Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmax_gw

Desperately need treatment advice, Plumeria broke in and odd spot

MissMax
9 years ago

Hi, this is my first ever Plumeria, it was recently gifted to me and I was heartbroken this morning when I found it had taken a tumble and broken just above a fork in one of it's two main branches. After a few hours of research I felt it best to consult with those in the know before taking any action. I would be appreciative for any and all feedback as to how to best rehab this baby!

The broken stem is about 13 inches long without the leaves, and both severed points are a bit hallowed at the broken ends. Should the broken off piece be left as is or split into two cuttings? What should be done with the broken branch that is still intact? Also wondering if the broken piece could be grafted back onto the plant?

I've uploaded a few more detailed photos into a photobucket album:
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/belledoojour/library/Plumeria
the direct link is at the bottom of this post

Thanking you kindly for your words of wisdom!

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of my broken Plumeria here

Comments (4)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hello. Sorry to hear and see what happened!

Yes you could graft it back if you wanted to try but I dont think that is what I would do.
    The main plant will regrow from the break. It could very well branch up to 3 new branches but it will be unbalanced for a couple seasons. May not be an issue for you but if that is a concern I would cut of the broken limb close to the trunk and re pot the plant with a bit of the trunk under the soil so it is straight, or straighter. what ever you decide with the broken part on the main plant I would make a clean cut and keep moisture off of it for a while. Some will put caulking on the cuts too.

Your new cutting has a couple options 2. Since their is a couple inches of branch left below the Y you could make a new clean cut and let it callous. you should be able to root that piece as is.
    Personally I would make 2 cuttings out of it and gift one to somebody or keep them.

mike

• elucas101
    9 years ago

Hi MissMax, so sorry that happened, what a bummer :( But your plant should bounce back well. I agree with Mike, re-cut the broken branch on the main plant, let the latex stop flowing and then seal it with caulk or DAP to prevent moisture from getting in there.

I would also fluff out the roots of the main plant and repot in a bigger pot. This will help stabilize the plant a bit more as well as give the roots some much needed room to grow.

As for the broken fork, you need to recut the bottom part to get an even cut and I don't know how much you'll have left after you cut it, you may need to make 2 cuttings out of it. Cut them, let them callus for 2 weeks and then pot those up. One of the best ways to callus I've learned from this forum is to put hardwood mulch in a container & put the cuttings in there just above the mulch while keeping the container fairly warm. The humidity usually helps keep the cutting from shrinking back too much.

Good luck & please keep us updated on your progress!

• MissMax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice Mike & elucas101, I now feel ready to embark upon the surgery & rehab. I'll check back in later & let you know how it all goes.

• texasplum
    9 years ago

good luck!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals