Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidgetsocal

Wildfire in trouble - please help

gidgetsocal
9 years ago

Hi. I am always so focused on the tips of my plumeria. I was horrified when I saw this was going on at the base of Wildfire. The area is still firm and not squishy at all. Oddly, it looks like the cut is at the base of the soil. This plant is pushing its first inflo and is growing leaves on all tips. It doesn't appear to be in trouble up top yet. Do you think I need to cut this plant to save it? Can I can leave it? I am so bummed. I hope someone can help me save this plant.

Comments (17)

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Did you have stones/gravel around the base of the Wildfire, I see stones scattered around the surface of the soil, they can collect heat from the sun and actually cook the plumie if they are touching the base?
    If not the bottom below the soil surface may have been too moist, now the roots and base of WF might have gone bad.
    You may want to dig around the base of the trunk and remove some of the soil to see what it looks like below the cut line and roots.
    If it looks dark or squishy below the soil you will have to cut.
    If you did have gravel and it got basically cooked you will most likely have to cut.

Good Luck

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

freak4plumeria - There are no stones, but I think that is perlite from the potting medium. So, I dug down a little, and this is what I saw. No trunk below the soil line...What do you think? Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Gidget,
    I do not see any new white root growth. Id probably cut it and re-root it, or graft it.

Good Luck

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you freak4plumeria. I was afraid of that. The inflo is still so small, and I am worried about cutting it off and causing it to rot from up top, too...it is a 5 tipper. I wonder if it would be okay to leave the inflo. Can you tell that I don't want to cut it off?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Yeah looks like its rotting. I had a Jenny just do that to me. Save as much as you can and re-root. Youll need to sacrifice the inflo :(

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

James.. Look at the bottom right hand side of the bottom area.. Look at those small white roots,, could it be trying to re root? I had one that did the same thing.. Can you expose the pic? I'll do it and I want you to see...

Hold on Gigetsocal...

;-)

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Laura,
    OH NO YOU DIDN't.... Did you blow up/magnify the pic as to say my eyes are too old and need assistance ....LOL
    I actually do wear my reading glasses when on the computer..lol
    PS... Thats my trick, usually download and enlarge the pic to see details, or to read docs, articles etc....lol.

Ok, back to the picture and the WF. Gigetsocal since the plants with u, you may want to pull it out of the pot and wash away the soil to expose the whole rootball and see if there is any activity. Laura was saying there might be some white, which might be roots on the right of the pic. If you see white root growth anywhere on the plant I personally would check to see if the shriveled base is firm, and maybe prick it with a pin to see if white latex flows. If the base has squishy areas or when you prick it you see coffee colored fluid flow out, but there is white root growth I would cut the bad area out till you see white, but leave the area the new roots were coming from alone. After you cut it all away I would clean it with Physan 20, treat with fungicide like a sulfur based one (safer makes a sulfur based spray fungicide I use.), then seal the cut area with a spray tree pruning sealer or Chalking as it will covered with soil.
    Ok hope that helps but def pull the WF out of the pot and wash away what u can of the soil and dead roots.
    Cheers

9 years ago

LMAO!! You are to funny.. " oh , yes I did... ". For my own eyes!!! that's how I saw the tiny white roots... It was just a thought to mention and for you to get those glasses on that I am already wearing!! ;-). Never ever suggesting that your eyes need any help!!! ;-)

To funny, but I thought it might be a way to save before cutting.. That's is a last resort, so if there is any way to keep it going... Here is a pic of one of mine that had terrible root burn, it rerooted itself and went on like nothing happened. It was beautiful at the top and I just wanted to give you one small way of saving her.. ( fingers crossed)

Great advise on trying to save her, James.. Good luck , Gigetsocal!

Take care, I'll take off the glasses now.. Lol!!!

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL!! I am rolling here! You both crack me up!

Laura - thanks for putting on your magic glasses!! The picture of your plumeria sending out roots gives me hope!

Don't feel bad James, I didn't see it, and the plant is right in front of me! LMAO! Thank you for the detailed advice. I had no clue how to proceed here.

Okay, so this weekend, I will pull Wildfire up and take a look-see down below. FIngers crossed! I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

Wendi

• texasplum
    9 years ago

good luck and hope all goes well! Don't feel bad Emerson told me he has even had a few problems with his.

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, texasplum! I hope it can recover.

9 years ago

Here is the same tree that had the roots coming from the side.. This is what it looked like later that summer...

Thought I would show how it took over the container. I later repotted it and this was the only root system that was healthy. I root pruned and repotted it. But it didn't skip a beat!!!

Good luck with your baby!!!

Laura, out! ( taking off the glasses too! ).

Cheers, James !!! Lol

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laura! That is an amazing recovery. You give me hope! I was wondering when you repotted your baby, did you bring the soil up to cover the roots? I wasn't sure if I should bury the burnt part of mine.

Thanks so much for your encouragement!! I will have to show Wildfire your plumie pic and give it a pep talk! ;-)

• gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wildfire update....

There were white roots below! ;-) She was moved to a new pot and cleaned up.

Now, less than 3 months later, she is blooming and happy.

Wildfire is grateful that Laura had her magic glasses on!

Mahalo James, Laura, Mike, and Shane for your help and encouragement!

9 years ago

YEA!!!

;-)

Glasses can be very useful.... Lol !!!
    I'm so glad it recovered and is doing well for you!

Wendi.. Mahalo!!!

Laura

• texasplum
    9 years ago

glad it made it! It is looking great and I love the color on it. thanks for the update

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Gidget, what a wonderful happy ending! She looks awesome!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH