Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiroan

A little experiment

spiroan
10 years ago

Many of you know I've been growing seeds lately. So, I thought I would tell you about my little experiment. I ordered seeds from Brad's (5 different varieties), and I ended up getting way more seeds than I thought I would.

So, I planted half of them in a potting soil/perlite mixture on May 14th.

Of that batch:
76% germinated
9 days was the quickest one
average days to germinate was a little over 12
last one germinated in 23 days

The other half, I planted in a pot with regular garden soil in it (taken from my garden), because I was too cheap to buy more potting soil. These seeds were planted on May 31st (about 2 1/2 weeks later)

Of that batch so far:

59% have germinated
Earliest was in 17 days
Average days to germinate was 22 days
Last (so far) to germinate was in 25 days

The batches were placed in virtually the same place in my yard, and received about the same amount of moisture (not a lot, except for the initial watering). The second batch got a little more heat, as it has been in the mid-90s lately in DFW. So, I'm assuming the soil was the difference.

Anyway, I've been hearing about how important the right mix is when growing plumeria. And I just wanted everyone to know, at least from my experience, there was a pronounced difference between the potting mix/perlite soil mixture and regular garden soil. Maybe it could've been the extra 2 weeks before I planted the seeds (as I've heard the fresher seeds germinate faster), but my guess is that 2 weeks doesn't make 10 days worth of difference in germination rates.

Comments (7)