Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Companion plants for your plumies?

moonie_57 (8 NC)
11 years ago

What else do you all grow?

I'm crazy about bananas but over the last few years I've kept mostly basjoo and orinoco because I can leave them in the ground. I do have several Gran Nain because you can't beat the fruit, IMO.

Elephant ears of all kinds have always been a fav, too. My calidoras are getting huge. Illustris is so pretty, I love them and they have come back the past few years. Used to I didn't put them in the ground in fear of losing them over winter. I left some African Mask in pots that I had forgotten about and only noticed them after they leaved out again. Imagine my surprise! They are suppose to be hardy to z9.

Bouganvilleas are great too, but the bigger they get it makes it impossible to deal with without getting scarred for life by those nasty thorns.

I have 2 trachy's in the ground, still small, only a couple feet of trunk, although the biggest seems to be taking off this year. My 3 sago's completely brown every winter but keep flushing twice a year. I lost one butia a few years ago and the other one is in a huge pot. It's suppose to get planted in the ground every spring but I always chicken out after losing the other one.

I also have brugs, datura, mandevilla, duranta, jasmine, and various annuals. Every year I grow plain ole moonflowers because they are a favorite for my husband. He also likes lantana. Go figure, they smell like cat pee to me. LOL

Comment (1)

• nativec
    11 years ago

Wow, I bet your yard is beautiful! My biggest downfall is plumeria but I also grow orchids, pachipodiums, euphorbias, adeniums, bananas, elephant ears and some African oddities. My climate is a strange one so I can grow both tropical and cacti but the catch is that I get snow at least once during the winter so everything must be hauled into the greenhouse. That being said the summer growing season makes it all worth it. Oh, let's not forget the vegetable garden and pets! Keeps me busy. :)

Nicole