Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

A very happy summer!

jandey1
10 years ago

I admit I was very pouty last summer about having no blooms except from good ol' Lemon Drop. Thank goodness for all you great growers--and photographers--who take the time to post pics for us all to enjoy! You all are wonderful, so let me give you a bit of Monday eye-candy.

Here is one that Nancy Willis talked me into. Goodness, she is a beautiful and charming lady who could sell ice to Eskimos! I'm so happy she talked me into this beauty. It's done very well in our climate, with big ol' blooms! CA or Bud's Sally:

And I do not have small hands! She even smells a bit like roses earlier in the day, then spicier in the evening.

She's firing on both big tips:

And here is another wonderful pink, Maverick, firing on both tips:

I've discovered Dazzler is too dazzled by our hot Texas sun, so I've had to move her to afternoon shade. The flower takes a full day to go from this:

to this:

She fades very fast in full afternoon sun:

I think I'll put her in-ground next summer and see if that helps.

Here is the wonderful-smelling NOID red from my neighbor:

And this one I've been waiting on excitedly:

Can you guess what it is?

Turned away from the camera:

A very distinctive look to the inflo and bloom, right?

She's still a little shy this morning, lol. Emily, you just missed this one:

Heirloom!

And just because she's so spectacular:

Desert Sunrise!

And I may be majoring in plumeria, but I'm minoring in desert roses:

I thought I was failing at my minor, but I've pulled through this semester, lol. Santa Claus:

Gratuitous photo of Big Yellow Beast, blooming on five tips now:

That's it everyone. Happy Monday!
Jen

Comments (21)

• Kimo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jen,
    Gorgeous blooms!! Loving al the plumie realness...
    Thanks for the show

Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Jen,

Absolutely stunning!! Everything is gorgeous! But my two favorite are Desert Sunrise and Heirloom. Wow!!

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Way to go Jen!!! They all look so good and I'm glad you're getting some major inflo action this year!

I can't believe I was SO close to seeing Heirloom in person, DANGIT!!! You managed to capture really nice coloring in your photo, she looks beautiful.

And Desert Sunrise, well, what else can I say besides HUBBA HUBBA! Not regretting that purchase and I actually think it was put in motion right after you got yours...coincidence??????

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Jen those are all so wonderful!! I'm in awe of everyone of them. My desert sunrise is looking the best of all mine.

Has delightful put out some roots yet?

Mike

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

James, thank you! Very high compliments coming from you! We sweat through blistering summers, but the heat and humidity really make the plumeria colors pop.

Lynn, your two favorites are also two of mine, both so unique. Who am I kidding? I love any that bloom for me!!

Emily, we totally have the same taste in flowers! I can't believe Heirloom opened today, though it's going very slowly and still not completely open. Next time you come, I'll have a talk with her so she knows what to do, heehee. I hope that was the first of many visits we have!

I took your advice and picked up some Captain Jack's Deadbug with spinosad. Just sprayed this evening so I hope it takes care of my poor leaves.

Mike, Desert Sunrise is a must-have, right? Emily and I both looked yesterday at the clear container Delightful is in, and yep, saw a fat white root! She's amazing because she never wrinkled in the slightest while rooting and the inflo is still growing steadily. Delightful indeed!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

J,
    great job as usual. While you were pouty last year your plants were getting everything they needed for this year's show.

That Sally is great. I got one from Emerson last July. Nancy is a nice lady. Her and Barbara R. have been friends for many years.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Very nice Jen.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Outrageous Jandey....roxanne

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

Beautiful flowers! You're sure right about the heat, but the colors make it all worthwhile.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Jen!!!

beautiful as always..

This is your year like K mentioned, all of that TLC from last year has paid off...

Gorgeous!!!

Take care,

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Jen.I am so happy for you. I have a feeling that one will give you years and years of joy. DS is making a good argument for one of my favorites for sure.

Keep those pics coming.

Hi laura!

Mike

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Amazing flowers Jen! They all look so good!

Mark

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Wow! Your cup runneth over this year!
    Very happy for you...course I want to creep into your yard and sniff 'em all! Laugh.

-Robert

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Jen,

Those are awesome blooms! Desert Sunrise is so striking, and Heirloom too! Crossing my fingers for my Heirloom to bloom. ;)

Kenny

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Very nice, Jen.
    I only have CA Sunset blooming right now, but two DR's are blooming. Where did you get the Santa Clause DR?
    Lonnie

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much! I try to take lots of good pics for you guys.

Robert, you are welcome to sniff the flowers whenever you're in town! Hope your inflos are coming along this year.

Kenny, Heirloom seems like she'll be a good bloomer. She's in a less-than-ideal area of the yard but put out a decent size inflo. Barbara did say that she'll drop blooms if not given enough water, so keep your eye on her.

Lonnie, I got the Santa Claus a couple of winters ago from an ebay seller called exotic_cactus_collection. They had beautiful big DRs for a good price, really unusual ones, but I've checked the past year and they sell nothing but seeds and little seedlings now.

You might try Anyamanee (anyamanee_p) on ebay. She's a very good Thai source for DRs and plumies. The drawback is the high shipping cost but her plants are very healthy. Laura in VB also has a good DR source, in Taiwan I think.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Love them all, but Desert Sunrise and Cal Sally are -- well, WOW!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Jen,

Thanks for the warning. Is your Heirloom very thinly branched? Barbara told me it may bloom for me this season with proper care...but both tips are thin. Hope she's right about it blooming.

One of the new leaves just opened on mine and it's black! Kinda interesting to look at :)

Kenny

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Jandey! I'm looking up who sells Desert Sunrise as soon as I send this off! My ET Lemon Drop has a little inflo, so Im very excited about that! Love all of your plumies.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kenny, Heirloom does have thin branches but I think her foliage is beautiful. The new leaves can be very dark maroon, which is pretty cool with a peach colored flower.

That bloom I photographed has actually turned beige now and the maroon stripes on the backs of the buds are lightening, too, in this triple-digit weather.

George, when you go to JJ's open house next month get the biggest Desert Sunrise you can afford--it'll be worth every penny!

• pcput
    10 years ago

"WOW" Jen! They are all looking so good. Gives all us "pouty" ones some hope. It's still early so I'm hopeful. I do have a couple inflos but of course I'd like more :( So happy yours are rewarding you for all your hard work last year.
    Peg

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery