Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

Transplant shock or thirsty?

Hi all,

This is the Divine that I picked up last week. I noticed today that the stems are a little soft and wrinkly. I'm not sure if this is transplant shock or thirst.

I did a bare-root repot immediately after bringing the plant home because it was unbelievably loose in the pot and there was no good way to stabilize it. That was 5 days ago.

The leaves look fine - no yellowing or drooping. It has a decent sized root ball as well. I know Divine is a thirsty plant, so I'm thinking this could just be a watering issue? It's in the gritty mix.

My plan was to water it well with B1 and Superthrive and then leave it alone for a few days and see what happens, but I would appreciate anyone else who wants to chime in with advice! Picture is below.

Hollis

Comments (7)

• krismast
    10 years ago

I have a divine as well and was concerned because it was getting wrinkly too. But then we had a ton of rain and it got soaked. It plumped up almost immediately and now it looks great. I have also heard a few people here say that Divine really likes water during the growing season. Since you just transplanted it, I would assume it just needs more water. Especially if its in the gritty mix. I hope to eventually move my divine into the gritty mix as well, but for this season I think I will keep it in the peat/perlite mix that it came in.

Kristopher

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    10 years ago

I bought a small DIvine from Home Depot last year in late June. It was nicely leafed out with those floppy greenhouse produced sort of leaves, planted in a light mix of potting soil and perlite, so loosely rooted it almost was falling out of the pot. I took it home, shook off all the fluffy potting mix, found only a few wispy roots, and repotted in a more solid mix of potting mix and pumice, watered it and put it out in a sunny location. Within days its leaves were droopy and within a week it had the same wrinkled trunk you have, maybe worse. I cut off most of the existing leaves to reduce water stress and tried hard to ignore it, and within 3-4 weeks the trunk and branches firmed back up again. Now, a year later, it has a much thicker trunk and branches, and the three branches have become 6, with 6 inflos. So, I would guess it is just transplant shock you are experiencing.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Both... In my opinion!!!

I would water it again and keep it in indirect light... like others mentioned, it can be watered often in the Gritty Mix and since you just root pruned and repotted, it needs more water then just potting up. Anytime you root prune, the tree needs extra water. Water it well, slowly and all around the surface of the mix.. let it drain out the bottom and then repeat the watering process and let it drain. This should help it greatly. Let it acclimate before you introduce it to the sun for 10 days or so. I think it is in shock and with the heat you are having, it is craving water... My Divine could live in a pool of water!! (kidding of course!!) ;-)

Let us know how it responds..

Take care,

Laura

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks y'all!

Laura, I did my best to not root prune when transplanting! LOL!

I've been keeping it in filtered morning light/afternoon shade since I brought it home. I know what you mean about watering the gritty mix - I usually make 2-3 passes with the watering can so that the water has time to absorb. I watered it really well today with the B1 and Superthrive and will now leave it alone! The weird thing is that I had to do the same repotting to 2 other JJ plants a few days before, and they are both fine. Neither is a Divine, though.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi there,

It is true Divine likes more water. But then again she's my fastest grower as well as a generous bloomer and brancher.

Hopefully in a few days yours will bounce back!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Daogirl,

LOL.. That was good then not to root prune!!! I was wondering.... Im sure it is just acclimating to the new enviroment. Make sure it has water when dry... All trees are different and have their own way of adjusting. Like MJ mentioned, it probably needs time to get used to your area. Keep an eye on it without messing with it to much. He has it right.. He ignored it and it bounced back!! Hard to do.. but it works!!

i would do a few "walk bys" and check on the trees... ;-)

Please keep us updated on how it does!!

Take Good Care,

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Picked up a Divine at the PSA sale. It is dreadfully rootbound. Thanks for the info. I shall watch out when repotting to see what happens.
    Tally HO!