Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dourbest

Sunburn and...foil?

dourbest
10 years ago

Hi. Just want to be prepared for the So. Ca. Sun. Last year the plumeria cutting on the left got really sunburned. I read on the forum that I can use bathroom tissue or paper towel rolls.

That plumeria on the right looks funny. Good thing they're in my back yard!

Anyways, I also read that foil can be used to wrap around the stems too. Does anyone out there have some pictures they can share of their plants wrapped up in foil? Would you recommend the use of foil? The temps here can reach over 100 during the summer. Do you use foil or have any other alternative?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi George,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and adding those pictures. They help very much. Here is a picture without the rolls. I believe those are sunburns too. Yes?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looks like sunburn to me!!!

Dourbest... I have also had burns up the stem before and i cover wherever they need it!!

We have to do, what we have to do!! ;-)

Thanks for the pics, George!!

Take care,

Laura

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Dourbest,
    that is a sunburn. It normally does not happen unless the plumeria is close to another object (~6" away). Then you get reflection radiation from that object and could result in sunburn higher up. It can also happen easily in a greenhouse because it traps heat. Was that plumie in a greenhouse?
    George

• rox146
    10 years ago

I will add that the foil thingy has saved me from the paper tube thingy. BUT, someone on here said you can use reg. sunblock the same as you would put on yourself up to SPF 50....spray or rub on...I have not tried this yet, BUT sounds interesting. We have a super modern house and I am thinking a total foil wrap of all the "dead man fingers" for the holidays...could look really cool.

Laura, I have decided that why I can't get this is because I am pretty much right brained.

The kid down the street comes to help the stupid 60 yr. old in a few days....cannot wait to post photos of our yard. mahalo again, roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Just curious if the foil is more likely to trap water in a pocket against the trunk versus the cardboard tube?

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Probably not a big issue since the foil (I use the heavy duty foil) is wrapped pretty tight around the trunk and you can easily take it off to check if water does get on it.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Probably not a big issue since the foil (I use the heavy duty foil) is wrapped pretty tight around the trunk and you can easily take it off to check if water does get on it.

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding the two plumerias in the original post, they were sunburned in full sun while we were in Vegas for a few days. These two bigger guys were given to me last year. I don't know where they were from. I started rooting them but had a hard time. Eventually, I just left them alone this past winter and they rooted without any help from me.

Boy, was I surprised to find roots last month!

Ellie....

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm just imagining putting zinc oxide on my plumies in neon colors a la 1985 ... Zinka here I come!!

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Kms2,
    any trapped moisture will evaporate in the heat of the day. Bark has a skin and is not susceptible to rot like cut branches are (where the pith rots from being wet). Foil is a lot more durable in rain than paper.

George

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Ellie,
    that left plumeria in the new picture is sunburned all the way up. Was it in the greenhouse or close to something (wall, etc.)?
    George

• dourbest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George,

Here is another angle of the plant. The two plants were given to me at the same time. I don't know how they became sunburned.

Looks like they chopped off all the limbs and didn't want the main trunk. I thought I would try rooting them even though they looked pretty sad. Originally, I tried to root them but failed. I pretty much gave up on them and to my surprise I noticed new growth last month and dug it up from the pot to check for roots.

Alas, I have no bragging rights whatsoever since they rooted with no help from me.

Ellie

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago

I'm currently using cardboard cores to protect my plumeria trunks from sun damage. They look really funny. My neighbor commented that they look like they're wearing crutches. The foil seems easier to use. Has anyone tried using burlap to cover their plumeria trunks for sun protection? I have a lot of coffee burlap sacks.

• Photo Synthesis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I'd still comment on it anyways and hopefully provide some help. I only have one plumeria (so far), but I've wrapped up the trunks of other plants before. What I used was this type of wrap. It works great at protecting the trunks of plants. It's what it's made for. It's breathable and stretchy, so you don't have to worry about moisture buildup or having it constrict your plants at all. However, I do want to say that I've never used it on my plumeria, but I don't see why you couldn't. Plus, I think it would be more aesthetically appealing, without having your plant looking like it's on crutches, so to speak.

Just do a quick search online, and you can find several different brands for sale. Hope this helps.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    5 years ago

any reason diluted white latex paint could not be used ? As they do for young fruit trees...

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago

Thank you! Yes I saw the tree wrap product and that's what made me think of using all the coffee burlap sacks I have on hand. I'm going to try using combo of all 3: burlap, foil and cardboard cores since I have a lot of plumerias to protect. Currently lots of the cardboard are just folded up boxes which is why they look like they've been in a car accident.

• Photo Synthesis
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, but I can't help but chuckle when I think of your plumerias looking like they were in a car accident and using crutches. It's just a funny mental image. But on a more serious note, if you use the tree wrap I suggested, it would be all that you'd need to protect it. Your plants would benefit better from still having good air flow around their trunks, letting them dry out whenever they get wet. I think that using burlap or foil would inhibit that and quite possibly invite a whole nother set of problems. And this breathable tree wrap is designed to reflect away most of the sun's heat.

You can buy a 20ft roll for roughly $4-5 dollars. A small investment for protecting your plants' safely...

Vigoro 4" x 20' Protective Tree Wrap

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago

I'll take a pic of the plumeria with crutches when I get home from work. Actually the coffee burlaps I have are of different thickness and air flows thru them. The foil would work well for the branches that are curved. Just noticed that tree wraps are made of different materials. The Vigoro tree wrap link you sent is made of plastic. I've also seen them made of paper and the one I mentioned is burlap here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788PWR32/ref=asc_df_B0788PWR325482634/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0788PWR32&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241883109355&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10301807019778027743&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030958&hvtargid=pla-435506998053

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a lot of plumerias and would need maybe 6-8 rolls if I purchase. That's why I'd rather just use what I have on hand. Also this is temporary to protect from our Sothern Calif. summer (maybe 2 weeks where it's 90-100 degrees). My burlap sacks look like these.

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago

Here's whiplash victim #1

victim#2

• snuffles CA
    5 years ago

and #3-5. I have more in pots unwrapped