Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Second Costco shipment

chuy415
10 years ago

I strolled through the plant area and again I find more- spoke to the manager and its the second shipment. They looked even bigger (IMO)

Chuy

Comments (37)

• rox146
    10 years ago

the Oxnard Costco reduced the price by ten bucks and they were half gone yesterday..roxanne

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!! Nice. This Costco only reduced by 5 ;(

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

sad...they all look so bad and what 2 had blooms were all broken off...

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Chuy,
    You must really love Costco... ;)
    I went to Costco in Lakewood Mall 2 wks ago and did not really see anything. I usually make a mad dash to get in and out of Costco as I hate crowds and lines... So I stay focused on my list and then leave.
    Are they Cstars plumies?

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can't get enough of Costco! Lol. Yes C stars! I literally live like 2 minutes so I don't mind it! But I do know what you mean about the long lines and crowds.

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

we go once a week for gas for our boat. My husband HAS to have pizza/sundae etc. once a week....he can, he swims 3 miles each morning. roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

WOW.... Costco owes you 2 shares in the company, I only go maybe every 2 or 3 months when my paper goods need replenishing. I usually get paper goods from Costco and like Sams Club for majority of my big box goods. When I go to Long Bch I usually go to the Costco in Lakewood Mall as its not that crowded yet as its newer (maybe 1 1/2yrs old) and has self check out which most people do not use so no line.

Roxanne ...WOW your DH swims 3 miles each morning, that is amazing. When i was in Highschool and was getting my certification for lifeguarding we swam 3 hrs everyday as part of our program, can't imagine doing it now, normally I am a floater or I am on a flotation device..lol.

Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow they are huge! Did you buy any? ;)

I have a love/hate relationship w/ Costco. I love shopping there but I HATE the crowd! It doesn't matter what day of the week or time of the day you go it's always packed. And we have two Costcos within 2 miles radius too, so I don't know why it's always so busy. It usually take me a good 15 minutes to even find a parking spot. But I do like the organic section and of course we get gas there too so I come once every 10 days or so. The kids love the freebies b/c I normally don't feed them junk so when we go to Costco it's their cheat day! LOL.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn
    Your lucky, no costco near me, basically about 8 to 10 miles min in questionable neighborhoods in the valley or Culver City, and their super crowded. This is one reason I usually only go big box store shopping every 2 or 3 mon.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh!! And there I go!!

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here I am!! I'm only 5 feet tall!! Just couldn't resist

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Awe... James... sorry you have to drive far to find a Costco. Next time you come here we'll hit both Costco! LOL

Chuy - wow that's a huge tree! What did you buy? Do tell. :)

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought an Irma Bryan (strong red-maroon). With 5 inflos! I was told in line from a man to wipe the leaves with milk!! It looks pretty healthy but I wasn't sure of that. I have never heard of that- he said its to make it grow and just become healthier

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

All the orchid people tell you to wipe w/milk. I always wondered how people got those huge trees home... :-) roxanne

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hhhmm. I had never heard that. Yes- a little help from a Costco employee ;)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

OMG Chuy!!!

What a find!!!

I don't blame you for buying that one!!! She is a beauty!!!

How far did you have to travel with it in the truck like that? Did you wrap it up at all?

Drooling here!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Chuy,
    OMG...loving your plumiemobile..lol I bet people where wondering what was up :) I cant believe nothing snapped off with the wind pressure and just the move... CONGRATS!!
    I use to have a convertible I used to haul taller plumies in, the tallest was 6ft (Samirie), people would laugh as I drove by and some called out "hey that Pakalolo?"..lol
    Congrats or the Irma bryant loved the pics made me happy and laughed..lol

Cheers

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ;). I traveled a whopping Half mile and literally drove with my hazards on and maybe drove 8 to 10 mph. It was fun seeing people smile at me while they drove past me. I'm so excited!! I had about 5 people ask me how much I bought it for and others ask if there were any left! (They must not be regulars like myself) lol!
    Laura- I didn't wrap it at all - just drove slow!
    Freak4plumeria- I'd give u a thumbs up if I had seen you driving a convertible! Lol

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Chuy,
    Thanks for the thumbs up..lol
    Unlike you I was in Tustin and drove the Samirie from there took the 22 to the 405 at 10 30pm. So unlike you I lost leaves, inflos and couple tips.
    So congrats on making it in one piece..

Cheers

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Great plumeria, can't wait for you to post more pics here, with her in her new home. :)

How much was it after all?

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ;). It was $70. Just couldn't resist.
    Will definitely post pics :0)
    Chuy

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Can I also ask where exactly is that Costco? My kids' godmother wants a couple that size and she lives in OC too.
    Thank you. :)

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

San Juan Capistrano ;0). There were about 13 or so left.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Very good deal for those large plumies! Thanks for the info. She lives more to the N part of OC. I will let her know anyway.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. I agree :). Sure. No problem!

Chuy

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Nice find!!!
    Lonnie

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hey,

I stopped by Costco in Irvine today to pick up something for my girls. And I saw around 8 plumeria. I'll post pics later. They were very tall but did not look good to me. The branches' diameter were no larger than a quarter! For something this tall 5-6ft, I would expect much thicker branches. But not only that many trees had branches in the center cut off which made the tree look really ugly in my opinion. Maybe that's why they are so cheap? $69.99 each.

Most were Goldmine, Nebel's Gold, Irma Bryan and one other variety but I forgot the name.

This post was edited by No-Clue on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 22:31

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Woohoo, what a great find! You were right to pick that up for only $70!

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No clue- I did see some like that too- only about a quarter diameter (branches). But most were healthy and plump branches!

Jandey- thank you. Yes I'm so excited ;)

Chuy

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

lol...Pakalolo...nice. Only Japanese Maples, Fruit trees, and Azaleas have ever been at my Costco. Oh and that great its dads turn to make dinner Pizza too.

I have carried some pretty big plants standing and laying down in a truck bed. I kept it around 45mph at the highest and they have been just fine. The best time to transport this way is before they have alot of leaves or after they have thinned out.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Kms2,
    I agree, gets messy when they plants fully leafed out. I learned the hard way, after the first time I used my convertible to transport a plumie I noticed after that the latex splatted everywhere, would not come off my leather interior. Since my car had been christened with latex I decided to use it as my sole plumiemobile. If I needed a larger vehicle I refused to use my other cars as not to get them marked with latex (windows, seats, seat belts, etc., I would rent a vehicle and have the carwash clean it after, better ruin a rental than my own car..lol.
    The other thing is you can get a huge lawn and leaf bag and put it over the plant if it fits and tie it off so the latex and mess does not get on anything, also plastic painters tarps for larger plants with tape.

Cheers

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Chuy, you and I must be neighbors. =) I walked away from one yesterday AND it had flowers about to open. I just didn't have the right car w me or anyone I could ask. next time...

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lnorigb- hmmm. Lol. They are nice aren't they?? Must be neighbors ;)

Chuy

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I had never thought about the latex sap aspect of it although I did get it in my hair once.

The jolting action of bumps and dips in the road seems to cause most damage if they are laying down and the wind causes more if they are standing higher than the passenger cab of the truck. I have used nets or ropes or even an old hammock to tie up a large plant for transport and that helps prevent excessive movement snapping branches without creating a giant sail. But would not do a thing to limit sap getting everywhere.

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Well done! That is a huge tree, it is very hard to buy a tree of that size at a typical nursery. Be sure to post some updates once you get it placed in its final home :)

I think this is a California-only thing? Our store in Clearwater FL had some huge (12ft?) Magnolia trees earlier this year for ~$70. I imagine at a nursery one would pay several hundred for a tree like that. I'm definitely a Costco fan.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

No Costcos here. Sams had some palm trees and a few hibiscus, the usual bulbs.
    Nice tree!
    Tally HO!

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!! I had to bring it home lol! I think I'm leaving it in the plastic pot I brought it home in for now. I brought it in the backyard for now and plan on keeping it there for a while. But will post pics as the days/weeks/months go on....
    I think you're right- must only be a California thing!! It's the weather/climate I suppose. ;)

Chuy

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner