Sulfur based and I luv the fact its a fluid as I spray the cutting and the end then dip it into the rooting hormone, helps the powder to stick/adhere to the end of the cutting.
    I also spray it on the leaves of my plumies if it gets powdery mildew in June when its overcast and humid in my patch.

Hope your friend tries it.

Cheers

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such a good idea, thanks freak4plumeria! :)
    Searching the website of HD and Lowes, and also amazon, I found the best price is on amazon but it will arrive only Wednesday. Do you think those wrinkled cuttings could wait 2 more days, maybe spray-misting them, or just go ahead with the potting because they are all very well calloused?

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Sagolover
    To be honest Id probably put them in water for the day and let them try to hydrate. But I water root and a lot of plumie people cringe when you even say water and cutting in the same sentence. But if you have a good callous even if you soaked if for the day I do not think you should have an issue other then it plumping up a bit. I read somewhere on a forum once a long time ago where someone found an old shriveled cutting and put it in water thinking that it might hydrate it if they left it for the day, forgot it was there and 3 or 4 days later there were roots, not nubs but actual roots on the bottom of the cutting...might have been Hetty, cant remember for sure...

Good Luck with your cuttings, think you will love the Safer sulfur fungicide spray (Plus since the sulfur is wet there are no worries).

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, you're right about the storage, not being powder. :)

So I'll let her know that she can put those wrinkled in water for a day before potting. Is the callous going to get moist and soften though? Oh, so hard to decide, because we're all newbies here, not much knowledge about rooting plumerias (or anything else), and now the water rooting seems the best as you said... Or bag rooting... Or egg rooting...
    What to choose, what to choose? I will make a summary for her and will let her decide. After all, they are her cuttings. ;)

• Kimo
    10 years ago

I do not think that a day in water will soften the callous to the point that you would have to worry, plus the Safter Fungicide will make a crust with the rooting hormone.

Good Luck
    Cheers

• intotheblueFL
    10 years ago

The absolute BEST cloning advice I can give you: Clonex cloning gel.

I've used everything else under the sun and nothing comes close to the results when using this stuff. I've had cuttings sit for months without roots using powders.. and re-cut and using Clonex, I have roots in a matter of weeks.

Look for it online. You'll be glad you did. The stuff is amazing.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never asked about something like this. Is this spam? I guess so.

• intotheblueFL
    10 years ago

Not trying to be. Just saying that if you use the proper cloning/cutting techniques, you won't need a separate fungicide. YMMV :)

Suggesting this to you jogged my memory that I should maybe post about my own personal experience with the product in hopes that it helps someone else out there..

This post was edited by intotheblueFL on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 11:27

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, if the product is legit, I'm sorry for thinking you're spamming. Still, I will not use something that not many (reputable) growers here are using. Anyway, the question above doesn't need an answer anymore, everything was taken care of. :)

Mima

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mima,
    Your to funny...lol lol. I saw the "is this spam?" comment.
    I used Clonex Gel a while back in 2004 or 2005, MPG use to sell it on their store site, Dont know if they are still selling it. Everyone has their preferences for what they like and its always good to try new things. Personally I water root so the Clonex is not that compatible with this method, but for traditional methods in soil, bag rooting, gang rooting, etc., I think you might like it.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I honestly thought it was one of those messages trying to get you go to certain websites where they hack your info.

I tried rooting in soil and I was told to use only powder since gel or anything else may keep moist to the cutting and they may rot. I think the powder stuff works. My cutting shoes signs of life: a leaf is growing slowly and I can see another claw forming. Keep my fingers crossed. :)

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Rooting agents are all acid (ndole-3-butyric acid (IBA) base with hormones, so basically because of PH I believe it helps kill fungus, perhaps that is why they got rid of the fungicide. If you have mildew on your clothes and the smell wont wash out if you either put vinegar in the wash, or presoak with vinegar and water, the vinegar/acid will kill the mildew and spores and scent.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I think I read somewhere that the fungicide that Rootone-F used to have years ago was banned in the US or something like that.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's possible, I don't know what exactly was the fungicide in it but I followed the advice of reputable plumeria growers here (and on FB) and I used sulfur as fungicide, then a rooting hormone. :)

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Sago,
    The other perk of sulfur is it keeps the cut end of the cutting really white. Sulfur is an ingredient used in dried apples and fruits to keep them from discoloring. Acne meds use Sulfur to kill bacteria also, not that I ever had any zits...lol

Cheers

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know about fruits, I had no idea. I know about using it in humans but I have no experience using it for fruits or other plants. ;)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville