Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjcantor

Another newbie says hi!

rjcantor
11 years ago

Hi! I love fragrant plants but am new to Plumeria. Wish me luck and any suggestions welcome. I've read the basics but would like a variety of scents. Not exactly sure what 'herbal' is like. I already grow figs so I know what 'enough but not too much' water is like :) Mine will stay in pots and be indoors for the winter.

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Welcome

so have you purchased one yet? or needing advise on what to get. I would start with a rooted plant first. Rooting a cutting is pretty easy and straight forward but paying just a bit more for one that is rooted will help you learn how to care for one and enjoy them faster. Cuttings are cheaper to buy and to ship though. Which one to get is up to your tastes. The colorful "flashy" ones typically need a lot of sun and heat to show their true colors so keep that in mind.

Mike

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Welcome to the group. I am a newbie as well. Everyone here is very warm and will try to answer any questions you may have.
    What I did was to go back and read lots of posts. I learned most everything I know from asking and reading older pages on this forum. If you cant find an answer, ask and someone who is more seasoned so to speak will answer. There alot of people on here willing to help us newbies get going. They love their plumies and it shows. This is the most warm and welcoming group I have ever been part of. You will be glad you found it. I know I am :)

Jackie

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I'm looking around at various websites. Plumeria Paradise has 4 positive reviews on garden watchdog. Their price per plant is a little high, but shipped prices are competitive. tropical nature of hawaii also has good reviews. Any thoughts on them?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Rcantor,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I have not had any experience with the above mentioned seller. There are many great sellers around and have been mentioned all over these forums. Here are a few that come to mind..

Maui Plumeria Gardens
    Florida Colors
    Brads Buds and Blooms

Ebay.. One-stop-aloha Bloomingplumerias

I hope this helps a little..

SOme others will chime in and hopefuly give you some other names..

Good Luck

Once again, WELCOME!!!

Laura

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I'd like to add a California nursery -- Upland Nursery. Some of their prices may be a bit stiff but I was happy with what I bought.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hello,
    I would go with all that Laura mentioned, and if you can find a Dwarf Singapore Pink, I highly recommend starting with this one. Not really fussy, easy to grow, and nice blooms. May not be as fancy as most plumeria but it does perform well and if you can give it full sun over the winter(with warm temps), you can probobly get it to bloom!

Andrew

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I got in on some ebay auctions yesterday and bought KANEOHE SUNRISE, MARY PAKUI and NEBEL'S (LEI) RAINBOW from some unknown first time seller named bloomingplumerias :)
    I foolishly let EVENING SKY get away from me because of the lack of interest in the others. I read a few best places to purchase threads so that's how I knew he was good. Thanks, loveplants2 for the info! I'll look for the Dwarf Singapore Pink, too.

Thanks for the welcomes!

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Rcantor-
    I recommend Jungle Jack's as a source for rooted plants. I am very happy with the ones he sent me, particularly Thumbalina.
    Like Jackie, I learned SO much from reading old posts, and there is always someone ready to answer questions.

Check the container gardening forum too. Al does some great posts and has a way of explaining things that is very clear and methodical but friendly and not pretentious. Check the link below for one of his many awesome discussions on soil.
    Welcome, and have fun!

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils

11 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for adding JJ's and Upland Nursery.. (Kim and Rachel) It was so late when i posted last night. I knew you guys would add some good reputable additions. Thank you!! )Rachel.. I think you are making me want Thumbalina too!) : )

Rcantor,

Sounds like you had a good time on Ebay!! LOL.. Way to go! You will be very happy with your new trees. You made some great choices!!!

Andrew is right about the DSP!! What a beauty!!!

Rachel. Thank you for adding AL's link. He is truly a very helpful gentleman. He does know what he is talking about. I have learned so much from him!

Here is another link for others to see what he has posted here for some of the Plumeria people. Thank you AL!! : )

Take Care,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils and Your Plants Nutrition

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al Tapla and I go way back :) We have the same issues with figs needing lots of oxygen and no perched water. Thanks for the linx!

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

I would be LOST without Al. He wrote something on fertilizers I was reading last week. I can't find the post, but it was very informative. I'll link to it if I can find it. Threw my Bloom Booster away afterwards tho...

I had never fully understood the PWT before the thread Laura linked to above. I knew it existed and tried to explain why NOT to put rocks in the bottom of pots to people for years, but then the light bulb went on! Yippee for Al (Al, if you're reading this, THANK YOU!!!)

Laura- When Thumbalina gets big enough I'll give you a cutting. She is wonderful and we're in love. I can't remember what my life was like before she came into it ;)

Again, rcantor, Welcome!!! Nice wins on ebay.
    Rachel

11 years ago

Thank you Rachel!! Had to chuckle about being in love.. Thumbalina sounds wonderful!!! Sure is nice to be in love eh? I guess that i have many to love as well!!!! : )

Thank you for your offer...so sweet!!

R cantor... Nice post and once again...welcome!!

Laura

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

You guys are so nice ...... I should come around here more often! ;-) Thanks for the kind words!

Al

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!