Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Florida Colors Nursery - my two cents

Aside from their plants being grafted I wanted to say I found it odd that their site doesn't calculate the shipping and handling when you place your order with your credit card (so you don't know how much you're being charged).

I received an email confirmation for the cost of the plant (no S&H included) and that's it.

I also never received any communication on when my Plumeria was shipped.

My partner just called saying I had received yet another Plumeria in the mail (second one today...hee hee).

I had actually just emailed Florida Colors before he called and asked if they could cancel my order since I found another fragrant white Plumeria on eBay and I didn't know when my Florida Colors order would arrive.

Now I'm not complaining about how speedy it was shipped (I received it two days later).

I am complaining that it would be nice to know the ultimate cost of the plant before I place my order and not afterwards (I had my partner read to me what was charged to my card so I could record it).

It would also be nice to have received an email stating my plant was shipped (and a tracking number is always nice!).

For these reasons and the fact that their plants are grafted I probably wouldn't buy from them again unless it was a variety that I couldn't find elsewhere.

-Robert

Comments (31)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I have yet to order from them but I do know they are a sort of "mom and pop" shop. Everyone here who deals with them says Carol is a wonderful person. I also prefer to know what my total is prior to hitting complete. I also did notice that it seems they are changing their site around so maybe the email portion is out of whack, who knows just my thought.

mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike.
    At least they shipped the plant with a plastic bag around the soil ball and not bare root.
    Who knows...maybe when I get home and it turns out to be a large healthy plant I might change my mind about them. ;)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Robert - I do know what you mean about wanting a total to include shipping, and I will agree it would be nice to receive an email stating the plant has been shipped.

But, I will also say that I have been very very satisfied with FC and plan to continue doing business with them. Now that I have an idea what shipping is going to cost, I don't have a problem with guesstimating a little. :)

I just know your new plant is going to be everything you're hoping it will be!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, they don't give you a shipping total because they charge whatever the actual cost is, rather than an estimate. At least that was my experience. I looked at the charge of $9.17, or whatever it was on their invoice, and that was exactly what the post office stamped on the box. Then they charge your card that exact amount plus the plant cost.

A little old-fashioned in today's instant-message world, but I know they are very honest that way. I've been quite overcharged for shipping by other places so I found their approach refreshing.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences (and views) with me!
    My plant looks pretty good. They had removed all of the leaves except for two (which is what I should probably do with my bare root eBay purchase!) and the root ball looked intact and healthy. I thought the metal tag with the name inscribed on it was a nice touch.
    I'm still a little worried about it being grafted but we'll see how it goes down the line. ;)
    I agree being honest with their shipping is a nice touch but budgeting would be easier with an exact price and knowing that a plant is on its way is always nice. :)

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

I just wanted to say that i have had great experiences with Luc and Carol. They truly will answer any questions that you have and take their time when you have any questions... I really like it when i feel like i am not being rushed while on the phone. Jon at JJ's is the same way.. What a great guy!!!

My grafted purchases from Florida Colors have all been great experiences . I personally don't mine grafts..especially if i know it is a difficult culitvar. I sent her two of my Makaha Sunn and they both took... one did finally decide to have problems.. My fault. It was one graft that decided not to take after a time. Of the many trees that i do have. I probably have 10 percent that are grafted.

You really don't have to remove the leaves from the Ebay purchase. My trees from Fuzzy do really well and there is no reason to remove the leaves. I would suggest leaving the leaves...

I hope this helps with some of the questions on grafting. Some like it others are totally against them. Everyone has their own opinion. I personally have had great experiences with them!!!

Jen is right about the shipping... they are honest people...

Hope this helps...

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,

Actually it helps a lot! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with a newbie. :)
    I suppose I should stop expecting everything up front and realize there are other ways to life.

Thanks again,
    Robert

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,
    I agree with Laura 100% Florida Colors is the only mail order plumeria nursery that I know of that only charges you what the actual shipping costs is. I have ordered from multiple nurseries and in one case, I paid over $60.00 for shipping and the package took a week and a half to get to me. The worst part, one of the plumeria I ordered I could have recieved a multi tip of but I chose the blooming one tip. Because it took so long to arrive, the inflo and flowers were all dead!

Trust me when I say that Carol is a very nice and fair person! I am sure that there are people who have had at least one bad experience with them, but it can happen!

Personally, I only ordered from them 1 time. I bought to grafted 'Leela' plumeria and a 'Katie' Moragne and both arrived in excellent condition. In fact, the 1 'Leela' was for my good friend Laura(yep the same one who just responded to your post), and her's is going to bloom!

I highly recommend them, and I sincerely hope that you give them another chance!

Andrew

Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys are not helping with my current Plumeria obsession! :)

I confess I've been eying their 'Engel' or their P. stenopetala since I'm a scent nut. Laugh.

No doubt I'll probably give them another go.
    I can live with the not knowing the price until you receive your plants part but I'm still sticking to my guns that it would be nice to receive an email when they ship your plants.

-Robert

11 years ago

RObert,

When you call and speak to Carol, tell her what you want her to do, im sure she will be very accommidating to your wishes... I don't see that you are asking to much!!

Try and see what happens, you might be helping her with knowing that others may feel the same way... Just a thought!!! : )

It's all good...

Take care,

Laura

• kemistry
    11 years ago

I love "mom and pop" type of business so i'll save their website ;) And of course while surfing the site I see "a few" whites that i'd like to collect. Lol.

Hanging Windmill, St Germain and Pink Pansy sound great!:)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I have ordered several times from FC and have always been happy with the healthy plants. I do ask Carol to email me totals and tracking numbers. They are a mom & pop shop that stays pretty busy. I personnaly love the small town service to details. I placed a order for Hurricane on Tuesday and received it yesterday Thursday.
    I love FC. Be patient and work with them. I promise you'll be happy with their quality. le in TX

Original Author
    11 years ago

I like everyone's ideas about asking for an email notification for when the plants are shipped and/or a tracking number!
    It was my first time so I didn't know what to expect.
    I just got the initial email for my order.
    Now I know what to ask for! ;)

And yes, Laura, it is all good. Laugh.
    Now I have a Dwarf Deciduous White that is supposed to have an awesome strong scent of citrus. Woo hoo! :)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Yeah, I don't think it's too much to ask for an email with the tracking number, although I have seen where some places charge extra for that. Not everyone can be home waiting for their packages to arrive and we don't want them sitting on the porch in the searing sun. Funny, cuz it's 10AM in North Carolina and it's only 62 degrees outside! LOL

I'm currently waiting for my grafted Charlotte Ebert to come. I ordered Monday and thought it would be here yesterday, but at least I'm home from work today! My mailman should be around in the next couple of hours. :)

Glad to hear you got a nice healthy plant, Robert!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope you get your Charlotte Ebert today! It's one of the ones I've written down as a possible maybe since it's supposed to have a nice perfume scent. :)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Yeah, and did you see the pic on the PSA thread? It's going to be awesome! And that Raspberry Sundae. I can't get that one off my mind!

My list of wants is growing. My husband told me that I'm old enough that my wants won't hurt me. I said that my wants won't hurt him, either. LOL

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

The mailman came and went... no Charlotte! All of a sudden I feel really down. Now I'm going to have to ride to town and pass the day away. Better than sitting here wondering if maybe they Fed Exed this time. Then waiting for a truck that will never come. LOL

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

It's like the Powers-That-Be is messing with my mind. Fed Ex truck just went past, didn't stop. UPS, maybe? :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think you should call FC right now. Something seems wrong since I got my order in 2 days as did Printmaster.

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Well, I'm not saying that I'm exactly going to change my tune, but I did contact Carol and they are out of Charlotte Ebert and it will be 3 weeks before she has any that are ready to ship. She meant to contact me but hadn't. That would have been nice, even though I understand that a business such as theirs can keep them very busy. It's just a bit disappointing having expected a package the last couple of days only to find out one isn't coming.

Maybe I will choose something else and get the CE later. I'm going to poke around their site for a little while.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

I had to chime in on FC as well. I've ordered from them for 3 years. I personally don't like grafted plants but I cave in some instances. Sometimes they offer both cuttings and grafted of many of their varieties. I have never had a problem, all my plants have rooted and/ or flourished. I know it feels a bit disconcerting not to receive shipping confirmation or shipping cost. I have found their shipping is the most honest and reasonable. They have great varieties and many times are much lower than the other sellers many of us use.

I hope you have a great experience with them. I would recommend them to anyone!

Take care,

Nicole

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input, Nicole.
    Glad to hear you've not had any problems with your grafted plants.
    I'm sure when my DDW blooms all will be forgotten. Laugh.

-Robert

• nativec
    11 years ago

Yes the blooms tend to distract a bit....LOL. Happy growing :)

• chubite
    11 years ago

I love FC because their shipping is cheaper than others.
    I've got 3 plumerias from them and I asked the ones with inflos: stenopetala, Engel and Pink Pansy.
    They send me ALL with inflos except pink pansy inflos dried up.
    So yea I recommended them..and for the shipping cost.

PS: Hi Laura and Kem:)my 1st post in plumie forum.hehehe

11 years ago

Hi Chubite!!!

SOooooooooooooo glad to see you posting!!! Nice to hear that your dealings with Luc and Carol were positive ones..

Nice to see you here!! : ) Welcome!!!

Moonie... so sorry to hear about your CE.. i know how dissapointed you must be. I am the same way when i am expecting a package. I can listen and hear the sound of the trucks.. Fed Ex as well as UPS... I try and beat the DH home so he won't see the "exchange" But, just the other day... he was holding a package in his hand.. he said.. "i thought you said that you were not buying anymore.." Argg.... should have been watching while in the front yard. LOL..

Hope you get your CE soon!!!

Take care all!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Oh, no, Moonie! I'm sorry you have to wait longer, and here I am posting CE pics to tease you! It'll be so worth it, and you get to have that sweet anticipation a few weeks longer. Right?

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

I know that feeling Moonie...
    That pit in your stomach as you hear the rumble of a diesel engine... you mute the TV and hold your breath... UPS drives right by. Another rumble of a large engine... wake the dog up because he's snoring, hold your breath... run to the screen door... alas, it's only Sweetheart starting up the tractor to drag the arena... another rumble... Fed Ex drives by... AHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO!
    Maybe tomorrow.......... AHHHH NOOOO! He lost your order!!!!

Ok, that was my experience... obviously I'm still emotional about it ;)

Rachel

• pcput
    11 years ago

My story is even worse. You order !!! You wait !!! You ask for and get a tracking number !!! Yea it's on it's way !!! You watch it come !!! It's out for delivery !!! There's the mailman !!! What no box on the step??? He'll come back with the truck and the box. WHAT DELIVERED !!! Not to my house !!! Where is it??? Oh NO it's been delivered to the wrong address !!! Will they bring it to me or give it back to the mailman? No sign of the box ! Don't they know how important this box is? Call the post office, they can't do anything it's been delivered. They don't care or even believe they made a mistake. Call the shipper and hope they believe you cause you can't prove it wasn't delivered here. Bummer! This is a true story. :( Peg

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

That's terrible Peg! What happened? Did you end up getting it?

Rachel

• pcput
    11 years ago

Rachel, the rest of the story. No I did not get the box. It was then too cold to ship more. I did get a refund though, and filed a complaint with the post office. I now meet the mailman at the door if it says it's out for delivery. The worse part it was a Christmas gift. Oh well, just another day in an addict's life. Peg

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

:(. That's such a bummer Peg.
    I've had many packages stolen, so now I have all postal carriers drop packages on my front porch (I have a long driveway, and it's all to easy for unscrupulous teenagers to snatch a box next to my mail box). Thankfully none of them have been so precious. My favorite stolen package was a box of lids to large plastic jars I use for my horses' daily grain.
    At first I was angry... but than it was hilarious imaging a couple of kids opening their prize to... useless plastic lids! Ha Ha!!!

Rachel

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer