Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

Finding another Dwarf Singapore Pink

Does any one know anywhere in the So Cal area that I can find a DSP bigger than a cutting/newly rooted plant? We planted the one we have, now it needs a buddy to match! (Bill, I used a modified version of your planter design with the Mexican river rocks, as you can see!)

The nursery said this plant came from a grower in Fontana.

Comments (16)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! I hope you can find a mate soon.

I'm going to have to start thinking about my back yard. I don't know if where I am is safe enough to plant my Plumies. But how will I fit everything and where I do not know! But I love your yard!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Check out Upland Nursery in the OC. On their website you can see a pic of a row of DSP planted in those gigantic crate-like wood containers. And they are double the size of the one in your pic. These might probably be really pricey, but I believe they might have smaller ones.

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Beautiful yard! I see you have citrus and a fig. What kind?

• Kimo
    11 years ago

DG,

I know Sonia found a large DSP several years ago at Lowes I believe. I also so a thread on GW where someone else maybe in No Cal bought 2 DSP from Lowes this season. I dont know what area of So Cal your in but you may want to call around to the different Lowes. I know that Ampol usually has DSPs grafted but you need an in with him to buy.
    Good Luck

• Kimo
    11 years ago

DG,
    You also may want to Email Jennifer or Doug at MPG as they USE to have HUGE DSP cuttings. I bought my DSP from them in 2004 or 2005 and it was about 3ft tall and huge. Here are some pics of when I just received it and right after it rooted.
    Cutting next to a ruler:

After water rooting in a 2 gal pot:

This is from end of June after re-potting to a 5 gal a year after rooting.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow Freak that's gorgeous!! Thanks for posting that!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

That is really amazing Freak. :O I'm in awe.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, I think I ended up answering my own question - thanks to everyone who posted!! I went back to the nursery where I got the first one, and lo and behold, there was one left that had been tucked away somewhere the last time that I visited. It's kind of got a funky shape, but I think with patience and staking it'll look just as good as the other one. I did notice on both plants that almost every tip has an inflo ... and some of the inflos even have inflos:

I've never seen that before!!

rcantor - We have only been in this house for a year, so the fruit trees are all inherited. We have a meyer lemon, satsuma mandarin, some other kind of mandarin orange, the fig tree (don't know what kind of figs, but they're so good), a small banana tree, and a pink grapefruit tree.

No Clue - To plant or not to plant - that is the question! LOL! I have two other plumeria planted in the raised bed, a Cal Sally and a Guillot's Sunset. The Cal Sal had a really difficult time over the winter, getting black tip or just tip die-back from some cold nights that we had before I covered them both with frost cloths. It's just now waking up. Everyone who was portable went into a greenhouse. I also had to explain to my husband that I didn't want to plant many of my plumeria because I wouldn't want to leave them behind if we moved!

freak - that's a good tip about Lowes. I always check the plumeria there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a DSP in a different area. I'll keep an eye out!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Dao G,
    There are different shapes and growth habits of inflos like the chandelier, etc. I think in JLs Book how to grow plumerias theres a section on the different types and how the grow and flower differently. So especially with DSP that is not an uncommon type of inflo, just enjoy...
    Congrats on your find!!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Doagirl,

Can't wait to see after you planted that second one. It's going to look so beautiful! Yep I can't decide what to do w/ mine. I better stop buying soon or I won't have any room to do anything with them. Post pics when you're done. :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Freak, that's interesting that you water-rooted DSP--is that what you'd recommend for it? Are there other cultivars you find do better water-rooted?

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Jaundey,
    I water root 99 percent of my cuttings. The only cuttings I do not water root are tips or branches that snap off the mother plant, then I just poke it in the same pot the parent is in.

• pcput
    11 years ago

freak4plumeria, Can you give us more info on water rooting? Things like how deep in the water,changing water,additives-H2O2,superthrive,ect.,how long they take,when to move to dirt,ect. I've never water rooted any and would love to give it a try. Thanks, Peg

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I prefer water rooting myself. I find a lot of plumeria root easier for me in water. Not sure how James does it but my beast success witth water rooting was using rain water with either Superthrive or this root and grow liquid I have. In some cases I have had roots form in a matter of 3-4 days and others.....MONTHS, and NO ROT!

For example I found that Nebel's Rainbow refused to root for me in my mix but once in water, it rooted in a few days.

Andrew

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, here they are! I took this picture just after sunset yesterday, right after we finished planting (hence the darkness). The new one has some crazy staking to give it a better shape:

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh beautiful!! I love it!! So where do you keep all your other plumies?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction