Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

Veracruz Rose!

sflgplume
11 years ago

I am not enough of a plumie veteran yet to be able to contribute to No-Clue's "Top 10 Plumeria" post--I look forward to that day--but I did notice that Veracruz Rose was present on many of those posted lists...

My VCR is blooming now, and I can see why! Holy cow! What a sight (and smell) to behold.

It's also showing an interesting color break:

Definitely a "top-10" performance!

Greg

Comments (12)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Very pretty Greg. I am hopefull I just planted Vera Cruz seeds yesterday. I know they wont be true, but hoping for some pretty ones.

Jackie

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Stunning! I can't wait for mine to arrive! I can almost smell the wonderful fragrance from here. Thank for sharing. :)

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hey Greg!
    It's hard to resist the smell of the VCR, you'll always remember the fragrance!
    Are you keeping the iguanas out of the plumerias these days?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stuart

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Lovely. I think it is stunning how the individual stem to each flower is so long, that is very pretty. My VCR is now well rooted thank you for making me drool over our future.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi Greg, I think I now need a VCR fix. I guess I'll have to go over to Laura's and smell hers. I can almost smell it from your pics. Love it !!! Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Greg,

I love my VCR too! It was a big surprise to me at the keeping quality and how long they continue to bloom. My tree is still going strong and it is so fragrant..

Peg.. You will have to come by a get another fix.. LOL... it is intoxicating to smell these heavenly beauties...

I think you need one Peg... LOL...

Love your pics Greg.. as always!!!

I also was wondering about the Iggy issue? Any news?

My trees have been having some slug issues.. i do have a solution... but i dont have a pic with me yet.. i will post that when i get home.. i have to do a search at night with the flashlight to check for these critters.. YUCK!!

Take care,

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Beautiful as always, Greg! Is VCR new for you? Did you buy it with inflo or did it just grow one on its own? Is it in partial sunlight under those palms?

I did try to buy one but someone outbid me. :( I was finally worn down by all the raves about the scent and my VCR seedlings look like they're still a couple years from blooming.

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning, all,

Thanks for the compliments. So fun to share with all of you.

The iguanas are still a problem. I don't see them as often, probably because my terrorizing them over the past months has taught them that they're not welcome. Unfortunately, though, it only takes them a minute or two for them to move in and pick a few trees clean, and once they do that, it takes several weeks for the tree to begin leafing out again. A couple of my trees have not had the chance to grow at all this season. It's beyond sad.

Just the other day, I finally got my hands on some "iguana control." I'm looking forward to using it.

At least there have been no more broken branches. My VCR, in fact, had 3 tips until the iguanas broke two of them off. I'm rooting the two broken branches, and, Peg, one of them has your name on it ;-)

Laura: slugs?! Yuck!!! Thanks to Debby, it's done nothing but rain for the last week, and so I've been finding snails all over my trees...makes me *shudder* every time!

Greg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Greg, I'm sorry to hear the nasties are still plaguing you! And a tropical storm on top of that! And snails! Does it ever end? Well, at least the rain keeps the reptiles away for a while.

Makes my appreciation for your pictures even greater!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh wow and I thought my problem with something eating my leaves was bad. I have no idea what is eating holes in some of my leaves. I am think snails as well.

The smallest plants thus lower to the ground also suffer from the bunnies eating their leaves as well. We tried to block the entry into our yard but the bunnies are very persistent! Must like the way my plumies leaves taste. :(

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen,

I think I was writing my last post when you posted yours--wasn't ignoring one of my favorite fellow addicts ;-)

In answer to your questions, I bought VCR a year ago as a 3-tip. As soon as the iguanas broke the two lower branches off, the lone tip left behind promptly popped this inflo. (Not sayin' I want more breakage, just in case the Universe is eavesdropping LOL)

In answer to your second question: VCR, Waimea, Haleakala, my white noID, and KSunrise are all still on the dock, which has western exposure over the water, so they get on-and-off sun all morning through about 1:30 (right now), then full-on afternoon sun 'til sunset.

You're so sweet re my pics! :-) I will admit that I have fought hard against those $#%* lizards to keep my trees and inflos safe. It would be paradise without them...but alas, as Marley-mon said, Dere is "So Much Trouble in de World"...LOL could be worse, I suppose!

No-Clue: if it's not one pest, it's another! At least bunnies are cute! Iguanas are ugly as SIN!

G

• nativec
    11 years ago

One word GORGEOUS! I kept finding myself inhaling deeply while looking at the pictures...guess I was hoping to smell them. And I'm also telling myself, "no you will NOT" go and buy a VCR".... Honestly, Greg you are such a bad influence! LOL