Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

seedling anamoly

rox146
10 years ago

Has any one had one of their seedling branches do this? The other 2 look fine and this one for the past 2 years now has gotten thicker and thicker tipped....leave it? Cut off? it is from 1 of my 25 '05 seedlings...roxanne

Comments (14)

• plucrazy
    10 years ago

Wow!! That is different. I'd leave it on just to see what it will do. These are strange plants sometimes. Clara

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thats pretty cool! I would leave it also.

Mike

• elucas101
    10 years ago

That is very odd! It is amazing what these plants do sometimes, wow!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The color of the leaves make me think it may bloom a rainbow or something like that....still waiting for it to bloom. Out of the 25 I did from one of my trees seed pods, about 10 have bloomed and that has been since '05......roxanne

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Check this out.
    http://www.plantimport.com/plumeria-cristata/
    It's hard to see on the pic, but.......
    Mike

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Mike, I will check it out....roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike I did check it out. My 82 year old friend who got me into these has a huge 12 ft. tree in the ground that kind of does this...he calls it a "Crest" roxanne

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

It does look a crest! Pretty cool!

Mark

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

now if it will only bloom....

• nativec
    10 years ago

I would leave it too. How cool! Like Maark said its like a crest. I have several succulents that have this same form. I have never seen it on plumeria. I'm sure there is some scientific genetic reason, but I have no idea what it is....LOL. Please keep us posted I'm so intrigued.

Nicole

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, when in Maui....the guy that sells birds/plumeria/pigs in Lahaina.. (called Dan's)....they have like this bonsai plumeria that is crested....very weird...I just think it must take a lot of energy from the plant.....growth instead of blooms? roxanne

• DelWH
    10 years ago

That's called a fasciated tip. They're rather common in the plant world. It may or may not bloom, but you should keep it. Some people collect those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fasciated plants

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankyou sooooo much...explains a lot...roxanne

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

I had a Swiss chard stalk do something like this. Instead of growing tall as an elongated stalk, it grew wide as well as tall, the stalk looked like a sheet of one inch thick stalk, by about a foot wide. But the most amazing thing was what happened to the green leafy growth that grew out of the entire width of that (stalk?) The entire surface of that leaf grew flower stalks, straight out of the leaf's surface, along with embrionic seeds!! It looked mutated, like something had gone wonky in it's gene pool. I showed it to my son in law, to document it existed, and then pulled every part of that plant so it wouldn't reproduce, or cross with my other Swiss chard, since I save and replant my seed.

This post was edited by desamecyra on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:45