Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Pics from the Plumeria Society Sale

jandey1
11 years ago

Here they are, photos of the Seabrook PSA sale at last!

The best word to describe the sale itself is INSANITY. You'd think this was some crazy addiction people were feeding or something. ;)

The Break, going for the few available shopping carts in the opening seconds:

I hope you all appreciate the precious moments of plumeria shopping I lost out on to take these pics because when they open those doors, IT IS ON!

Lots of trees too tall to carry in a car:

I'm not short and I had to stand on my toes to get shots of this unknown pink:

This was another unknown, sold before I got to it, with huge 4"+ flowers:

Raspberry Sundae was gorgeous in person and much bigger than expected:

Not surprising that these two Elizabeth Thorntons are siblings:

Lots of nice ways to display in pansy rings:

I believe these are Pu'u Kahea and Jeannie Moragne inflos:

This gives you an idea of how big Charlotte Ebert is:

Colors were intense with our Texas heat:

I left with one of these:

A close-up:

Everyone had to stand in long lines to pay:

They snaked around the corner:

Those people may look like mild-mannered gardeners, but actually they were ravening locusts of plumania, picking the sale tables clean by noon:

Thank goodness I pre-paid for my new Thornton Lemon Drop or I would've been out of luck in that feeding frenzy!

She's a 40" by 40" 14-tip beauty! Intense yellow flowers blooming on seven tips:

Much bigger than my other purchase, Heirloom:

Hope they get along.

Comments (55)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, Jandey, your Thornton Lemon Drop is gorgeous! Congratulations on getting both her and Heirloom! You are one lucky girl! I can only imagine how exciting the atmosphere in the place was.

I agree that the Raspberry Sundae is beautiful. So was Duke, but the most exciting thing for me is to see the pic of Charlotte Ebert. There's one on the way to me from Florida Colors. Can't wait! She is a grafted plant.

BTW, did they sell marijuana plants, too? Just asking... it looks like one to me. :)

Thanks for posting the pics for all of us to enjoy.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Jen,

I am laughing still thinking of "locus" cleaning up the leftovers... OMG!!! The beauty of them... I think that lady was just upset that she didn't get the ones that she wanted... Probably waiting to catch someone leaving their cart "unattended" LMAO!! I can feel the intense "frenzy" that must have filled the room...

This only makes me so happy for your kindness of helping me with my Thornton Maverick. I took a few more pics tonight and will post them just for you.. So, Thank you again for sharing your cart with me last year. CPX-25 is doing great, but is still slow growing . Moragne 23 is doing great as well as Wildfire.

The Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop that you purchased is a "show stopper" BEAUTIFUL!!! I can only imagine the fragrance that she is providing for you! MY TLD has three inflos, so i am quite happy! The other beauty is quite impressive..Congratulations on that purchase!!

Thank you for taking the time to "snap" some pics... I can imagine the time others were wondering why you were doing that when you could have been pushing that cart a little faster.. Maybe that is why the "lady" that looked so pleased, was behind you earlier... LOL...

I am so happy for you... love the container that you put your TLD in.. : )

Take care Jen!!

Laura

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Jen!

Thank you for sharing your experience at the sales. Your Lemon Drop is stunning! Now I gotta have one :) Didn't you tell me you were looking for Kelly Moragne? Psst, I saw one for sale at Brad's ;)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Jen- you will love your TLD. It is such a great bloomer and gets better each year. Mine has over 40 inflos right now which will each produce 15-25 flowers at one time constantly for months. That means about 800 flowers each day on one plant. It is such a show-off. Wish all my plants did that. Would be insane. Never seen Raspberry sundae but I really like how it looks. By the way, my yard is so ready to go off if I can just get some non foggy hot days. You were here just a month early. Bill

• joanr
    11 years ago

Wow Jen that is a beautiful Lemon Drop that you got. Who did you get it from - Emerson? And you are so right, I don't think you would have been able to get it if you hadn't secured it beforehand.

Those are some great pictures from the sale. I wish I would have taken some of the after - around 2:00pm. There were just a scattering of plants here and there left.

I also wish I would have had more time to shop. There were some great plants there. Heirloom is on my wish list now after seeing the bloom.

Didn't know you were looking for a Kelly Moragne but you might watch 1-stops sales. He has sold it but it was listed as Moragne #78. I believe it was first called Moragne #78 then renamed and registered with the PSA as Kelly Moragne after Bill Moragne's granddaughter.

Joan

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    THIS IS THE 3rd TIME I HAVE CaME BACK TO SEE YOUR E.T. LEMON DROP!!! I am so jealous but very happy for you! I hope I can find a nice sized E.T. Lemon Drop while I am in FL. Though I would have to ship it if it is anything larger than 3ft! Probobly cost me a fortune too!
    I saw that same pic that Laura was talking about. I'm sure people got inpatient in line but JEESH! There in plumeria paradise! They should just be happy that they access to these sales!

Hi Bill,
    You must really be looking forward to all those blooming inflos! I hope I can make it out there one of these days to see your little slice of paradise! Good luck and I sincerely hope you have an abundance of clear sunny skies!

Andrew

• elucas101
    11 years ago

That is one showstopper of a tree Jen, just perfection! That sale looks CRAAAAAAAZY, I'm surprised there were no injuries LOL!!!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Thank you Jen for taking the pics. Wished I could have been there this year. We were in Round Rock at the High School Baseball playoffs. I hope to make the July sale!!
    Lonnie

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all! I was thrilled to finally get a blooming tree, and just sorry I missed out on the big blooming plants at the show but they went so fast.

Rachel, sorry about adding to your list, but Raspberry Sundae was a show-stopper; had to post pics. Now kinda regretting not getting one myself, LOL! That lady was giving me the stink eye because I was taking photos, I guess, or because she was tired of waiting in line. Lemon Drop was safely tucked away in an SUV through the whole show, away from acquisitive eyes!

Rcantor, that big pink looked like Charlotte Ebert, but the scent was very faint so probably not. I don't know who sold it but they said it was an "unknown".

Moonie, how exciting that CE is on the way to you--it is a big beautiful flower! I'm not sure what the non-plumie was; there were very few other plants, mostly desert rose if anything.

Laura, I thought about you and Maverick as I spotted someone guarding his Maverick by a wall, "guns at the ready", lol. I didn't get to Emerson's table until it was too late; he had lots of blooming plants but they went first, of course. Nancy tried to talk me into another one--she's very charming--but I resisted. You would love her!

I overheard a guy telling his friend that he had two plants in a shopping cart and when he turned his back someone had taken them out, put them on a table nearby and took his shopping cart! Can you believe that?! I would've just kept his plants, too, LOL!

Thanks, Laura for the compliment on the pot. That was a steal of a deal from somewhere like TJ Maxx. Pot fits like it was made for Lemon Drop. Her scent is not as strong as I expected, and not as sweet as Celadine, but still lovely. And nine total inflos from a 14-tip plant can't be beat! Now I just need to go build another raised bed in the garden. OY, my back aches just thinking about it!

Kenny, thanks for the head's up at Brad's! I saw it when he listed it only as #78 but I'm not 100% sure the two are the same because I've seen conflicting descriptions. Maybe Bill knows...

Bill, I'll email you the name and number of the folks with Raspberry if you'd like. I'm so sorry I'll miss your yard's display! Lemon Drop was on the top of my list based on your stories of its blooming power.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Jen:

Congrats on your purchases! Love them both. Particularly love the shape of the TLD--what a score!

I too laughed imagining the frantic atmosphere in the room. I'm surprised there weren't any scuffles--it's not hard to imagine the hands of two separate people reaching for the same pot at the same moment..."I touched it first!" "No you didn't, I did!!!" LOL Yeowza!

Also, just fyi, I did buy my Kelly M from 1-stop. I distinctly remember that the description from Matt said "Moragne #78 aka Kelly Moragne".

Congrats again on your lovely new plumies and thanks for the photos! I too am jealous!

Greg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Ok... I just want to know who wants to visit this sale again next year...?

That lady that looked so kind was really me checkng out the other... LMAO... Not realy.. But had to mention that!! She has know idea how many people are staring at her and wondering why she has that evil look on her face...,she should be very haoppy!!! Maybe we can rent truck!! Sounds like fun to me.. i jusr want to know it if K will run security for us!!! : )

You would be in for a trip? Common people? ANyone?

Take Care,

Laura

I wouls love too come out there next year!!!

Jen, plese let me know when they decide when next dates for mext year..Please?

Laura

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joan and Greg, thanks for the confirmation on the #78/Kelly question. The PSA site lists Kelly's aka as Moragne #106 but I don't think that's right.

Greg, I moved to look at a tag on a plant and a lady came up seconds later and took the plant out from under me while I was still holding the tag! Really. It's crazy. Thing wasn't even blooming. Since I wasn't interested in the variety after reading what it was, I let her go unscathed.

Andrew and Emily, thanks for the lovely comments. It is a terrific tree; I'm very lucky.

And, Joan, Emerson had only 1-gallon Lemon Drops. I got that one from Texas Plumeria, who have some awesome photos online of their collection. Anyone who wants a plant should check them out--they do mail. I put the link below.

Lonnie, you're going to love that July sale. I liked Katy's last year better than this one, easier to get around in, but the venue's changed and I don't know how the layout will be.

Laura, you need more inducements to come down for next year's sale:

And look at the cutie desert rose I found for my mom at a nearby nursery (it was Joseph's in Pearland, awesome!):

Who could resist this face? This one's for you, Emily:

And one more Lemon Drop:

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Plumeria

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I can be hired muscle. I'll take protection payments in cuttings (rooted or unrooted). My wife and sister in law went to this sale last year. Using my SIL's description comparing this year to last; she said it was much more crowded and chaotic (just by volume of traffic). I think the very nice sale volunteers were a bit overwhelmed by the attendance...hence the two long check out lines, shopping cart piracy, and the stink eye lady.

It should be mentioned that the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express News (maybe others too) ran a full color multipage article on Plumerias the weekend before this sale. I don't recall the sale being specifically mentioned but Vendor/Table "Q" at this sale was Mr/Mrs Stafford on which the article was based.

Maybe Joan could weigh in on what she is hearing from her grower friends and what she thinks about the upcoming July Sale? I could be talked into going to that sale too.

Anyway you slice it...I think our little secret about Plumerias may be out. Demand is going to outstrip supply for a little while.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I hope to make the July sale, but it's a 5 hour drive from DFW.

• ivysmom
    11 years ago

Hello everyone! I am BRAND NEW to plumeria, and was at this same sale!! Arrived around 10:30 and it was considerably thinned out from these photos. The lines were still long, though :)

Came away with the two I was looking for (rooted Mardi Gras and Aztec Gold), plus my 4-year old picked out two unrooted cuttings (Candy Stripe and Pink Nova). While waiting in line, we passed the table with the blooms on display and I spotted the sample Raspberry Sundae and Lemon Drop... I sooo wanted to get out of line and see if there were any, but the kiddo was already antsy and the idea of restarting the half-hour wait to pay wasn't that appealing.

So, I'll be on the hunt again soon! I'm in Houston, and Buchanan's in the Heights is higlighting plumeria this weekend. We'll see what they have in store (my youngest sister sent me a gift card for my birthday this week... I immediately thought "plumeria at Buchanan's" LOL!)

So yeah... add this to my obsession list along with Hydrangeas and Hostas (which are doing great in the one shady area of our property :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Welcome, ivysmom! You'll have to take pics, it's what we look forward to! :)

You were so lucky to get to go to the sale. Tell us more about Buchanans. Is it a small local shop? Do they carry a large selection of plumeria and other tropicals?

I think your 4 y/o did a great job! I want a candy stripe, too! Monday night I was watching the ebay plumeria auction and missed out on the candy stripe. Wonder who won it? *looking around the forum* :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

"Anyway you slice it...I think our little secret about Plumerias may be out. Demand is going to outstrip supply for a little while."-kms2
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!! We must keep them all to ourselves. LOLOLO.

Ivy

welcome to the group! Youll love it here....your bank account wont but you will.

mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

LOVE all the plumie pics Jen and thanks for the DR shot - that is one lovely plant you picked up there!!! Seeing all the plumies is really testing my will not to buy another or start some more seeds!!!!!!!

• ivysmom
    11 years ago

Buchanan's does well in carrying plants that are either native or do well around here. They are a little more expensive than other nurseries (tons in our neighborhood) but the selection is great and they have all sorts of other nifty stuff as well. http://www.buchanansplants.com

Not sure about their plumeria stock, because I have only paid attention to that plant for about a month now, LOL! I did check before the sale for price comparison and they had a dozen or so small rooted ones. This week's newsletter said they got a large shipment, so I'm going to swing by there today :)

I've got photos from the event, but they are on my Facebook page, so not sure everyone can see them. I'll put some up on our family blog and post that here this weekend -- including pix of the cuttings that are being rooted on our partially-completed patio project right now.

I'm already daydreaming at work about carving out an area of the back yard for a tropical setting -- plumeria and hibiscus, multi-tiered raised beds, under our neighbor's huge kinda-ratty banana tree (which has an offshoot growing up under on our side of the fence, LOL!)... maybe park the hammock there.

This should be a cheap undertaking, right? *crickets* :)

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uh, Ivysmom, did you happen to put your tall Mardi Gras and Aztec Gold into the shopping cart of a lady who was behind a woman in a pink polo shirt, who chatted non-stop about plumeria the whole time? If so, I know exactly who you are! I was the talker two people ahead of you, lol! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tips!

K, you're right, the secret's out. We better hurry and buy more before they're all gone!

• pcput
    11 years ago

I found the REAL photo of that women at the sale.

{{gwi:1175939}}

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I am going to time lapse camera the next sale or mount my GoPro camera on the shopping cart.

• ivysmom
    11 years ago

jandey - yes, that was me :) Wow, small world! I came to this GW board by searching for raspberry sundae. I'm a member of GW in other forums... how cool to indirectly kinda sorta "know" someone here :)

Buchanan's didn't have many plants out today -- maybe 2 dozen. Mostly dwarf/miniature varieties. I picked up a "Rhonda" and "Divine" -- 4 tips and 3 tips, with at least 2 inflos on each and the Rhonda (which is peachy-smelling) has several open and opening blooms. They are small and cute :) They were all from a grower in California -- Jungle Jack's Plumerias.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Jandey! So it was you who bought that Lemon Drop that I'm drooling all over! Wow soo stunning!! LOVE!

• funinthesunincl
    11 years ago

I just seen this thread---that is me in the 1st picture (turquoise top) getting a cart right after the doors opened!!! I was one of the first 10 people in line... I love the PSA Sale-I have been going to it for well over 20+ years!! I was very happy with my purchases although I didn't get the tree that was on the top of my list (Texas Aggie...). I got a real nice triple stem w/6 tips Raspberry Sundae, a triple stem w/multiple tip Carmen, Penang Peach, Mardi Gras, Gladys O-Neal, Amarons Curly White, Bali Whirl, and Iris Sunset. All spectacular plants!!! Also picked up various other beauties like Ellen Bosanquet crinum bulbs. This Show/Sale has grown so much over the years--it is truly amazing how large it is now!! I really enjoy getting there early, finding a nice spot in line, and chatting with all my fellow plumeria growers in line. I am so grateful that I also live in Clear Lake and am just minutes away from the sale site!!! Great pictures---plumeria enthusiasm was written all over them!!! The checkout lines were a little long, longer than I had ever seen; BUT, one observation--it was the first time that I had seen the PSA use the credit card swiper (attached to the cell phones...) and it was taking multiple swipes for each transaction (which is normal because those thing are finicky to begin with...). It was fun though to check out what everyone had purchased while waiting in the lines.
    >>> Looking forward to next year!!! ~Mary Jane in Clear Lake :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

OK, so I have to ask. What do all those people do with their plumerias? Do they grow them in the ground in the Houston area? Or do they grow them in pots? Don't they need some protection? Mabye it's significantly milder near the Gulf?

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

To follow up w/ Dave's questions... what does anybody do with their plumerias where ever you are. Do you plant them in the ground? Keep them in the pots and move them around? Line them up like sardines? What?

I still don't have a clue what the heck to do w/ mine.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

No-Clue, depends on where you live.

If in mild zone, like So-Cal near coast (zone 10 or warmer), you can plant in ground, or if zone 9, plant in ground and be prepared to cover on cold nights.

If you get much colder than mid-30s more than ocassionally, keep in pots and move them under a car port or indoors on cold nights.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary Jane, nice to "know" you! Don't think I had any altercations with you as we ran around trying to get our plants. I can't believe you didn't find a Texas Aggie at the sale, but nice catch on Raspberry Sundae! Was it a kinda thin-branching plumie? That might have been why I passed on those.

Dave, your question assumes that there's some logic to the scramble for plants at this sale, lol. If you live right there I'd imagine you can just put them in ground (Clear Lake is right on the coast) and yank them out in the very unlikely event of freeze. But I think most people around Houston have theirs in big pots and bring them in on the rare 30-degree days.

• funinthesunincl
    11 years ago

G'morning---I LOVE the Raspberry Sundae tree I purchased at 'The PSA Sale'!! I purchased mine from German Collazos and it is a 1 gallon, THICK triple branched, with TRIPLE tips on two of the branches= 7 tips!! It is a super healthy gorgeous tree; I just measured it from the base of the tree (ground level) to the top of the tree, and it's 36 inches tall!!! It was on the top of my 'Gotta Get' list, so it was 4sale at one of the first grower's tables that I stopped by at. There were 5 growers that offered Raspberry Sundae...I was just happy the prices had come way down from last year's sale, otherwise I was going to wait to get one!! Not that the tree isn't worth it, it was TOO expensive for my plumie budget>>>so darn lucky to be able to spend ANY $$ on plumie purchases because of the economy right now! I am SO HAPPY about adding it to my collection!!! :) Texas Aggie was only listed with one grower at the sale--and the two that they had, were already pre-sold! :(

I have been growing plumeria for many years...I live near the Gulf Coast, so we have a pretty mild winter with a few surprise freezes sprinkled in. We have a pool/spa that provides it's own micro-climate that helps when the temps dip. Currently, all of my plumeria are in pots...some of them so tall they tower over my head! lol My plants stay outside, poolside, until the first freeze warning (if any) is announced. Then, I have a 'stripping party' & clip all the leaves off 1/2 an inch from the stem, and have all of them carted inside. Inside storage=we have a 'heated/air conditioned finished manspace' that is basically a finished 25 ft. bump out behind our three car garage- 2/3 manspace, 1/3 covered patio that houses the rest of my potted tropicals that I grow (my DH rigs up a huge plastic shield for those). One Christmas, I bought my DH a heavy duty bright shiny red 'dolly' (w/a big red bow...) to cart all the potted plumeria inside. :) They stay in there until spring (I would like to say March) when they come back outside. I DO NOT give them a drop of water the whole time they are in there---only several spray bottle mistings during their stay! The only reason I don't have any in the ground right now---I am afraid of the occasional hurricane that may hit us. IKE in '08 ripped thru our area with fury!!! We hurriedly took all our plumeria inside and left....not knowing if we would even come back to a house standing! I know several growers that dug up their huge plumeria, laid them on the ground, which worked out great..BUT, only to have them extremely sunburned from the position they were laying on! Next year, I think I am going to 'plunge pot' plant 3 of my large plumies in ground--so if I need to move them inside fast, I can. I have posted a pic of a couple of my potted plumies taken last June...

Jandey--did you go to the Stafford's Plumie Garden tour last weekend? I will be at the next PSA meeting in July--are you going? ~Mary Jane

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mary Jane,

Your yard and pool and plumies are gorgeous!! We can only dream of such yard in CA. But I'm only miles from the beaches so I guess that's the trade off.

Thank you for sharing your photo! :)

• funinthesunincl
    11 years ago

No Clue: Thanks for the compliment! BUT, according to my 16 year old son, one is not 'living the life' unless one is living in California!!! :) He plays Varsity football & baseball at a 5A HS here in Clear Lake, and he would LOVE to play either at a college on the West Coast/California!!! He will be doing anything he can to move out there eventually!! I hope he does good in school to pay for this life on the beach he dreams of!! (He surfs also...)

Also, in regards to your comments: "what does anybody do with their plumerias where ever you are. Do you plant them in the ground? Keep them in the pots and move them around? Line them up like sardines? What?" I have to laugh, I meant to tell you above, I had taken the picture above because I had just moved alot of my smaller, leggy plumies to the front to get some more sun since they were hidden by the bigger/older ones!! I usually have them bunched in groups---trying to protect certain areas that are 'in the zone' for the flying footballs from the guys in the pool!!! :0 lol

• pcput
    11 years ago

Mary Jane, How pretty. I feel left out as it almost seems like a prerequisite to have a pool to have plumerias. I don't :( They look so good together and yours looks so relaxing to sit and smell the blooms. Peg

• funinthesunincl
    11 years ago

Thanks Peg---we haven't always had a pool; but it sure does make this heat a little more tolerable!!! :)

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary Jane, gorgeous! A little slice of heaven! I'd have a heart attack if teen boys were throwing footballs around my plumies.

Yes, Peg, I agree that a pool seems a necessary accessory for your plumeria collection.

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Jen or Mary Jane-
    Do you have the contact info for the person selling Raspberry Sundae? (if they sell trees online, that is)
    Beautiful yard MJ!
    Peg- I don't have a pool anymore, so you're not alone :)

Rachel

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thanks Rachel, that makes me feel better, but they sure look good together. Peg

• funinthesunincl
    11 years ago

Rachel...I will send you an email via your GW/Member Page. And I'm glad you like my yard-Thanks!! :) ~Mary Jane

• joanr
    11 years ago

Rachel,

Under Jandey's msg above she has a link to Texas Plumeria where she got her Lemon Drop. You might check with them if they have any Raspberry Sundae's for sale. Joan

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I just bought Mardi Gras $10/3', Jacks violet $5 for seedling, Jade dragon $10 3-4', Aztec gold rooted cutting about 3', violet, 3 kings$5 for seedling, rasberry sundae and a bunch more in LaPorte. Larry is the guys name, he has everything from seedlings $5 to big blooming trees $75-100. Tons of rare & exotic ones. Headed up with a truck next week to pick up a couple of big blooming trees I want but wouldn't fit in the car.

Check Houston craigslist for plumeria, he is in LaPorte

I was planning to go to the sale this month but can't beat Larry for price and selection. I'm working ot this week to feed my addiction lol!
    Tally HO!

• joanr
    11 years ago

Beachplant,

You are correct. Larry has some great prices but most of what he had last year when we bought were seedlings. If you look at the thread Orange Punch seedling, that came from Larry. So maybe you will get some great plants too.

Joan

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Ike was not good to us, we put all the plants on the ground only to have them drown in salt water, everything in the house died because the city wouldn't let us home for 2 weeks, 2 weeks of being in a closed, boarded up house in Texas in summer, it was over 120 when we got home inside the house. BAH! I will never leave again, if the evacuation don't kill ya the wandering around homeless for weeks will.

Larry still has a bunch of seedlings but since he's moving he is selling off his big blooming plants this year.

Wait till the 16 yo finds out how much rent is in CA, add to the fires, storms, earthquakes, bankrupt state....I'll stay in Texas thank you very much. My friend in Anaheim, has a little 3 bedroom, built in the 60's with postage size yard valued at over $400,000!!!! The same house here is about 1/4 that price, the tax rate is much lower and it's closer to the beach.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I traded tropical plants for 12 of Larry Burkholder seedlings last September. I have an entire flowerbed with nothing but his seedlings. Maybe next year I will have blooms. He is the one that told me about putting sugar around my plumeria plants. I still haven't done it, but I am tempted to try. Barbra

• pcput
    11 years ago

Barbra, What does sugar around the plant do? Peg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

ivysmom, did you come to the Mercer or the Galveston county plant swaps? Ivy sure looks familiar.
    Tally HO!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Beachplant,
    most vendors at the PSA sales have reasonable prices compared to online vendors. Remember, this is the biggest fund raiser event for the PSA and a large percentage of the proceeds goes to the PSA. Also, seedlings do not come true to the seeds parents, so they are much cheaper than registered varieties.
    George

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Not being the worlds most partcular person has it`s advantages. I love the surprise of seedlings, what is true of plumeria is true of most plants.

I really am not all that fond of ordering plants on-line, it`s hard to have plants shipped here because of the heat. I try not to do any trades in the summer, then I run into the fact it is too cold in the north. I really prefer local growers, local nurseries, plant sales, swaps. Luckily there are multiple people in our area to buy plumeria from IE: Emersons. You can get a much bigger plant for less than a cutting. I think every plant society raises money through sales, the bromeliad society has a great sale every year in Houston and the daylily socieity sales must be avoided to prevent draining of the bank account.

To feed my other addictions I have a friend who raises bromeliads-Jimbos nursery in Santa Fe, amaryllis co-ops, a plant co-op, Cactus King on the north side of Houston, Josephs nursery in Pearland, Houston Garden center (70% off) for citrus!, plant swaps and of course the gardenweb forums exchanges, Maas nursery in Seabrook....I need a 20 step program!
    Tally HO!

• ivysmom
    11 years ago

Tally,
    Wasn't me -- I've never been to a plant swap! Just the two PSA sales this year (Seabrook/Clear Lake and Rosenberg/Ft. Bend County).

• beachplant
    11 years ago

come to the fall mercer swap! it is a blast.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio