Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantloverla

Need help identifying plumerias

plantloverla
11 years ago

Sorry for this sad post, but my best friend died in April. Her husband insisted I take her collection of plumeria babies. Some have names, but I haven't found but one picture of the named one. I found Rimfire, but I would like to know the color of: Wishy Washy, Orange Crush (orange? :)), Ted Chinn, Dang Some. There are some more that I haven't figured out yet. I have not had plumerias, but I don't want these to die...so I am repotting them...some have 2 or 3 branches. Any help is appreciated...it's sad to lose such a wonderful garden buddy! I am in zone 8b.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Sorry to read what has happened. I say the best way to find out what color they are is to coax them into blooming. To start...use a fast draining soil mix and an off the shelf fertilizer like miracle grow is ok. full sun to part sun (watch closely for signs of leaf burn and adjust accordingly). Once familiar with plumeria then experiment would be my advice.

Plumerias will use less water than other comparable tropicals. Plumerias are cousins to Oleanders and Vincas which are pretty common in the south so maybe you have more experience than you think.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I am so sorry that you lost your dear friend. Her husband was very thoughtful to give you her plumies. I wish you the best of luck.

Afte googling Wishy Washy, I found an ebay seller with seeds for sale. He/She shows a pic and the colors are pink and yellow, with a bit of red. Very pretty. Do a search and you will probably find the answers quickly.

• plantloverla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Moonie 58 and kms2 for the quick reply. I think some of them will bloom since they are rapidly putting out leaves after repotting. I am using a fast draining potting mix and will use super bloom to help. I did find a pic for wishy washie and orange crush...will keep googling the other names(the tags are faded out...but almost legible).
    Again, many thanks...I really miss my friend.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Ted Chinn:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• plantloverla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much tdogdad..the pic is beautiful. I hope I get them all to bloom. My friend and I met through Gardenweb...so I know that there are some wonderful people here!! Thanks again.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Wishy Washy (hope Hetty doesn't mind I use her pic as a ref)

Dang Som

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi There!!

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.. lots of wonderful people here to help you!! Your friend is smiling at you knowing you are tending to her trees with love..

What a great friend you are... : )

Take care,

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Plantlover, I'm sorry for your loss and hope the plumerias you inherited bring you much joy. They are some wonderful cultivars. Just remember to treat them like succulents, potted in fast-draining mix, and protect them from temps below 40. When they bloom, maybe this year or next, I hope they remind you of your dear friend!

Jen