Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdb319

Looking for Hula Girl cutting

Ever since I saw a listing of "Hula Girl" on ebay, I have feel in love with this plumeria. Does anyone know where I could find a cutting? I know BBB has one rooted but I hate to pay $40 + dollars for it. Or does someone that has a hula girl tree that could possibly offer a cutting? I could send money through paypal for it if so.

I appreciate anyone that helps me find one. ;)

Comments (17)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

I would email 1 Stop Aloha and see if he still has Hula available, or when it will be up for auction again.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Kim,

I agree with ProudmamaSD. I'd email Matt, I got a cutting from him and since there were no other bidders I managed to get it for $20. That was after watching it sell for much higher prices for a few weeks. Sometimes waiting it out pays off :). Good luck getting your Hula Girl. I will also say BBB's plants are worth the additional price as they are usually larger.

Nicole

• parrotpaul
    11 years ago

I picked up this Hula Girl yesterday at the Armstrong Garden Center in Irvine, CA...It has four branches...a little one is hidden..Each branch had a flower stalk forming...I put it into the 20 inch pot, and I plat to plant in the ground it next spring. The plant cost $100, but the things is lovely, and the time saved growing it to this point was well worth the money...I have a perfect spot for it...plus I hope to have some lovely flowers this summer.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Hula Girl cutting on ebay. No bids. Auction closes in 10 hours

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay auction

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, managed to get one from BBB rooted. I tried bidding on ebay before but it turned into a bidding war. ;)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

I believe you're better off with the rooted cutting anyway.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Parrotpaul, your Hula Girl is gorgeous! I want one as well! But that price is pretty expensive no?

Does anyone have another source I can try? Thanks!

• Tony10
    11 years ago

They also had a 5 gallon Hula girl at my local Armstrong that was very similar...very symmetrical..3 tips 3 inflos..gorgeous but $100 bucks.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

That is expensive right? I am tempted though. Wonder if I will find one that size at the Sept plant sale. What to do... buy now or wait until then?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kim, you'll be so glad you got a rooted one and don't have to go through the aggravation and wait for a cutting. That's a year's worth of growing time you've bought yourself.

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Yes, it's expensive but as Plumies continue to gain in popularity, I think the prices will just continue to go up.

The inflos were all VERY new so I am not sure if it will even have a chance to flower completely before things start slowing down. They did have them all in shade so maybe with full sun the inflos will develop quickly.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I'm still undecided for I really want that Hula Girl!!

Should I or should I not? LOL...

• parrotpaul
    11 years ago

Hi...I'm back....since I purchased the above Hula Girl, she has grown and matured and is beginning to flower beautifully

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Parrotpaul, what's her fragrance? Mine has grown maybe 1, 1 1/2 to 2 inches already. Seems to be a tall grower because my leafs are spaced out relatively far. I'm hoping for some flowers next summer. *crosses fingers*

• parrotpaul
    11 years ago

It is not a perfumy fragrance...more of a musky...cinnaminy..kind of 1950's wanna eat it crayon fragrance (crayons smell different these days). It is unusually delicious...sexy if you will, and I find my self frequently going to sniff...well worth the C note....there is probably four inches of new growth since I got it in early August...it appears to be pushing out new branches already...it still get six hours of full sun and the temps have been in the 90's...it loves it.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

The blooms are awesome for sure. I can close my eyes and pretend to inhale.

You know you are right about crayons I found some really ones ones when cleaning the storage after the hurricane, they were probably 25 years old, the container was sealed so they were dry. The smell was totally different than those now. I barely even recognize the colors any more.
    Tally HO!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting... I like a cinnamon smell. I don't quiet know the scent that you are talking about with the 1950s crayons as I wasn't around back then (would of loved to have been though!). Even if I would ask my mom (she's a 40s/50s kid) she probably would reply "How would I know?" LOL.

But if you find yourself sniffing it frequently then it must smell good LOL. ;)