Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

My experience w/ Upland Nursery

No-Clue
11 years ago

has not been a good one. :( Perhaps after working w/ JJ's Jon, FC's Carol and Fuzzy in Hawaii, I have certain expectations that are not being met.

Every time I spoke to Marlee or Ed at Upland... I was made to feel like I'm bothering them. They were short, rude, and accusatory. I have a few named varieties that I'm looking for but they refused to tell me if they have them... they said I must go in to see for myself. Why would I drive over an hour each way if I don't know whether or not they have what I want? They act like they are doing me a favor or something.

Contrasting that to my experience at FC's where after answering all my questions Carol even invited me to stop by for a visit if I'm ever around South of Miami. Fuzzy has been sweet as well... calling me every other week to update me with some of the plants I am looking for. But no one compares to JJ's Jon. That guy spent numerous hours talking/showing me his plants. He never rushes me, never made me feel like I'm bothering him, never rude, and always so helpful! Not to mention having awesome plants. I will always be his loyal customer.

With that said, I'm taking my business else where. Upland can keep all their plumerias with their uppity attitude!

Comments (22)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I bought 2 cuttings from them an I didn't have a bit of trouble. I even called them about my order and spoke to a nice asian man -- although I had a bit of trouble understanding him at times due to his accent, my experience with them was very pleseant an I would buy from them again.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also bought 4 cuttings and the Charlotte Ebert from them at the SC Flower show which are all fine. But the few times I called them to check on the plants I am looking for they were very very rude to me. I too had a hard time understanding him as well... but regardless... if you can't take a minute to answer a few questions then you you shouldn't be in business. At their price point they should provide a little service!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Darn those bad experiences! But don't lose heart. You may be willing to give them another chance later in the future.

I'm also having my own issue with another well respected company, one I'm not going to name because I don't want to put a black mark on someones reputation. The newbies to follow may have good experiences.

It's like this... I'm the 1 in 100 that had an issue. There must be a reason for it. I'll just chill and get over it, and if they don't come through I am free to go elsewheres. :)

So glad you had such a great time at JJ's!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

No-clue,

Sorry you had a bad experience -- I've never dealt with them on the phone, only in person. Their nursery is in a tiny space, and many of the plumeria are big (3-5 feet tall on average) and are stacked 5 pots deep in some places, so finding things can be difficult. I'm not making excuses for them, since they should know what they do or do not have (and they shouldn't be rude!), but it seems like the kind of place where you'd have an easier time if you were there in person. When I've come in with a list, they usually help with the first 3 or so, and then start helping other customers, so I do a lot of exploring -- pulling plants out, climbing around others, etc. (I posted some pictures on this forum last summer from my first visit there- you can kind of see what I mean)

What plumes are you looking for? I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see them anywhere locally.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona,

I too didn't want to post about it either... but I feel like I have been patient enough and given them plenty of opportunities to be nice, but the last phone call today left a bad taste in my mouth.

I can understand catching them at a bad time, but rude every single time I called? No excuse in my book. It's ok... someone just posted rooted cuttings from BBB which has a lot of what I'm looking for. So I lost one source and gained another. No big deal.

Daogirl,

I'm looking for the all elusive ET Lemon Drop. Let me know if you ran across one. Thanks!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey NC,

Sorry you had issue with Upland Nursery and Malee. Speaking for myself and buying plumies since the late 70's I've meet all kinds of sellers, some have great customer service personalities aka slopping sugar/sharing the aloha, while others are controlling and crusty (Waving at Marilynn of Marilynn's Garden). I know with Malee she can be very sweet or a bit more work to deal with. Malee actually gave Sonia aka Lola's mom and I a tour of her private HUGE plumie forest that is not open to the public. Her private collection is behind a gated section on her lot and is so large you can not go by foot, golf cart only. Basically what I am saying is that every seller has their good and bad days, or could just be chemistry.

Basically I rate the plumie sellers I buy from based on who has the healthiest, and the best most beautiful specimens, how ethical they are (dealing with issues like disease or returns), lastly their personalities as my plants hopefully will be forever but my relationship with the seller might be only as good as their inventory of hard to get plumies or exclusives they may carry at the time. So sometimes if you want something badly enough you just have to decide to either wait till you can find what you want or you have to deal with the seller. I know people who personally love and have a great relationship with JL, Marilynn, Andy from Aloha Tropicals and his Thai plumie nursery Rowland, Allen Bunch, etc., but I do not necessarily want to interact with them that much.

As for John from JJ's (I do know that personally I really like and get along with Johns wife Christina but have heard some say they will not work with her) and Fuzzy yes they are very nice and personable along with Luc and Carol (waving at Carol), Doug Jones, Irene Jones, Jennifer from MPG, etc..
    So I would not take anything personally with any of the sellers as long as they have something to offer you. I know what I am saying dosnt make it any better or right but maybe it will make it easier to forget about it.

Cheers and hope you find the plants your looking for...
    Happy Plumie season all :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

No-Clue - I saw that! 9 inch rootball! I have yet to receive a rootball anywhere near that size with any online order.

The last few days I have been eyeing BBB's Mermaid's Gem. It's lovely!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freak, thanks for that. What you said actually makes perfect sense!! I get it. I agree whole heartedly... that if they offer what I can't find else where then I will eat that humble pie. And I was ready to pull the trigger when Ed implied I was lying. He basically said they pulled the ET Lemond Drop for me last week and I didn't show. So that justifies them being rude to me.

I didn't make a commitment to come by. A. Because I didn't know when they would bring the plant from their growing site to the store (remember they wouldn't give me a straight answer!). B. I would not have made a commitment without finding a ride first for I am crippled and cannot drive that far C. Last but not least I was not even in town last when he said I called them and they pulled the plant for me. I was in SF b/c my aunt had a stroke and passed away.

I don't like people calling me a liar, and cutting me off when I'm trying to speak. The biggest slap in the face was when I asked him where is that plant now he said they sold it. So if you sold it why guilt trip me?? I don't need that plant enough to get mistreated that way. No plumie is worth someone attacking my integrity.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona, can you believe 9 inches? That's amazing!! I'm happily ordering some now. I will need to get a few more out of the norm just to cheer myself up! Heck it's going to take that JL Metallica to do the job. LOL

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

As James said, those of us who have been buying since the last century, have seen the good the bad and the ugly of many of the sellers. Addicts can be quite annoying so I can understand how they get exasperated by us. Many buyers go to the seller and unleash as many questions as this forum. Also many of the sellers have been ripped off or had valuable plants stolen which can bring out the jade. I think over time it gets worse for many of them. No clue are you in southern California?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I am in So Ca. Tdog. So I should blame you all for wearing all the sellers down? LOL.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey Bill,
    GLAD to see you on the GW today!!! Hope your feeling well?
    :)

No C,
    I dont mean to be too curious but where abouts in So Cal do you live? I.E, Valley W. LA, SO Bay, OC?? Maybe I can give you a ride to JJs or Malees if you want to go by?
    As for Ed I think the ESL thing gets in the way of him communicating where he misunderstands, not that I want to make excuses for him. I requested a seedling/exclusive Malee had, either a rooted plant or cutting and Malee and Ed stated they would put my name and number in their book of customer requests after showing me the flower, well that was in 2007 and I am still waiting for the call "ring ring, ring ring" LOL. Ed and Malee usually have stock in their growing area which is the fenced off Plumie forest in the back of Upland Nursery so its actually right there, again the issue is that its all the way in the back and it is a huge area so it is a bit of a chore for Malee to go in with her Golf Cart and haul out plants. I think Ed misunderstood what you were saying when you were asking him about the plumie. Like Bill was stating I think in Uplands case they get worn down by Plumie people sometimes, to tell you the truth I've spent more money at Malees on Exotic fruits and plants then on Plumies so i think she categorizes me as a general buyer and responds differently because of it.

Well if you can find what you want outside of Upland I would. Like you stated earlier most of Uplands Plumies are grafted which I do not really care for. The things you listed on your 2012 list are accessible by other people and sellers.

Cheer NC :)

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

I emailed them and they told me they don't ship but they weren't rude. BTW, please see my clarification of those 9" root balls. It was 9" from end to end with the roots spread in a 3 gal pot. Each root was about 4" long. But there were dozens of roots. So far I've only gotten a stub of a root or 2 on rooted cuttings. I don't want grafted plants but I understand why people do it.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rcantor that sounds really good. I'm going to see if I can get a few things to go w/ my JL Metallica first. Then I will order the rest from BBB. So thanks for sharing that.

Freak, I'm in OC... so thanks for the offer! I'm very moved! How sweet of you, sheesh! Can you imagine two Plumies addicts going together? How scary!!

But I will have to pass on Upland since I too do not care for the grafted plants myself. As for JJ's, I have family nearby so we go there at least once a month which is enough for me to do serious damage! LOL

Again thank you for the offer. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Freak - I wouldn't mind a ride to JJ's or Malee's. Pleeease? :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mona where are you? And you Freak? Are we all very close?? That would be so fun to go together! We would probably turn JJ's upside down! LOL...

Are you guys going to JJ's Open House this year? I think it's the first Sat in July. Maybe I will get to meet you guys!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I'm in North Carolina. Do you think that's too far to get a lift?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL... no just hop on a plane and Freak and I will pick you up! :)

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Set a date and let's all go. Hope we don't fight over the plants. Party @ JJ's!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No need to fight JJ's got plenty for all of us! But if you're talking about Vera Cruz Rose then I might have to hit you with a stick!

• Lucila Locanas
    8 years ago

I had a bad experience with Upland nursery also. I purchased several cuttings last week Tuesday Oct 27, 2015 and paid $300. Total For my purchase . Anyway, I was told by the lady that I should wait 2 or 3 days then I can plant the cuttings directly on the soil. Just dip in water and to the rooting hormone . After 3 days? I started preparing my plants and started bag rooting them. I used th coir and perlite mixture as I see in the file of plumeria growers. . Last Tuesday , I checked my plumerias and I notice one of the cuttings developed a waistline , wrinkled and soft in the middle. I mailed the nursery and I have asked if I could get a replacement. I did not get any answer and up to this day? Nobody has sent me any response. The following day, after my eye appt, I called called the nursery and an Asian guy answered the phone. I told him the problem and and I would like to get a replacement because it has even been a week when I put the cuttings in the coir perlite mix and the cutting is ready wrinkled. ( that would be 6 days ) the moment I said that, he told me my mistake and what I did was wrong. When I was trying to explain why I did it , he said that's that what they do and it was wrong. I could not even interfere and he said , do you want to listen to what I am saying or not.... This makes me angry because it like their way is the only way. I told him that with the amount I paid , the least they can do is give me a replacement. He said I was not a him reasonable person.

That Asian guy was so rude and to think that they are in the business working with people, he should know how to talk with his customer. I listened to him and afterwards , I told him I am not going back to your nursery anymore.

later that night, one of the plumeria grower member mentioned something about a Maui nursery who gave him a replacement and an extra cutting because his did not work or did not root as was expected. I told myself , if a nursery in Maui can do that , pay for the shipping and handling , replace and give an extra cutting , why not Upland nursery,

obviously it did not work and they lost a coming back customer.

• HU-552298691
    3 years ago

My experience w Upland. I sent the a photo of my healthy adeniums and plumerias that I have been growing for 2 months

e mail exchanges:

Thanks for deleting my account. I am an experienced grower of all kinds of seeds including adenium and plumeria seeds . Just check your seed stock and throw away the brittle seedS to avoid unhappy customers. Just a picture of what I have grown in August and September. I am a member of our local. adenium and plumeria group

Hi Francis,

1. We already delete your account as you wish.
    2. All sale is final and we do not have any complaints from our customers.
    3. We provides the best instruction of how to grow plumeria seeds for
    you and you choose not to follow the instruction. Therefore, there is
    nothing else further that we can continuous.

> Yes I got 40 seeds instead of 20. Only 4 looked ok. I just plants
    > them. I had to throw away the 36 seeds. Ok. No big deal. Please
    > delete my account and unsubscribe Me ...
    >

> On Sunday, October 18,
    > 2020, info@uplandnursery.com <info@uplandnursery.com> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Francis,
    >
    > We already gave you extra plumeria seeds when you first ordered from
    > us. Those seeds are from this year picked. There is nothing else
    > that we can do it for you. Sorry.
    >
    > Upland Nursery
    > Quoting francisjq@aol.com: