Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Alden Island, Virginia plumeria grove

dpolson37
11 years ago

Thought I'd share a photo of my plumeria grove this year. I can't help thinking of Bill's comment about each one being a VW. I'm gonna need a lot more space. For now though I'm enjoying them and I hope they like their new space. I was inspired to put them on the black cloth after seeing some photos of a nursery that grows them that way.

As for what is growing here are some I can remember.

Aztec Gold

Maya - variegated

Candy Stripe

Dwarf Singapore

Vera Cruz Rose

Guillot Sunset

Intense Tricolor

Som Karasin

Aimhorn

Penang Peach

Lemon Drop

Celadine

JJ Divine

Samoan Fluff
{{gwi:1177299}}From Garden 2012

Happy growing,

Big Wave Dave

Comments (11)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Very nice!! I like the black cloth idea. I have to start thinking about how I'm going to do my garden too. Your plumies all look very healthy and happy. How long have you been collecting?

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue,

Thanks, I've been into plumerias for about 6 years now. Learned a lot and still have lots to learn. Thinking back I started with one cutting from Hawaii in regular Miracle Grow potting soil. It grew very well and flowered the first year. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss because I now baby these trees and might get blooms. I keep playing with different soil mixes and have not arrived at the optimum yet.

My plumeria collection has doubled this year which is insane, but I can't seem to stop. Guess this just takes on a life of it's own. For every beautiful photo posted here I want yet another. I daydream of owning a piece of land in a warm place that I can just plant and come visit once in a while. Would probably kill me knowing I have such a place and not being there all the time. I am starting to populate Aruba with cuttings though. Every year I plant another one that I find being thrown away as the resorts tidy up. Can't wait to see how the one I planted last year has grown.

Have fun planning your garden. Post photos as I'm sure it will evolve.

Big Wave Dave

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I know what you mean because every time I see a beautiful photo I want that plant too! Problem is where I am in CA we just don't get a big yard. So I was just thinking patio all the way up the to edge of my yard leaving room for all my plumies against the fence. So nothing fancy. LOL

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

I agree no clue! We are addicts lol and they enable lol I love it. My family just says oh wow they are so pretty when I know they are thinking ok so its a flower. They humor me so its not to bad :)

Dave very nice! I an just beginning and everytime a picture gets posted, my list gets longer lol

Jackie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,

I just love "Alden Island" it sure is a beautiful place. love the rocks and the pool.... Nice place you have there!!!

The black fabric i also would use in the spring instead of the concrete.. But as the summer heat builds in August, i had to take them off of the fabric. it was too hot. I still have to double the containers in mid AUgist and insulate the middle with mulch to keep the roots from getting to hot. but...they are worth it.

Just wanted to thank you again... thank you for the kind wishes... i love those little beauties.. So nice!!!

Tell Lydia, that i really am thankful for her input too!!

LOL..

Nice pics,,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Dave, I also got my first plumeria cuttings from Hawaii, from Driver's for $1.99. Insturctions said to put the cutting in miracle grow and place on a hot sidewalk. I did what the insturctions said, all my cuttings rooted and grew into large trees. Those were the good ole days. I had no idea plumeria actually had names, I ordered by color, 3 red, pink, yellow and hot pink. I had a red one that had a smaller flower, it had a strong fragance like a honeysuckle, or gardina. You could smell it from across the flowerbed. Barbra

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is where it all began.

For those of you who have been to Hawaii, you'll know the ABC stores. You don't know exactly what you get, but its a plumeria and you can't beat the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Dave, What kind of banana are in the back?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Hey Dave,

If you're ever up in my neck of the woods (Annandale, VA), please let me know and I'll give you a yard tour.

Right now I'm concentrating a bit more on Broad-leaved evergreens for the yard rather than tropicals, because it's a better 'investment' HAH!, but I still have quite a few plumerias.

• pcput
    11 years ago

I like your setup Dave and the plants are looking good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for lots of blooms. Peg

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PHXPLANTADDICT: Those are Musa Basjoo bananas. They do very well in this area. By summers end they will be 15 feet tall which amazes me because I cut them down to about a foot tall for winter. I already see one sending out bananas which seems early. Can't eat them, but there is a part of the trunk that you can eat and an Indian neighbor of mine taught me that last summer. Who knew?

Big Wave Dave

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus