Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria never flowers

Posted by kairynel none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 18:41

Hi, I was hoping you could help me out. I bought a plumeria cutting in Maui a couple years ago and potted it. It seems to have taken root well, I have had it for almost three years now. However, it has never once flowered. Is this normal?

The leaves all drop off every once in a while, but always grow back. It doesn't seem to have gotten much bigger either. I live in Southern California, and my plant is on an outdoor deck that gets plenty of sun, and I only water it about once a week. Could you give me any advice?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria never flowers

It looks healthy. Do you fertilize it regularly?

o

Hi,
Yes, I am also curious about fertilization and which kind you use. Also, is it up against a house or wall like in the photo? How big is the pot and how long has it been in that pot??

o

I actually don't fertilize it regularly...I just used a Miracle Gro cactus potting mix. It doesn't show in the picture, but to the left is the fence of the deck. It is up against the wall I guess. I'd say the pot is a 1 gallon maybe? I'm not too sure about that, but I haven't changed it since I potted it.

o

I would first remove the saucer under the pot that holds water, that's really bad for plumeria roots. Also for a cutting that size a one gallon pot should be fine. I have over 100 cuttings in one gallon pots and they bloom just fine. I would say to start using Miracle Grow Bloom Booster once every two weeks and make sure it's out in direct sunlight. It's still early so it has plenty of time to bloom this year.

o

Kairynel, this is the problem with plumeria: they bloom when they reach the right size for it. And that size varies from plant to plant.

Mine are taking an average of three years from rooting to blooming. However, when they reach blooming age they will bloom more frequently.

You may want to do as suggested above, and treat for insects as your leaves look like they have spider mite damage. Neem oil or regular blasting with the hose should do the trick. Good luck!

o

I agee with jandey about treating for sucking insects, the spots on the leaves are indicative of them. And I agree about ditching the saucer, getting it in the sun and fertilizing.

I would gently take the plant out of the pot and look at the roots to see if it's root bound. After a couple of years of it being in that pot I bet it's root bound. If so, you can just prune the roots a bit, bring that soil level up in the pot a bit and re-pot it. That may invigorate the plant a bit and also encourage it to grow.

You can see the scar where it bloomed before so it is either slow growing or has slowed due to other factors - so we know it is capable of blooming haha!

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here