Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Broken Root Ball!!!

No-Clue
11 years ago

I received my rooted plants today and my Jeannie had no root ball. Fuzzy attached a note to say that it broke off but it should be fine. There are two tips w/ two inflos but no root at all! I'm soo bummed!

1. Do I treat this as a cutting then??

2. Do I have to but off the infos?

3. Once planted in the Gritty Mix how often do I water this since it has no root ball?

As for the rest of the rooted plants I cleaned off the old soil and also planted in Al's Gritty Mix. I watered it w/ Superthrive and Vit B1. Now how often do I water these and when can I add Foliage Pro??

Thank you all!

Comments (7)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Oh no!

And just a question for those of you with more experience... when you pay for a ROOTED cutting, shouldn't you get a rooted cutting? Is it considered ok to send one where the roots have been completely broken off? Just a question, I don't mean any disrespect to the seller.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie... I don't want to sound picky but I was wondering the same thing considering this is the second rooted plant that I received with the root ball completely broken off! But last week I didn't know any better so I didn't think to ask you guys.

Additionally one plant I paid a lot of money for the inflo fell off and another one of the 3 tips broke as well. I don't think it's the seller's fault on those since they broke off during transit. But the root ball thing... is really upsetting me. I hope the plants will rebound soon! :(

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey NC,

I would not worry about JM as she is pretty hardy and a good grower and rooter. Since your JM had roots already the cambium layer area should send out new roots quickly as it is not a cutting. The only thing is if your JM gets squishy then Id be worried and ask Fuzzy what his quality assurance policy is regarding a plant he sent out with a broken root ball? If your JM is firm it should start sending out new roots in 3 weeks or so.
    Ive received bare rooted plants from Singapore, Thailand, and even FL and Tx where the plants where shriveled and the roots were all dried out and brittle. Basically it was similar to your situation where it was rooted then the existing root ball was destroyed. The thing about plumies are they are very HARDY, survivors. My damaged shriveled plumies since they were already rooted original sent out new roots in 3 to 4 weeks.

Again I would not worry to much but definitely contact Fuzzy. Fuzzy's old plumie business partner sells in SD.

Cheers

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Freak... that makes me feel a little better. Such a shame though for both tips have inflo. The trunk is wrinkly and not as firm as all my other plants from JJ's. So I will keep a close eye on them and see how they do.

Does anyone know if I should water it as a rooted plant or a cutting where I don't water until I see some 4 inches leaves?? I planted them in Al's Gritty mix...so pretty fast draining. Thanks.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC
    Personally Id water, especially because of the heat it endured during transit from Hawaii. Sometimes even freshly cut cuttings coming from Tx, Hawwaii, Fl, Thailand, etc end up getting wrinkles or shriveling a bit. So again Id water it well as it was rooted after you pot it up then keep it moist not wet...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi No Clue,

I would agree with James...

Water the Jm since you have it in the gritty mix... It is so fast draining that within several days it is bone dry..like James said it is on its way to root faster than a normal "fresh cutting" sice it had established roots and it is ready to produce more...

As far as the newly planted barerooted cutting potted up into the gritty mix. I water when they are dry..it depends on your heat , humidity, etc... but i have to water my newly planted trees around every three days. You are not going to cause any major problems by watering these rooted trees in the gritty mix. You can use a wooden skewer to check for moisture or start to get the feel of the container when it is dry. I don't hesitate to water my trees in the summer when i think they are ready for some water... People think of rot it they are watered to much, but the real problem is when they sit in water. They don't like wet feet, so if you use a fast draining mix, you have started them on the right track. Plants/trees need water. So let them dry out just a bit, then water.

Bill always comes to my mind when he would say... Don't "mother Hen' your trees. Give them some space to grow and dont fuss about with them to much... LOL

He is right. You repotted the new trees.. Wonderful JOB!!

The one with the roots missing, that really isnt to much of a problem...that actually happened to one of mine from Fuzzy. I emailed him and he said to watch it and if i had problems email him back. It is doing fine and growing well. i think it had one root on it when it arrived...

Relax...

This is fun ... :)

ALL will be fine..

Remember when you think they need water wait a day or two, except for the new planted (rooted ) trees. I give them extra attention. I like to keep them from direct sunlight as i had mentioned.. Just to give them some break from all of the stress...

It will be fine...

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thank you James and Laura! I feel much calmer now. For the whole day I had this knot in my stomach. I got so distracted that I even potted the Duvachelle cutting in the Gritty Mix in the black pot and not the clear bottle like I had intended. Oh well.. only time will tell.

Thanks again!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!