Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot Help

Posted by NicholasH TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:56

I just repotted my Plumeria. I wanted to find a bigger, black nursery pot. I went to Lowe's, Home Depot, Houston Garden Center, and Walmart. I couldn't find anything. Almost every pot that was plastic didn't have holes in the bottom. Or wasn't big enough. So I decided to get a clay pot. I've read that clay pots are bad for Plumerias. I don't know what to do because there is a inflo coming out of one of my branches and I don't want to mess with the rooting system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot Help

how many holes at the bottom? Drill more with a mason bit? roxanne

o

There is one big hole at the bottom. I don't have a drill w/ a mason bit. My concern is the type of pot. I've heard that clay pots are not good for Plumerias. Supposedly the roots stick to the sides of the pot and dry up quickly. Do I stick w/ the clay pot or try to find a black nursery pot some how?

o

Paint the plastic one you like the color you want

o

Color is not my issue. Like I said the type of pot is my issue. Thanks for the advice though.

o

As I am sure you know then....the number of wholes in the bottom of any pot is extremely important. Many on our neighbors trees are in terra cotta pots and loving it. enjoy

o

thx

o

Hi NicholasH - the pot you have it in is fine. Use pot feet to keep the pots off the concrete floor so that you'll have better drainage. Pot feet can be found at any garden center. And when you have to repot due to it being root bound, breaking the pot is not necessary. When you get to that point, just do a search on this forum and you will find lots of info and pictures on how to root prune and repot.

Happy gardening,
Kasie

o

Don't worry, it'll be fine and better off not being transplanted before blooming.

I have several in clay pots and they do just fine. Plastic is easier but black plastic in Texas is not desirable in summer either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here