Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

And to add insult to injury....

moonie_57 (8 NC)
10 years ago

The Thai Raspberry Sundae, which I bought from Brad... ya know, the Raspberry Sundae "wannabe"... is dropping it's buds! LOL

Actually, I'm very concerned about my mind. :)
After Mike informing me (gee, thanks, Mike :) that my plant is only the "wannabe", I was in a very bad mood for the rest of the night. (I'm serious) Then, the next day, I realized that I had already had this conversation before and was very much aware 9 months ago that I only possessed a "wannabe". Not only that, but when it opened it's first flower back in late winter, I remembered even then that it was only a "wannabe". Guess I've just been in denial! :)

Now, looks like it's showing me for calling it a "wannabe". That inflo keeps hanging on, budding out only then to start dropping the buds. This plant could turn out to be very special and all I'll see is red. (and I'm not talking bloom color!)

Comments (18)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Not this mike, right?

Wannabe or not I bet its a good looking plant.

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, Mike, I'm sorry. It was Kenny. I get you Oklahoma boys mixed up. You weren't the one that broke my heart. :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Awe Mona I hear ya. Remember my fake Daisy? So I totally understand how you feel. Would it make you feel better to get the real thing? Maybe Barbra can find another one for you?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I do remember that, Lynn. Maybe in September Barbra can find one for me. When I saw her other post I immediately emailed her before reading the whole thread and seeing that she will only be able to get 4.

I think the Plumie Gods are testing me! :)

10 years ago

No problem moonie. That's sounds like something Kenny would do. Haha.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mona,

So sorry to disappoint but I know you'd rather find out now than later when it blooms and see how it's different than everyone else's. Last week I actually thought RS is a Thai cultivar (because I saw it on Brad's site last year). I inquired Barbara Randolph and she told me its origin. She said it's not as compact but growth habit should be similar to Mardi Gras.

Brad is having a large Thai RS on sale. I think the color is noticeably lighter than the American RS. I hope you still had a good deal on it last year.

Do you have it blooming in direct sunlight? Maybe give it morning and late afternoon sun to see if it'll bloom for you? Just a thought.

Kenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Brad's Thai Raspberry Sundae

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mona, that is still a seriously beautiful flower, Thai or not. Then when you get your American one you can be the only person here with both :-)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kenny - I'm happy now that it looks like I'm getting the Real Deal. However, I checked out your link and that is why I ended up buying the Thai. As Jen said, it's seriously beautiful!

I had already seen the blooms but it was winter and the blooms were smaller than would be normal. There is still one bud holding on. Almost like it's mocking me! LOL

Jen - Yep, and maybe sooner than you realized!

• ncasselberryfla
    10 years ago

Hi Everybody--tI hought a response was warranted here. Thai Raspberry Sundae is NOT Raspberry Sundae. Over the last several years, I and other sellers have learned to differentiate by adding "Thai" to the front of any Thailand cultivar that was named there that had a similar name to a US or other cultivar. There is also, for example, Thai Rimfire and the US Rimfire; there is Orange Splendour from Mukundan in india, and there is Thai Orange Splendour; there's even a Thai Mango Blush (often mispronounced and spelled by the Thais as Mango "Brush" (well, what can I say?), and there is the US Mango Blush. These are but a handful. Until recently, I thought the naming was clearer to collectors by adding "Thai" since this has been standard practice now for the last 8 years with all the new Thai cvs coming in. We sellers have had many discussions about this over the years on various forums and wanted people to understand that these are Thai cultivars with similar or same names and wanted, for the benefit of the customer, to make the differences obvious by adding it is a Thai version or like named plant. Also, the US Raspberry Sundae is still, as far as I know, a bit uncommon and also quite expensive if you can get one. I am sorry if somehow you feel you were misled, but I labeled as honestly as I always do and did not try to misrepresent this plant as the US named version (which is much prettier, in my opinion). I got this plant from Lopaka aka Robert, who sold it to me a few years back as Thai Raspberry Sundae and I knew it was not the USA namessake. When I ppropagated cuttings for sale, I remembered to add that "Thai" to the name so people would know. That being said, until the Thais start registering their plants in conjunction with PSA there will continue to be mix-ups, but, any honest (and knowledgeable) seller will take care to add the "Thai" to the name if a cv is in fact a Thai plant with a similar name. Another thing to watch for is spelling--Metallica has an "evil twin" in Thailand spelled "Matallica" , however, with this one, a quick glance at the picture and it becomes clear they are quite different. I hope everyone finds this helpful.

Kindest regards,

Brad

10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post that brad. we know you are busy right now so thanks for the time.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I agree ...

Thank you for your reply!!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Brad. Please accept my deepest and most sincere apologies as I never wanted anyone reading this thread to feel as though the plant you offer as Thai Raspberry Sundae is a misrepresentation, or that I felt as though I were misled. Mostly, I was having fun at what I thought was my own expense but did not stop to think about the consequences of the typed words that tapped from beneath my dirty little fingernails. It was never my intention to taint your reputation, and I hope from the bottom of my heart that nobody else thought that was my purpose. Brad, please reread this thread and see that it was a bit tongue in cheek but you are definitely owed an apology.

And now I have to admit to being one of those people that get all caught up in the hype when something we all think is amazing comes along. So after the PSA sale in Texas last year, the talk of the forum was that RS. Honestly, I can't even tell you if I knew when I ordered the Thai RS that it was a different cultivar or not. Because, seriously speaking, I was not joking about having concern for my mind. :)

So, I will no longer refer to Thai RS as the "w" word, nor will I secretly keep wishing that the inflo, that keeps going since February, will keep pushing those tiny little blooms. Yes, the Plumie Gods think they are teaching me a lesson, but I've been having fun with it. I'm just sorry if it was at your, or Lopaka's, expense.

Somewhere I posted a photo of a single tiny Thai RS bloom that Jandey referred to as being "petite". I thought it was in this thread but it's not. I"m trying to think were I might have posted it in case you would want to see, but, ya know, my mind and all! LOL So sorry. :)

All joking aside, please accept my apologies and know that I was not attempting to do you any damage.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Brad!
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Mona, we all have done that at one time or another. No worries.

Brad is a great source for Plumeria and I have been happy with all my purchases. Glad you stopped by to clear things up so all is good!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I think the issue is clearly on the shoulders of some Thailand based growers which are obviously playing on names. Why else would you call something "MATALLICA" unless for social engineering purposes?

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mona,
    I never took your posting as you trying to taint anyone's reputation, nor was it disparaging. When I read it you clearly in the first sentence stated that it was a "THAI Raspeberry Sunday". Basically I took your posting as you made a mistake and bought the wrong one and were venting about the mistake not about BBB. You never complained about Brads service which is awesome, nor did you state the plant was defective in some way that was related to the seller...only that it was a "Wannabe" aka "Thai" version.

Brad is super nice, understanding and intelligent and I doubt he read malice into your posting, but just wanted to clarify the differences in case some people were confused regarding "Thai" varieties and Domestic.

Your a sweetie so I would not worry.

Cheers.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 22:32

• ncasselberryfla
    10 years ago

Hey Mona,

No offense taken. I did just want to clarify things concerning the Thai naming fiasco and was also concerned you might have felt frustrated with the ID of this plant. Anyway, absolutely no harm done and I hope that anything I wrote will be helpful to you and other readers in selecting future cultivars for your collections.

Best to you and Happy Growing! :-)
    Brad

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Great post James...

Mona.. Brad is a super gentleman!!!

Just in his response you can tell.. I have bought many trees from him and he is one of those "sellers" that I trust and will continue to buy from..

Don't feel bad.. We all knew what you meant!!!

I would love to have your tree!!! Congratulations on a great tree especially knowing it came from Lopaka's collection. Quite an honor! ;-)

Smile.. it's all good!!!

Take care,

Laura