Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good seed varieties

Posted by redmaple_7b 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 13:30

Hi everybody my names Trevor and I'm new to the forum here. I have a handful of plumerias, and would like to grow a few more from seed, I grew some unknowns from seed and their just getting ready to bloom 3 years old. I'm ready to try some more, any recommended varieties. And I know they don't grow true to the parent but that's half the fun. And I recently moved to Salt lake city so any tricks for growing in a cooler climate would be great.
Thanks
Trevor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good seed varieties

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 15:10

Hey Trevor welcome!

You are right seedlings are a crap shoot really so my suggestion would be to buy seeds from a highly multiple colored variety. That will almost guarantee that your seedlings will have some uniqueness to them. That is if thats what you are after. Brads Buds and Blooms, and Maui plumeria Gardens both are reputable places who sell seeds. Obviously they dont guarantee color but they wont screw you over either.

Mike

o

The Moragne hybrids were crosses between Scott Pratt and Daily Wilcox. Penang Peach has produced good offspring. There are lots of other examples... but as Mike said I think you are good to just buy seeds from a good solid pod parent. The pollen parent will typically not be known.

o

I've found Mardi Gras, Veracruz Rose and JL Tornado made consistently good offspring. I would definitely try Penang Peach, too, if you can find the seeds. It has parented some extraordinary cultivars like J105 and Elsie.

Pink Pansy has also produced beautiful offspring, but buying any from a reputable seller that has a wide variety of trees increases your chance of some nice cross-pollination. Brad's, MPG and Florida Colors (I think they sell seeds, too; call for info) are all excellent sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here