Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanr21

Jen (Jandey) - PSA Sale in Clear Lake 6/9/12

joanr
11 years ago

Jen,

Just wanted to let you know the plant list for the plumeria sale is now up on the Plumeria Society of America website.

Hope to see you there Saturday.

Joan

Comments (37)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

bout time! was going stir crazy waiting. Thanks

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

It is not... as of this posting. Bummer I guess I am going to have to wing it.

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K

I'm sorry but I thought they had loaded the list by now. Joan

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi K

I just checked and it is up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant List for June Sale

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Man I wish I could go! Do they list prices or do you use the letters to figure it out? I see Bill M there.

Andrew

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Andrew

The letter represents the table number for that particular seller. Won't know the price till we get there. But I already see a couple that I would love to have.

Joan

• jandey1
    11 years ago

LOL, Joan, I'd already bugged the custodian of my big purchase about the missing list and he told me today it's up. Thank you for thinking of me! Can't wait for Saturday! Did you find out where you'll be yet? I'll stop by and see you.

Jen

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, you go girl! I hope you all have a wonderful experience in Clear Lake. Please post your treasures. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

that's it...I'm taking the truck.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

K, can you make a detour to Austin? Just in case I can't fit my purchase in the SUV, hehe. Did you get my email with the photos attached?

Thanks, Barbra. I plant, I mean, plan to take lots of pics.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I just wish you both the best of luck. May the Plumeria Gods, be smiling upon you. Barbra

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen

I will probably be helping with checkout. Just ask for Joan! If I decided on what I am going to wear, I'll let you know.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Jen I'll help you out no problem. I'll give you a call on Saturday morning.

Joan,
    I'll be the guy running around like its black friday and the Walmart just opened. :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, I'll wear a bright pink polo shirt so you can't miss me.

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen,

There will probably be 10 people there with bright pink polo shirts on now :) But that's okay, I will still find you especially if you are near the "guy running around like it is Black Friday at Wal-Mart" but we won't mention any names!!!!

I am soooo glad y'all will be able to make it. I hear that there are going to be LOTS of plants there for sale. I already have my list marked with the ones I would like to get if the price is right.

Hey, did y'all see the write up they had in the Houston Chronicle on plumerias this past Saturday. It was a very good write up and nice pictures!

Joan

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

My typical interaction with newspapers is to step over the complimentary USA today which the hotel dropped at your door. However, A co-worker gave me a copy of the same article in the San Antonio paper. It was in the "San Antonio Living" section no less. I wondered why they were talking about the Staffords from Pasadena like they were local.

I guess times tough enough that papers now share the same stories.

• surfbreeze
    11 years ago

I am anxious to attend and am definitely close enough to drive up. I have a collection of plumerias and there is a variety I am definitely interested in obtaining that is notably difficult to root. Are there usually rooted plants of all of those on the list available?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, I know you're going to a later sale, but if there's something you want for this weekend, let me know.

Joan, thanks for the link. I love that the Staffords are both equally passionate about plumies. And I really love Lake's Passion, even without being a fan of purples. What a way to down-size--800 down to 300!

Will they have shopping carts like the Katy show did last year?

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K - Too funny about the article in the San Antonio paper but it was a good article and the Stafford's are two of the nicest people you could ever meet and very knowledgeable about plumerias. I honestly don't think there is anything they do not know about plumerias. If I have a question, I know they will usually have an answer.

Surfbreeze - Yes, they generally have all potted plants and only a few cuttings. Just be sure you tug on the plant to make sure it is rooted. One year I bought a plant to only have it die on me. I found out it was a cutting in the pot and I treated it like a rooted plant :(

Jen - They should have carts but if you need help my husband will be there and we can always get him to hold and carry :)

Should be an interesting and hopefully productive day for all, if for no other reason than to see all the beautiful flowers and plants in one place.

Joan

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Joan, you rock! Thanks for the offer to borrow your husband. Fortunately I have really long arms; you'd be amazed at how many plumies I can carry at once, lol. I just need to keep a hand free to take pics for those who can't be here.

Good tip about tugging on the cuttings! I just assumed all were well rooted last year. Emerson and Nan even labeled theirs with dates rooted, which was very helpful.

Surfbreeze, here's an example of what I found at last year's August show:

Definitely worth your time if you want to find hundreds of prime plants and talk to the people who know best about growing them. Last year I had as much fun talking as buying.

If you see a lady in a bright pink polo shirt talking to a guy running around like it's Walmart on Black Friday, come over and say hi!

Jen

• pcput
    11 years ago

Jen, Joan, K and anyone else that's going, Have fun and a good time. We'll be thinking of ya and wishing we were there. Peg

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And for those that can't make this sale, there will be another in July in Rosenberg. That one will probably even be better than this one as the cuttings will have more time to grow. And for those coming from San Antonio/Hill Country it will even be closer for you. Maybe Barbra will be able to make that one!

Joan

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Geez, those pics give me goosebumps! LOL

Y'all have fun!

• surfbreeze
    11 years ago

It looks great!! Thanks for posting the pics. I may have to wait until the one in Rosenberg. I was just there at the Ft.Bend fairgrounds just a few of months ago for a citrus sale. Have a great time and thanks for the posts.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Well.... all of us are wondering what everyone picked up today!!! Hope everyone had fun and enjoyed shopping. :o)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Wendys right! what did you guys get??? Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Jackie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Well I can't stand it any longer. What Plumeria did you get????? Barbra

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

I think they are all too busy potting up and fighting buyers remorse to take and upload photos. ;o) But hopefully later?!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Haha! You all crack me up! Yes, I've been too busy fussing over my new babies to upload photos but I promise lots when I get to it.

I strolled around in a cool and collected manner and therefore lost out on any big blooming trees I might have snagged. Some people raced around like maniacs and snapped those up immediately. Of course, the sellers got first pick of the other sellers' wares so they walked away with the prime goodies. I tried to talk one out of their pre-sale purchase but they had the nerve to turn me down. Some people, sheesh. ;)

But I did find one that's been on my list for some time, an unusual one that is reputed to be a great bloomer, big flower, and compact. You can judge for yourself from the link below.

More later!

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: PSA purchase

• pcput
    11 years ago

It's beautiful Jen !!! That one "raced around like a maniac" must have been K !!! I'm sure he was in good company. Hope you all had fun. What does your new baby smell like? Peg

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, yes I was one of "those" that snapped-up one of the prime goodies. I was able to get a stock TREE of Katie Moragne. One of the sellers was getting rid of some of her stock plants and now I kick myself that I didn't buy another!!! I don't have it home yet. My sister and BIL and bring it in their van. It was too big to fit in our truck. Once I get that baby home, I will post pictures!!!

The sale was amazing. I hope Jen got some good pictures. All the tables were loaded with plants and by the end of the day, only a very, very few remained. There were a lot of people that went home very happy that day and they were able to get some beautiful plants.

And yes, I did meet this one guy that was running around like he was at a Black Friday sale at Walmart. Not sure what he bought but I believe he had a "good time"!!!

Hopefully the sale in Rosenberg in July will be as successful. And no, I didn't sell anything but I did work the entire time. I was helping with checkout!!!

Joan

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Peg, believe me, K did not in any way stand out as a maniacal racer--the crowd was full of those! You'd think these things were being given away for free the way people snatched them up!

Mine didn't come with blooms; the only one of those at the show with an inflo was bought before the doors opened by another seller, and they wouldn't part with it. So I'll have to wait awhile for blooms from mine. I wish I could remember the scent better--I smelled so many they began to blur together--but it wasn't a strong one, kinda herbally/spicy, I think.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

LOL...my sister in law came with me as a tempering force. My father in law was also going to come but a nasty rumor started circulating around the friday night dinner table that I planned to kick his cane out from under him in the sale's main entrance to slow traffic down while I grabbed all the goodies. I don't how these rumors get started. I only said I was considering it and if necessary I might need him to be a team player.

By the time the doors opened there were 100+ people in line. I figure Jandy, my SIL, and I were in the first 15-20 people in the door. I picked up 5 rooted plants in no particular order:
    Loretta
    Fruit Salad
    Aussie Confetti
    Samoan Fluff
    Dwarf Orange

However in full disclosure...if Jandy posts any pictures with a shadowy, blurred figure wearing a Dallas Cowboys visor pushing a red shopping cart at speed...that may or may not have been me. It was a very nice event. Some prices were extraordinary and some were fair deals. After the initial busy period some of the growers were very gracious to discuss thier techniques, where they buy supplies/materials, etc. Some others chose not to engage for whatever reason.

I picked up contact info from those growers who were willing to share their knowledge and will look for their plants first at any future sales or as online sources. Many thanks to the PSA people and to the growers.

• joanr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was lucky enough to get the following:

Buddharaska - a one tip plant - can't wait to see it bloom
    Sundance (blooming) and is very pretty

Cuttings:
    Thai Puttaraska
    Gulf Stream
    Maya Sangre (rooted)

My husband was looking at a flowering plant and turned to tell my sister to come look at it and before he could turn back around, someone snatched it and was off :) I told him next time to grab it and only let go if you decide you don't want it!!! Hum, maybe it was that mad Walmart shopper!

And K is right. Some of the growers are very happy to give you any information they can. They are for the most part a very sharing group of people. Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions.

Wish everyone could have been there.

Joan

• pcput
    11 years ago

Sounds like you all had a good time on the plumeria hunt. Also got some good plants. Joan, men just don't know how to shop. I don't think they got the gene. Oh ! wait K got it. I guess it's a hit or miss thing then.
    K-I fell over laughing at your "kick his cane out from under him" (good thinking).
    It looks like you all had fun. We will be waiting for the pics !!! Peg

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Sounds like you had a ball!!! And from what you have posted got some beauties!!! Post those pics. Anxious to see. No plumie plant sales anywhere around me so I have to live thru you guys. lol.

Jackie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

K,
    Sounds like you have a great collection with your new additions... SO..? I need to ask? Ammmhmmm... How many did you trip when you burst thru the doors? Really? LMAO!!!

I want to go shopping with you to this sale next year. I know you are one guy that "gets it" LOL...So. Congratulations fom all of us ladies that would love to have a DH just like you!!! LOL... I know you mean well, but would you really do that? : ) Don't worry, i know the truth!!! I watched the security at the show...LOLOLOLO!!! Nice moves... " )

Joan,

I like your list too!

Jen,

How is the new TLD? Is it what you wanted? Did K help you? or did he pick up yours!! You have a great sense of humor K...We all love to mess with you!!! It is nice to have one of the guys right in the middle of all of those women. You are brave!!!

I cant wait to see all of the pics... I was out in Indiana at a family reunion, learning about plowing, cows and how to drive a huge Case Tractor. I will say the i can drive those huge babies and i had a ball.. SO Dave P... I can do this even with nails... LOL... The farmers were quite impressed!!! LOL. I even drove a John Deere with all of the equipment spraying Nitrogen on the corn... I haven;t heard the last from the family yet on that one. LOL... They offered me a job!! : )

Sorry i missed the sale and all of the action...

Take care,

Laura

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms