Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Purple Jack Feedback?

Kimo
9 years ago

The past 2 seasons I've neglected my patch as its located about 45min away from where I live at one of my Apartment complexes I own. I noticed this season that some plants have gotten so unruly that they are pushing over other plumies. Because I have been reducing my collection, I feel I should get rid of some trees, besides a major pruning.
I bought a 6ft Purple Jack from John in 2006, its still in the same pot I purchased her in and is about 10ft tall and bushy now.
Pic taken @ John's GH at his house in Oceanside from 2006:

Didn't have time to take a current pic but here ere is an aerial pic from June 2012, there is a 6ft tall cinderblock fence in back of it to show height. Its a lot bushier and taller with 100 plus tips.

The pic was taken @ 11am, the blooms pinkish but in reality because of the age of the tree the plumies even in the cooler temps look lavender to purple mauve depending.
Would love feed back whether it would be easier to sell it chopped up or whole as a tall blooming tree?

Thanks

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 19:30

Comments (9)

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Heck of a tree and glad to see you back on!! Beautiful color!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Shane. Hope you received my msg?
    James

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi James!!!

I wouldn't know what to do with a tree that large.. OMG!!!!

I would try and sell it as a whole tree first, if it doesn't sell then I would sell cuttings..you would have tons !!!

Your helper would turn purple with all of that work!! ;-)

Glad to see you as well...

Miss you!

Laura

• georgecc
    9 years ago

James, when you get a chance, let me know how much you'd consider selling the whole tree for.
    Thanks,
    George

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Laura,
    Hope your doing well :) I got rid of the helper a while ago, so no one watering or really maintaining the plumies except for my occasional visit every 2 weeks or so and a 12 mon time released Nutricote fertilizer.
    I also have a plumie gift bag for you and Peg that I will drop off with Bill by the time you guys have your visit with him.

When I bought the Purple Jack from John in 2006 he was charging a $100.00 for a single tip plant in a 1 gal or smaller pot and 15.00 per extra tip. I paid 990.00 for the 6ft plant as it was his own personal plant that he had for couple yrs.
    Like any other plumie PJ has dropped dramatically in price, even though the tree has grown 4ft taller and much fuller.
    A good long time plumie friend called me after I posted and stated she wanted the tree so I decided since the prices were so low just to gift the tree to her as I know she will keep it in her personal collection and not sell it, or parts of it. So basically the tree is spoken for.
    Thanks for the feed back....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi James !

That sounds like the best possible solution for you! I know how much you love your trees and I'm sure you didn't want to cut or even part with it. I like the idea of giving it to a friend who will nurture it ... Keeping with the " Aloha Spirit". So I'm sure it makes you feel better Just knowing that it will remain the big guy that it is.... Your tree has a lot of history as well as all of your trees. I'm sure it is hard to decide what to do and how to keep them under control. I sure hope that you find someone to help you... That is a big task watering your patch!!

I cherish what you have given to me and I am thankful for you even thinking of us.. That makes my day, but I will miss seeing you the most. I always think of you every time I water my trees as well as thinking of the delicious restaurants you have mentioned... Yum! Miss those feet too!!! Lol...

Still have the talking emoticon telling me what it wants.. Lol. ! That's to funny!!!

I hope you are well... :)

Please keep in touch!

Many thanks to you ..

Cheers!!!

Laura

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Glad you found a good home for your tree!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Glad it got a good home

• pcput
    9 years ago

James it is a "beauty". I "Love" purple jack and have one waiting for me in CA (thank you George). It will be wonderful to get to see everyone out there. And to see all the "Trees" as they are suppose to grow. So excited to be able to see JJ's and Upland too. Everyone is so wonderfully generous to us. Laura is always spreading the "Aloha Spirit" and I try to follow her example. She is a great teacher!
    Good job finding a good home for your beloved plant. What a generous gift.
    Peg

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio