Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

More blooms open!

jandey1
9 years ago

We all know around here that the more plumies we get, the better chance we have for flowers :)

It's been very warm (90's) but cloudy here, so my plumies have some fantastic color this week.

Here's the very photogenic Gladys O'Neal again:

I just can't stop taking her picture!

And she's just a little plant, too:

Then there's the glorious color on Heirloom:

Check out the cool maroon buds:

And in some sunlight, with a 6-petalled flower, too:

Aussie Confetti is throwing much smaller blooms now, but they still smell like fruity heaven:

Here's the long-awaited Leona Hoke, who smells like Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke:

Not too shabby!

The blooms fall off quickly but few flowers have that intense color.

And here's my most photogenic, bloom, Thornton's Lemon Drop:

I have been waiting a long time for these lovelies to open:

Pink Diamond!

The pink isn't as violetish as the photo shows, but warmer.

As a bonus she also smells incredible when open, like tropical fruit:

Comments (20)

• labland
    9 years ago

Jen these are lovely! I wanted to let you know the progress of the seeds you sent me 3 or 4 years ago are doing great. Both started growing inflos in December no joke! Of course because of "winter" they didn't get far. However one of them...the biggest and thickest trunk looks like the inflos has continued to grow. Will keep you posted.

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Jen... beautiful shots!!! amazing colors of blooms as well!!! :)

Chuy

• texasplum
    9 years ago

love that heirloom! Beautiful pics and thanks for sharing!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

My mantra for today: I can live without Leona Hoke, I can live without Leona Hoke.

Those are some beauties there Jandey. Heirloom sort of reminds me of Mardi Gras but in a different color pallet, I wonder if they are related.

• shelia__greenthumb
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers!!!

• rox146
    9 years ago

WOW-O-WOW!!!!!!!! Outrageous! roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Jen - I'm in love with your pink diamond. And of course still very envious of your TLD. The tips on mine are still very short so I'm really not expecting her to bloom this year.

All your blooms are gorgeous but Aussie Confetti rocks!

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Amazing flowers Jen!! I really like Pink Diamond, it has a lot going on!

Keep the photos coming!

Mark

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Jen,

Great looking blooms. I'm in love with your Heirloom.
    I also, noticed your adenium (DR) in the background.
    The bug for DR has bitten me this year!!!
    I'm trying to find sources other than EB for doubles if anyone knows of one. I have only found a few singles at Lowes.

Lonnie

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Jen

those are fantastic. I really like Leona Hoke. glad you are getting some nice flowers.

mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

OHHH. Jen!!!

My mouth is still hanging open!!!

Truly beautiful blooms and I simply love all of them!!!

The colors are fabulous.. I can't even pick one that I like better.. They are all winners and I am so happy for you!!

Breathtaking, beautiful...

Thank you!!

Laura

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone!

Musaboru, Leona is beautiful but fleeting. Each bloom lasts only a day and the whole inflo doesn't get large. She may be better off permanently in the ground like in Hawaii. And Heirloom is a Texas seedling of Summer Spice, which is (I think) Hawaiian, unlike Mardi Gras which is Texan and a seedling of Courtade Pink.

Jennifer, I'm so happy to hear you'll get blooms soon! Your seedlings must be very happy in CA! Do you remember which variety seeds they were? Please post pics!

Lonnie, Heirloom is better this year than last year, a richer orange for sure. Maybe because it's more mature or because of the nice temps and rain we've had. It does drop some buds and Barbara Randolph said to treat it like a red: give it plenty of water! It's compact, hardy, branches well and blooms reliably--a very easy plumie to love!

I'm loving that DR seedling Emily gave me, such a great bloomer. I'd also like some doubles, and will let you know if I find some!

This post was edited by jandey on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:14

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got a pic of Pink Diamond that shows true colors:

Gladys again:

Full Aussie Confetti inflo:

Lemon Drop!

Leona with more than one bloom at a time!

Can't get over how much she looks like Waimea, but I've been told they are different.

• Hopeful2014
    9 years ago

Wow.....
    Here's mine.
    See you in four years haha :-)
    Kind regards.
    Newbie!

• pcput
    9 years ago

Jen! they are breathtaking. And your pics are beautiful of them. I'm so jealous! I might have to wait until my plants get to FL to see blooms as nice as that. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Peg

• rox146
    9 years ago

those are some great blooms and color! roxanne

• elucas101
    9 years ago

FABULOUS JEN!!! Oh my goodness, they are all so beautiful. Heirloom has such an interesting palette, it's beautiful. Gladys is gorgeous, WOW on that one! Aussie Confetti is awesome too!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

They are all beautiful, Jen! How many times, day and night, do you run outside to look at them? Just don't burn supper! lol

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Jen!!!

Love all of them especially Heirloom and Pink Diamond.. ;-). Darn you!! Lol

I thought I was done this year. I'll be thinking of you when I am out on the west coast looking for these beauties.. You might refresh my memory. In a text about the details.. Thanks!!

I'll send my best to Bud for you too!!!

Gorgeous.. We need to chat. Lol!! I have some funny things to share...

Xo

Laura

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Peg! Did your cutting root, btw? Your Celadine is doing great for me! I'll be thinking of you and Laura in CA next week!

Mona, sometimes I come home on my lunch hour just to see them again :)

Leona is actually lasting a lot longer now, and much longer than last year when she bloomed all at once and then was gone in a week and a half.

Laura, I'll text you soon.