Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

dozen June blooms

tdogdad
17 years ago

Here are a dozen June blooms. Starting at 9 oclock and going clockwise are:

Thornton Lemon Drop, Gloria Schmidt, California Sally, Golden Rainbow (12 o'clock), Pink Pearl, Aztec Gold, Guillot's Sunset (3 0'clock), India, Penang Peach, Kauka Wilder, and Pink Windmill (6 o'clock) In the center is the most hardy white with red stripe on back (blooms from May through Valentines day). Enjoy!!!

{{gwi:1176925}}

Comments (18)

• mystwitch
    17 years ago

Beautiful blooms tdogdad, I love the Golden Rainbow and the Pink Windmill, I have not seen those before.

Karen

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Just beautiful!

• mikeod
    17 years ago

Must look very nice around your place!

I'm still waiting for my blooms to really start. This warm weather should help the inflos I've got going. They won't be as pretty as yours though.
    Mike

• kasiec
    17 years ago

So lovely tdogdad. Keep it coming.

Kasie

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Tdogdad,
    beautiful beautiful, enjoyed so much. Where do you buy your plants? I don't know where to find these plumies. I am frustrated, have not seen any of these plants bloom. My neighbors only, seem to have white ones..
    Karen B

• wanda662
    17 years ago

Those are so pretty! I've had Kauka Wilder on the top of my want list for awhile.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

Great to see and compare all those varieties side-by-side. Thanks for posting.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen- I have been collecting for years so I have bought from everyone. I also trade with members of my local Plumie Society and buy at garden shows. Pink windmill I won in a raffle and I like it very much. My best deals came from Maui Gardens and Aloha because I got what I paid for. HawaiiSandy was the best E-bay source and I have fantastic plants from Sandy Little's auctions. I have been "screwed" by many others when you see five years later that your Pink Ruffles is not pink or ruffled or that Kaneohe Sunburst is not what you bought but an ugly little pink.
    Wanda- For sure get your Kauka Wilder and also get a Jeannie Moragne. together they look like little and big sisters, but KW smells like coconut suntan lotion and JM smells like a red rose. A great pair! I also recommend Gloria Schmidt and Calif. Sally as two that produce many flowers long into the season with striking colors. Notice, none of my reds, oranges or big whites have started yet. Many are running 3 weeks late this year. I'll post more as more come. Thanks for appreciating.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

Of your blooms, I really like the India. How easy is it to grow and root?? Does it bloom reliably and what about its growth habit? Questions, questions. That Pink Windmill is huge.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

India is very easy. It is a leggy plant so it grows about 18-24" a year. It does not have a huge flower mass but it blooms for several months. Mine starts out with more reddish color and then fades to an orange. I have given several to friends who also found it to be a favorite. The nicest part of the pink windmill is that it has a 5-6 day staying power and is one of the longest lasting flowers I have. Also when it comes out it is very bright fucia and bright yellow. I do not know where it came from but somewhere in San Diego area. It is a gem in looks but lacks smell.

• greenwitch
    17 years ago

The white in the middle looks and sounds like "Gardenia" that one of the members of the South Coast Plumeria Society shares. I love mine it - is a bloom machine, a simple blossom but with a mesmerizing fragrance. You've got a nice collection!

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Neil sells it as gardenia but it is not gardenia. Now he sells it as gardenia trumpet which is because he thinks it looks like JL trumpet which it is not. Marilyn at Marilyns wholesale gardens sold me an original which she just called white with red stripe. My wife calls it psyco white because it grows like a weed and blooms forever. I have a "real" gardenia from the Jim Little fields in Oahu and it is considerably different in shape, look and smell. This should get Mike going on inventing names or calling a plant something because the flower looks somewhat like a named plant. Whatever you say, Mike, I will probably agree!!! Nothing against Neil, as he is a great guy- I just do not agree with the practice. If you do not know for sure, then it is "possibly a ...." or a seedling of a ..... You cannot ID for sure from a flower!!!!!

• lynne_melb
    17 years ago

These are really gorgeous. There's something about the Thornton Lemon Drop that really appeals to me.

I'm a plumeria newbie, just have one cutting given to me by a friend. I'm looking for a plumeria for landscape value - I'd like to have a specimen in my front yard. I life in zone 9b, southeast coastal Florida. Having a compact bush is a priority. Nice scent and keeping ability would be the next in priority. Would you recommend the Thornton Lemon Drop for me? Is there a set of some plumeria that are somewhat failproof, and thus easier for the beginner? I am an advid gardener, just new to plumies. Thanks so much. Lynne

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Thorton Lemon Drop is a beautiful yellow and a good size flower. It has a clean smell but not the great smell of Celadine. All the yellows are easy to grow and will grow in your area. My favorite yellow is Lava Flow but TLD is second. I also like Heidi which is a small but very pure golden yellow. Other good ones are Mele Pa Bowman (yellow singapore), Aztec Gold, and Moragne #23.
    Thornton Lemon Drop:
    {{gwi:1176926}}
    Heidi:
    {{gwi:1176927}}

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I do not have a good pic of my Lava Flow which is soon to bloom and I will get a good shot when it does, If you have Jim Little's book it is on pg.8.

• lynne_melb
    17 years ago

Tdogdad, thanks so much for the extra pictures. I'm very drawn to the yellows, so I'm glad to know that they grow well in my area. I've only lived in zone 9b for a year and a half. Before that is was zone 5, a suburb of Chicago, which really crimped my gardening efforts. Now I'm like a kid in a candy shop, which is why perhaps I like Lemon Drop so much. Groan.
    Lynne

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Report on staying power. Today, July 4, seven days after setting up the ring of flowers all had turned brown except pink windmill, Gloria Schmidt and Calif. Sally. Those three far outlasted the other nine. Also, Lynne, my Lava Flow just opened and it is awesome. I will get a picture soon for you.

• lynne_melb
    17 years ago

Thanks Tdogdad, Please post a picture of Lava Flow if you have a chance. Lynne