Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little experiment

Posted by spiroan DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:30

Many of you know I've been growing seeds lately. So, I thought I would tell you about my little experiment. I ordered seeds from Brad's (5 different varieties), and I ended up getting way more seeds than I thought I would.

So, I planted half of them in a potting soil/perlite mixture on May 14th.

Of that batch:
76% germinated
9 days was the quickest one
average days to germinate was a little over 12
last one germinated in 23 days

The other half, I planted in a pot with regular garden soil in it (taken from my garden), because I was too cheap to buy more potting soil. These seeds were planted on May 31st (about 2 1/2 weeks later)

Of that batch so far:

59% have germinated
Earliest was in 17 days
Average days to germinate was 22 days
Last (so far) to germinate was in 25 days

The batches were placed in virtually the same place in my yard, and received about the same amount of moisture (not a lot, except for the initial watering). The second batch got a little more heat, as it has been in the mid-90s lately in DFW. So, I'm assuming the soil was the difference.

Anyway, I've been hearing about how important the right mix is when growing plumeria. And I just wanted everyone to know, at least from my experience, there was a pronounced difference between the potting mix/perlite soil mixture and regular garden soil. Maybe it could've been the extra 2 weeks before I planted the seeds (as I've heard the fresher seeds germinate faster), but my guess is that 2 weeks doesn't make 10 days worth of difference in germination rates.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little experiment

I've gotten excellent germination in paper towels in baggies :)

o

Hi Disney,

I forgot to add the result of the bag method. I tried five of them in bags. 4 germinated. The fastest was 6 days and the slowest was 9 days. However, the "germination" might be a little different, as I counted "germination" on the bag method as when I saw roots, and I counted "germination" from the direct sowing as when I saw noteworthy growth.

In addition, I've noticed that the ones from the bag aren't growing as quickly as the others now (and 1 got taken out of its pot by something before the root took hold in the dirt). They look healthy, but they don't seem to be growing as quickly. Of course, this is my first experience with all of it, so I certainly could have done plenty of things wrong that I don't even realize, yet. :)

o

spiroan,
seeds germinate a lot quicker when you float them on water on Styrofoam.
2013-6d1-6083266

In just 4 days they form a taproot.
2013-6k1-6123461_4 days (5)

In two weeks the have true leaves and a nice roots system.
2013-6k-6243706-2 wks afp (4) 2013-6k-6243706-2 wks afp (9)

George

o

I also use the floating styrofoam method - I had the beginnings of taproots within 24 hours with seeds from Brad (almost 100% germination rate, although I weeded some weaker ones out later).

I had a similar setup to George. I also put a string of lights (incandescent tube light) under the plastic container, and had halogen lights on them from the top (they were on our stove-top). I used a mix of distilled water/H2O2/Superthrive for the water that the seeds floated in.

o

Wow! Thank you both. Looks like I will be trying that next time. I think Disney had very early germination on his in the baggie, too. I'm gonna have to change up my methods.

o

I had very fast germination except for Penang Peach... That was the only variety that took longer than a few days.... Everything else, including mixed noids, were well sprouted within a week.

o

Wow... that is really good information for a seed newbie like me. I can't wait to give this a try.

~Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here