Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phet Pachara - anybody growing this one?

Posted by robert1971 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 16:32

Somehow I 'accidently' ordered this from Brad's Blooms since it's supposed to be highly fragrant. ;)
Does anyone know its growth habit? Does it stay fairly compact or does it turn into a huge tree?
Does it bloom freely?
The only thing I've found online is the mentioning of its great fragrance.

It was a tossup between Phet Pachara, Kimi Moragne and Pink Pansy but knowing me I'll probably get at least one of the others. :)

Any info would be helpful.
Thank you,

Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phet Pachara - anybody growing this one?

Robert,

I had one. Tends to be more dense or compact like Penang Peach, and yes it will grow into a tree but a dense one. The flowers need heat to bring out the Salmon orange cast in the flower. You will get many inflos but the inflos are not huge, more like Nebels Gold.

o

Yay! Thank you for the info. Looks like with proper pruning I can try to keep it more compact.
What's your opinion on its scent if you don't mind me asking?

-Robert

o

My Phet Pachara finally bloomed!
Here's a pic of it the day before it fully opened.
I love the dark yellows and pinks in the petals and buds.

-Robert

o

And here's a pic today when it is fully opened. So far the scent is a light coconut scent but the humidity is low and the temperatures and sun light levels are low and it's been growing underneath fluorescent lights at night so I'm cutting it some slack. ;)
I'm hoping the scent will get stronger. If not I'll wait until next summer!

-Robert

o

I sniffed it tonight after work and it has a sweet perfume like scent. Smells great! Can't wait to sniff it on a hot and muggy summer night. :)

-Robert

o

What a gorgeous shape! Looks like it'll be a long-lasting bloom, too. Wish I could smell it...

o

In heat the edges of the petal look pink/lavender.

o

Hi Robert!

Looks beautiful to me!

Great job..

Laura

o

Thanks, everyone! She continues to open more blooms.
Jen, you're right! It does appear that the blooms are long lasting. :)

-Robert

o

Dang you, Phet!

All this talk of late inflos got me to snoop through my plumie patch (I've been watching inflos on Duke and Chiang Mai Rainbow) and noticed Phet Pachara is putting one up.
I'm sure there's no way there will be time for it to develop and bloom before the cold shuts it down.
I'm starting to think this one is just a late bloomer. :(

-Robert

o

Hey Robert

Thats great! I bet you can get it to open again. You May have to do the in and out of the house dance, Did you see we have a chance for low 40's this weekend and one site said high 30's.

Mike

o

Hey, Mike!

This year I planted it in a huge black plastic pot I got at Southwood on sale for 5 bucks last year so no trying to grow it inside under lights. Maybe the basement? I can say it does appear to be fairly compact compared to my other trees.
Saw the cold coming our way. Guess I'll haul everything into the garage and basement over the weekend and then haul everything back out next week. Good exercise, eh? ;)

-Robert

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 10:59

yeah im not sure what Ill do just yet. If they say just low 40's ill probably leave everything out since next week looks to warm up. If they say anything that starts with a 3 ill be getting some exercise too.

mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here