Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

painting plastic pots

rox146
10 years ago

i know someone spoke on here a while back about painting the plastic pots....I painted the 1 you see in the background with acrylic because they did not have my cobalt color I like in the rustoleum for plastic. It is in it's 2nd year now and so far so good. SO, now I think I will do all the JJ ones I just got....cannot stand it if the color scheme gets off track... :-) roxanne

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey rox. I have been painting mine for awhile. I have been using krylon fusion but I'm going to try the rustoleum next. I like the blue.

Mike

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I checked out the colors at HD and they just did not have what I needed for plastic. Is Krylon fusion a spray paint? I plan on doing these while trees are in them... roxanne

10 years ago

Yes it is a spray. I was at ace hardware and they had a ton of different colors. I Dont think lowes carries krylon brand paint. Walmart does but ours Dont have a huge selection of colors.

Mike

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I am going to do some tests on my new JJ from Lowes pots on Monday so the color fits into the theme...will let you know...roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh... how interesting! I never thought about painting the pots. Funny my MIL asked today if I was going to put my black pots into something prettier and I said no. I thought plumerias like black pots?

So it's ok to paint them? If so this will be an awesome project for my budding artist to do this summer. :) However, are these paint you all using toxic though? I can only use no VOC or low VOC paint though.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Message deleted.

This post was edited by DelWH on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 0:49

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Pretty much all paints have some toxicity. In California they only sell low VOC ones and in the South Coast they are even more stringent. The problem with those is they don't last as long as paint used to. VOC is only a problem if you are using them indoors. Outdoors, the wind will blow all the VOC's away anyway. Once the paint dries, all the VOC's have evaporated for the most part.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spent 2 hours painting all the new JJ purchases pots cobalt/navy blue today....will post the pix soon...looks soooo much better....roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thank you Del.

Can't wait to see Roxanne! Although I thought plumerias like black pots because it retains heat! Will painting it another color defeats the whole purpose?

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no, cobalt is a dark blue and our deck is HOT! roxanne

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Roxanne,

Neat idea. Does that keep the plants\roots cooler than the traditional black? And have you seen a difference, one way or the other, in terms of how the plant has grown in the painted pots?

I'm not sure if my wife would like cobalt blue any more than plain black :-)

Cheers!
    Dan

10 years ago

wanted to share a few I just painted. These are some citrus trees. I used Krylon fusion. It does scratch somewhat easily but a quick touch up fixes that.

Dan. Painting the pots drops the root zone down an incredible amount.

I have been painting mine after the plant is in it which usually gets paint on the soil at the drain holes. I hadnt yet in this pic but I pull the painted soil out of the holes so it doesnt impede drainage.
    {{gwi:594734}}

mike

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are all the new JJ purchases with their navy blue paint. The 6 on the left are the order I made from him in April. The growth is way behind all the ones I have bought in the last 3 weeks, concerned.

The dark navy color will still keep them hot, just looks better on our deck than the terra cotta color. roxanne