Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat9240

New Plumerias

pat9240
9 years ago

I have not posted in a while since everything I tried last season died. I swore no more Plumeria. Then I discovered a few seeds I had ordered from Brads so I tried starting them. To my amazement they all germinated but about three. They seem to be doing OK. Well today I was in Houston and purchased a Elsie and a Miniature Divine. So here I go again trying to grow these beautiful plants....Any input would be appreciated. The watering is where I think I go wrong.

Comments (8)

• plumtx
    9 years ago

Definitely don't give up! There will be others here with much more experience than me, but if your new plants are rooted you should be fine. Just do not overwater - and watch for distress from under-watering. Distress would be clear from drooping leaves or wrinkling branches. I am in Texas and have plumeria that can comfortably go 2 days without water and other can go a week (even this time of year). By the way, where in Houston did you find your Divine? Is it rooted or a cutting? I may pick one up if they have more!

• pat9240
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Plumtx, I bought my Plumerias at Buchanans Native Plants, 611 E 11th. They are rooted I guess , they have blooms on them. The one gallon was $35 and the two gallon was $55. I probably paid too much but when you find them you should buy if you can. Thanks for your input I will watch them like a hawk.

• elucas101
    9 years ago

Hi Pat! Since you mentioned you feel that overwatering might be a problem, I'm curious what your soil is like. Do you have a well draining soil mix? That can help to even out even a heavy handed waterer...

Also do you bring them in when the temps get low? It looks like we're in the same or similar climates. What exactly happened to your plants before? Maybe we can help figure out what may have been the cause for the trouble?

• pat9240
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elucas, all I know is the stem just kept getting mushy. This time I refuse to water unless the leaves start to droop....

• pcput
    9 years ago

Pat you can use the wooden skewer test. Stick it in the pot different places and if it comes out damp don't water. I don't know how I didn't kill my 1st one the first winter. It was in what looked like top soil (came in it from the store). The only thing that saved it was I knew not to water as soil never dried out. It was over 2 weeks and still hadn't dried. In spring I repotted it in a lighter mix, and lighten it twice more that year. I didn't stop until it started to dry out every week.
    Good luck and I'm sure you can do it. This is how we all learn.
    Peg

• pat9240
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that little trick Peg I will defiantly give that a try. My two new Plumeria are in the pots from the nursery the soil is very light lots of perlite. The wind blew them over yesterday hope it did not damage the roots.

Pat

• pat9240
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well here it is 4 months later and my Plumeria seedlings and Elsie and Mini Divine are still alive in my greenhouse. Now comes the next question, what is the next step? I have read that you do not let first year seedlings go dormant. How do you accomplish this? Also will my Elsie and Divine lose all their leaves and do I bring them all in the house? My greenhouse does not have heat and it gets cold in the winter time. Do I use grow lights on the seedlings? Lots of questions sorry!

• pat9240
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Added Elsie and Mimi Divine!

This post was edited by pat9240 on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 19:48

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths