Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

just picked them up

Well Ive got a few new ones while here in Tampa. I got a JJ's thumbalina at Lowes and 3 cuttings from Exotic Plumeria. Celadine, Scott Pratt, and Puu Kahea. I know I paid too much at EP but isn't that what tourist do. LOL. Allens collection there is awesome. I also have a friend here who is going to get me some cuttings from her and her grandmas tree so when I get home ill be busy rooting. WHOO HOO. Ill post some pics when I get home

Take care

mike

Comments (12)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

You lucky dog! Do you have pics? Do you have any idea how many cuttings you will be getting, or the names? I think the Pu'u Kahea is very pretty. Carol suggested Pu'u to me since she is out of the Charlotte Ebert for a few more weeks. I may wait on the CE though. It's really the one I want.

I just recently suggested to my husband we should make a day of it and drive to Florida! Actually, we can make it in a day, just not back. He didn't seem all that thrilled. LOL

Enjoy yourself, get more plumeria! :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No idea what type their trees are but im not picky. They aren't plumeria buffs like us so im sure they are common. Im hoping to go make the cuttings myself. Heck that's why I brought my pruners :). I wish it was one day for me. 20 hours from Tulsa to Tampa.

Mike

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Scott Pratt and Charlotte E are some of the one's I'm interested in, too. They sound wonderful! I picked up a Celadine because everyone here said you can't post here until you have one :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

What, no $160 Kapalua, Mike?! Did you see the legendary orange? Get to smell it? We want details!

Rcantor, I don't have a Celadine yet, but they let me stick around anyway. Probably because I'm an ace enabler. ;)

Moonie, not to confuse things, but BBB does have CE rooted and available now. You can email Brad to ask about size and he's usually good about giving you the skinny before you order. (See how well I just enabled there?)

I've seen Bill's big Pu'u and loved the shape of the tree, so I think Carol steered you right there.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Have pruning shears...will travel.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

LOL @ Kms2's comment! :)

Mike sounds like you're having fun and picking up some good plants! I have the CE and I love mine. Bought it back in April with flowers and still blooming two months later! I adore the flowers and the scent. I am sure you will love it too! Have a great trip!

Original Author
    11 years ago

jandey. Nope didnt blow that much money. we didn't spend a great deal of time looking. Right as we got there it started raining hard Plus we just got off the beach and the kids were tired. I did see confetti which wasn't all that impressive for the money. Allen is a nice guy but kind of quiet.

Kms. I had my pruners with me everywhere we went just in case. Never used them though:(

No clue. Thanks we had a great time here.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

ok so ive read many different opinions on how long to let the cutting sit and dry out but Allen told me just to wait 3-4 days which I did. Im using 50/50 cactus mix/perlite in a bottle with rootone. Did I do this right?
    left to right

Celadine, Puu Kahea, Scott Pratt

mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Mike I love the blue tray the bottles are sitting in. Where do they come from? Also love the DR in the background. Looking good. I'll send happy rooting thoughts your way, Peg

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Peg

those are just 12 cell trays that i got some annuals in a few years ago. I noticed that the bottles fit perfect in them.

here is that DR

mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

You got some great varieties there, I know you'll love them! Good choices!

Peg, good eye on the DR too! - nice looking caudex on that one, lots of potential!

• Kenny
    11 years ago

hi Mike

Great choice with the varieties you picked up. You did it right with the perlite and cactus mix! Now comes the hard part: waiting for them to root. I'd also like to point out that you still have room on that blue tray for more cuttings LOL