Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

My new favorite bloom! (This week, at least)

sflgplume
11 years ago

Hey everybody!

So much activity on the Plumeria Forum these days! LOL K, you're right: the word IS out. All good--who can resist the world's most spectacular flower?

Well, no doubt some of you will just not see what I'm talking about. Julie Moragne is not flashy or showy...but it has the most perfect plumeria scent that I have yet smelled (it's close, but tops even Celadine IMO). And, the thin red line that outlines the white-with-lemon-lime-haze petals is so subtle that you might not even notice it...but I think it's dazzling! It is my new favorite!

Maybe you just have to see it in person? Jandey, was that a yawn I just heard?! LOL ;-)

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Greg

Comments (21)

• nativec
    11 years ago

I like it! The delicate edging around the petals is lovely! That's a lot coming from me I tend to like flowers with a lot of bravado! LOL then again your Aimhorn convinced me that I needed to get in touch with my more delicate plumeria color side.

Nicole

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Great. Another awesome smelling plumie to add to my want list. ;)
    Beautiful flowers! Wish I could smell them. :)

-Robert

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

here is a picture that better shows the red stripes:
    {{gwi:1175361}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• pcput
    11 years ago

What a beauty !!! I love the curled over tips. They look like lips with lipstick on. Cute !!! Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Ohhh Greg!!!

Love the Julie Moragne!!! She is just gorgeous!!

Thank you Greg for the great pics!!!

I find myself falling in love with a different one each week.. This week it is Jean Moragne!!!

These Moragne trees are truly amazing...

Bill,

Love your pic as always!!! Quite beautiful.

I remember you once posted about the Moragnes and gave us an update on the names and who was named after the father Mom etc.. COuld you repost that again? I am curious about Bill, Jean, Jeannie, and the kids and grandkids of the Moragne family.. I will go and search now.. but if you have this saved, i would really like to see this post again. Thanks!!

Laura

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Briefly, Bill Moragne (manager of the Grove Farm plantation) in the fifties successfully crossed a Scott Pratt red with a large pinkish,white Daisy Wilcox (Daisy and Ralph managed a plantation) on the island of Kauai. This cross produced 283 seedlings that were numbered as they flowered over the next 20 years. Later, the best of these were given names of the women in the Moragne family. Bill was married to Jean. His daughter in law was Jeannie. His daughters were Mary M. Cooke, Sally M. Mist, and Katie M. Bartness. The granddaughters were" Edi (Cooke), Julie (Cooke), Cindy, Kimi, Cathy and Kelly. Cuttings were given to Univ. of Hawaii's Ted Chinn and to Oahu's Jim Little. Jim is a good friend of Bud Guillott. This is the best I can recall. Bill

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Lovely.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Many Thanks Bill!!!

I knew you would help!!!

You really are a kind man!!! : ) Thanks so much!!!

This helps me understand... WOOW!

take goodcare please tell Sherry that i love my

new book from the kids!!! Soooo special!!! I love it!!! : ) Pleae thank her and the kids for me!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Greg, I thought that was Daisy W. when I saw the photo. Your Julie looks just like her mother. And no, I didn't yawn in spite of my indifference to whites! Again, your pictures outdo many of those on professional sellers' sites--beautiful!

In fact, Daisy keeps tempting me with her soft pink-accented white and large size, but the one and only Moragne I own is actually another white--believe it or not!--Edi, who I got because her petals reflex so beautifully and she's reputed to make big inflos that smell like jasmine.

I can't decide between Kelly, Katie and Jeannie M. next. Ugh. Y'all stop posting beautiful photos and describing the delicious scents!

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm pleased that so many of y'all love the Julie M! Sometimes less really is more, I think.

Nicole: Aimhorn does have a similarly subtle beauty (and also a lovely scent). I hope yours will bloom for you next spring!

Bill: it was your Julie M photos from seasons past that convinced me that it was a "must-have." Thanks for sharing that one--yours really does show off JM's best attributes. Can't wait to see your upcoming bloom photos!

Laura: thanks as always! :-) I am LOVING your bloom photos, btw!! (Also a lil bit jealous hehe) Yes, I've now had two of my Moragne trees bloom, and I'm beginning to understand why they are the legendary cultivars that they are. What outstanding trees!!! Love your Jean!

I'm still waiting on Katie, Jeannie, and Mary to push their first inflos. My expectations--also my impatience--are now higher than ever!

Jen, I have coveted Edi--and Cindy--for some time now. (Instead, I just gave into my desire for Kimi, mostly due to Bill's ongoing recommendation.) I think they're both amazing. I'll look forward to seeing your Edi at some future time! I'm glad to learn that your stance on whites is softening a bit, btw ;-)

Also, Jen, very astute observation--Julie DOES look just like her mother! LOL except maybe half the size. Daisy W, is a great flower too, btw. The last time I was down at FC theirs was covered in gigantic, luscious flowers. Awesome.

Peg, hello to you and thanks! I still owe you an email--haven't forgotten! I will 'splain in my email and you'll understand...

rcantor, Robert: thanks, and welcome to the forum btw!

Greg

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Bill.
    This is off topic a bit so sorry for that. Will seedlings of the same pod be identical to each other. It sounds to me that they aren't since the 283 had different looks.

Mike.

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 22:01

Bill.
    This is off topic a bit so sorry for that. Will seedlings of the same pod be identical to each other. It sounds to me that they aren't since the 283 had different looks.

Mike.
    ================================================

I'm not a Bill nor do I play a Bill on TV but seeds from the same pod may not even have the same pollen parent. Even if they did they wouldn't be any more alike than if seven brothers married seven sisters and you compared their kids. :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Greg,
    You have got skills. The good news is we can start looking at our collections like a retirement fund.

Jen,
    Hold off on the Jeannie Cutting. I'll have one (or more) to give you in the spring. For me its a fast to bloom but doesn't seem to make it past about July before the show is over. I might have to move it hence to need to cut to fit through a balcony door.

Bill - thanks for the history behind it. You read all these names in books and articles and its nice to associate them together and the lineage. Please dont stop sharing your knowledge.

• joanr
    11 years ago

Greg,

That is a beutiful bloom. I don't have this one yet. Noticed I said "yet". It is definitely on my list of wants.

Jen, remember the big Katie Moragne I bought at the Clear Lake sale - you can have a cutting off of it. Are you coming to the PSA sale in July. If so, I can give it to you then unless you want to wait till next Spring.

Joan

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow the flowers are so delicate and beautiful! I might have to add this to my want list!

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks K, Joan, no-clue, I appreciate the kind words. K, I think you're right--and you've just given us another justification that we can use the next time we spend money on a tree that isn't in our budget or (in my case) have zero room for.

I spent a lot of time around my trees this weekend, outside, enjoying the glorious weather we've been having. Sun all day--and the inflos are developing nicely, while my anticipation builds. Lilikoi's inflo is as tall as the rest of the plant (almost). This tree, to me, has a "far-East" look to it:

I cannot wait to see this tree bloom.

As my collection has grown and I've been lucky enough to have a number of inflos now, my love for the beauty of these trees just keeps growing. I realize now that each inflo is unique, and always evolving. What makes an inflo so incredible, to me, is that it's like an architecture--each inflo is a 3-D space that light filters through. At sunset the inflos light up like candelabras, and it is stunning.

Julie Moragne

Teresa W

white noID

Cal Sunset in foreground, Kona Candy in background

Celadine

A weekend well-spent!

Greg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

It's just incredible the inflos and gorgeous blooms you get Greg, it's obvious you put a lot of love into those plants, it shows!!! Thanks so much for sharing your pics with us, we can't get enough!!!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Greg, How many varieties do you have? They are all sooooo beautiful. We love seeing the pics. Peg

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, y'all!

Emily, I see you've got blooms...haven't looked yet, but, I will. Congrats! Enjoy!

Peg, I have about 60 or so trees...it's ridiculous LOL I have many inflos that are pushin' hard, so there will be more bloom pics in the weeks ahead. I just sent you an email, btw.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ah, Greg, what a pleasure to see your photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Can't wait for Lilikoi!

My lone Moragne is nowhere near blooming, but I can say that Edi has the biggest leaves of all my plants--huge! Went ahead and bid on Kelly, and after some back and forth, finally won it. Geez, it is hard to win at 1-stop!

K and Joan, you guys are awesome! I will wait on Jeannie and Katie, thanks to your kind offers. I'll look around and see if I have anything that might be nice additions for you, tho with your collections, that's going to be hard to find!

Joan, I definitely can't make the July sale--I'm feeling guilty about Kelly already--so it can wait until spring. Have a great time there, if you get a chance to shop with those nutty crowds, and let us know what you find!

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

reantor- From my experience, whites produce mostly whites and yellows too. However, any plant with mixed genes like Moragnes and most reds or pinks produce about half the plants similar to the parent but with a variety of shapes and sizes. About 10% may be completely different (ie. a red from a white parent.) The rest can be a variety of mixes often not as good as the parent. Plumerias are like humans in that getting a child that looks exactly like the parent is not easy. Too many genes.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz