Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Everyone's plumerias are blooming except mine?

No-Clue
10 years ago

I'm wondering if my going the organic route is slowing down my plumerias' growth? I'm out there checking at least 10x a day and it's excruciating watching them barely grow! It's almost mid June and only 11 plants are pushing inflos. The slow progress is so painful to watch.

Hilo Beauty, Rhonda, Wildfire and a few others are still deciding if they want to wake up. Come on already!!

If this keeps up I'm going to have to go buy some blooming plumerias! :(

Comments (23)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Lynn, could it be Plumerias are much slower to start in your location due to the marine conditions typical to SoCal this time of year?

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm further inland, and mine are still in the just waking up to mostly waking up stage. I bought new plants to get some blooms! :)

I think the cool, cloudy mornings have slowed things down a bit (even here!). Many of my plants are recovering from serious pruning/cold-damage, so I'm just happy they are alive and starting to recover. One of those guys is pushing an inflo, too, which gives me hope. A couple aren't even awake yet - I repotted one into the gritty mix to hopefully give it a boost. I also have a couple bigger ones that I had to cut almost to the ground - I'm still waiting for any signs of life at all!

• elucas101
    10 years ago

My plants have been very slow to wake up due to the extended cold we had. I discovered a few inflos forming yesterday but as for blooms I only have Gina (not complaining, she is awesome!) and my 1 yr old blooming seedling, go figure! I think we all just got a late start.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

No flowers here either. 10 inflos none open. maybe The heat this week will get em going.

Mike

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I think a few organic materials take longer to get into the plant due to having to be broken down by soil microbes before they are available to plants and things like that. That may or may not be your problem however.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well this June gloom is not helping them at all. So could very well be that. Hope they all wake up soon.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Lynn, I have been spraying my plants claws with pro-tec and foliage pro, and they are really responding. My husband sprayed them with fish emulsion. Boy, did they go crazy after that. My best bloomers are Wildfire, Magnum Opus, Gold Coast Cotton Candy, and Siam Ruby. Just starting to open buds, is Gladys O'Neal, Madri Gras, California Sally, Honey Queen, Celadine, and that curley white one. Most have inflos that are not open yet. My Hilo Beauty has the most beautiful leaves, almost purple. Can't wait to see what that bloom will look like. Barbra

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra,

Any fish emulsion? And only on the claws? What about the leaves and inflos?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

they were sprayed on just the claws, and then magic! Barbra

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

It seems in California, plants take longer to "wake up" than in the East in places like Texas, Florida, etc. Our night time temps get cooler too. I believe this has a great affect on plants.

Coastal temps don't drop as much as inland temps. But I see for a coastal city such as Santa Monica, even it drops down to the 62F tonight while Dallas stays in the 70-80s even at night.

There is a large Celadine visible from a mainstreet here and it's barely just starting to push out inflos. I'm sure some of you know which one I'm talking about, its the one at the motel on Foothill.

So even if Jungle Jack is located in zone 10 California, the plumerias still require to be grown in green house to get them pushing out the inflos by now.

This post was edited by musaboru on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 1:46

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I saw what may have been a Celadine, a 10 foot tall one as I was driving up Azusa Ave in Covina today that was completely covered with blooming inflos.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I have a few that are just opening their leaves like Rimfire, Red Dusk, and Hong Kong which is usually in full swing by now. I do have a ton of inflos and flowers open on Mele Pa Bowman, Emmersons Pink Nova (6 inflos in full bloom about 2 doz more in bud on EPN, Sundance has a few flowers open along with India and Penang peach which in pretty much full bloom. Its been in the upper 60s and gloomy and humid the past weeks with a day here in there in the upper 70's. I check my temps daily through out the day where my plumie patch is and it was only 73 there today, it was in the 80s at house....

I know some people in Upland and the IE have been posting a ton of pics of Thai plumies in full bloom, not sure if they bought them @ JJ's that way as they have been there a few times already, or the sizzling hot temps of the IE kicked them into full bloom (I know there was record breaking heat last week in the IE..).

Since your collection is fairly new, and you have also moved several times, your plants may need time to acclimate to your new micro climate. A lot of your plants were from JJ, so many were greenhouse grown, others from Hawaii, etc., etc. In the next couple of season I think you will notice your plants opening and blooming earlier.

So be patient and let them acclimate

Cheers

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Hi No Clue, What city do you live in? I am having more open each day and we have a big plumeria which is common yellow that is in the front yard but by the backgate that is full of flowers. Love look at it from the kitchen window. I did not use any of the food that you gave your plants so not sure if it is that which is making them take longer. Hope that more will start blooming for you soon. Barb

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

LIke everyone has mentioned above, different locations, temperature changes in the evening, humidity all play a part in the growth and blooming process. We here in the east have the cold during the winter and they completely shut down, but then we get the heat and the humidity and they go crazy. This season has been different for us as well. My trees are leafing out beautifully and i also have inflos forming on several trees..No blooms yet.

Desert Sunrise
    California Sunset
    Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop
    Hong Kong
    Kapalua
    Miami Rose
    San Miguel
    Some Noids

SO i don't have any open blooms at this time, but next week they should grace me with their presence!!

Don't worry.. Like James mentioned, you had changes in your locations and they' re probably trying to figure out where they will be for the summer. They will open and bloom for you. Just wait.. We will hear you shout for joy here on the East Coast when you have them!! ;-)

Take good care of the other fragrant beauties that you have and enjoy them until you have your other babies open.

Enjoy the summer!!

I had to repot my Viola G . Worried about her after all of the trama from shipping. I left her alone for a while and then finally checked on her.. i had a few roots left and i repotted her and put her on heating mats in the greenhouse, so im keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, she will continue to gain strenght. SHe is a fighter.. she made it throught the winter.. ;)

Take care and don't worry!!!

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I completely forgot that I moved. Haha... even though it's less than 3 miles the temps difference is 5-10 degrees cooler!! Who would have thought right?

So I think the combination of different micro-climate and using only organics my plants are just slower to wake up. As James said it may take a few seasons for them to acclimate. Still, patience is not my greatest virtue.

Laura, I pray your Viola G will rebound soon. You're the best plumeria mama out there so work that magic! Mine is starting to wake up now. How is your Metallica doing this year? Will she grace us with her beauty once more?

My Hilo Beauty is still being stubborn. She's still debating whether or not she wants to wake up... what a stinker! LOL

• beachplant
    10 years ago

it is amazing how a few miles can make such a huge difference, it will be in the 50`s here but 30 in LaMarque, just across the causeway.

The plumeria have started growing like crazy here, last week some showed no signs of life and are now totally covered with leaves.
    Heat and humidity are here.
    Tally Ho!

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

The blooming season is just getting started but all plumeria should definitely be awake by now (in So Cal) otherwise, something is usually wrong.

• rox146
    10 years ago

the California Sunset I just got at Lowes 2 weeks ago...is it a seedling of Penang Peach...? roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

John stated JJ's stock was derived from Penang Peach, so yes.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Mine has a peachy scent so I figured it may have been.

• plucrazy
    10 years ago

I keep looking everyday and I only have two blooming, Key West red and NOID white/yellow cutting given to me last year. It has a huge 4" blossom on it but it only opens one at a time and then they drop off. Dosn't have much of a smell yet. I keep looking and looking and my friend asks if there isn't something I can do to make them bloom. Dah!!! Do an indian war dance. So went out to Lowes and bought three blooming ones. Take that you ingrates. Clara

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol Clara! I am thinking I might have to do the same! But I have so many already so it's hard to find the ones I want.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer