Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jatallian

help

jatallian
11 years ago

what is the orange powder stuff on the bottom of plumeria leaves, and how to get rid of it thanks

Comments (7)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

RUST....You need to get a Fungicide that can handle it, use to be Bayleton worked. You also need to strip the leaves and when you do it try not to disturb the spores aka powder as it will travel to other plants in your yard.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I've got it on one of my plants as well.

Freak4plumeria-

Have you tried the organic approach of mixing 1 heaping tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of Neem oil with a few drops of dish soap in 1 gallon of water and spraying the undersides of the leaves?

I'm going to start there and if that doesn't work guess I'll try GreenLight's 'Fung-Away'.

-Robert

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Robert,

I have only experienced rust 2x. The first time I purchased a rooted Plumie Plant from a seller in Naples Florida. The seller did not inspect the plumie and did not defoliate it so that when I opened the box I notice that every leaf had rust on it. The plant actually died 3 weeks later and I refuse to buy from this seller again and she still sells...URGH
    The 2nd Plumie I ordered came from JL in Hawaii and it was a rooted plant. I inspected the plant when it arrived and the plant was healthy/pest and rust free. Well 7 days later I noticed the rust under the leaves and immediately defoliated it and sprayed it with Fung Away everyday for a week(I know its over kill). Well the plumie had no issues after that or re-occurrence of rust.

I have tried some natural products such as Safer Fungicide which is sulfur based. But for Rust you need heavy duty to make sure its under control. In So Cal we do not really get rust its more of a semi tropical/tropical issue (Fl, Hi) and any where it gets hot and HUMID being the key word. I use to apply Fung Away 2x a week to keep Mold, Mildew and even insects away. I guess Fung Away besides smelling toxic is actually deadly as mites, bees Spiders etc would die if you sprayed it on them. Good Luck finding Fung Away as it is banned I believe except for the crystals you apply to your lawn.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

You could try Actinovate for rust. Not as nasty as the chemicals available to treat fungi. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Actinovate

11 years ago

Jandey,

Thank you for another organic option! I hate using nasty chemicals and always try the organic approach first. :)

-Robert

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, my pleasure! I always appreciate the many tips I pick up here and am glad to pass on anything I find as well.

11 years ago

This forum has been a godsend for a plumie newbie like myself. I've been growing fragrant plants successfully for years but there's lots to learn about plumies. :)

I also appreciate Freak4plumerias knowledge and experience. Hope I don't have to strip my 'Scentsational' leaves and resort to major chemicals but I will if they're needed to save the tree...especially after No-Clue keeps writing such glowing reviews on it! ;)

-Robert