Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyhorse

Anyone want to trade seeds?

disneyhorse
10 years ago

I went a little overboard with seeds this spring... Had near-perfect germination rates and ended up with a billion seedlings that I was able to re-home half. So I'm left with (only?) two dozen little guys.

Well, last week I ended up with a momentary lapse of insanity and won an eBay auction... An entire seed pod of "Carnival" from 1-stop-aloha (Matt H.)

I DO want a few little guys, but maybe not all the same kind... Anyone want to trade? I planted half and have about 20 seeds left over... Might trade like five each for five of something different?

The seedlings I've already got going are Waimea, JL Pink Pansy, and Penang Peach so I'd like to avoid those.

Figured I'd throw it out there.

Comments (41)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Nobody wants to trade seeds... If you still have extras I could buy a few from you. :)

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll send you a few... No need to buy

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Disney- I too wondered if anyone was ever going to want to trade - I would gladly pay for some. It would be a first for me ;)

Chuy

• mimalf
    10 years ago

You are too kind! Let me send you the envelope, at least you won't pay for postage.
    Thank you much! Can you message me your address please? :)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I tried to email you but I don't know if the emailing service works here. Are you still having some seeds left?

Mima

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh duh.... Mima I got your email but I replied to the blanket address garden web has. Please email me again but include your address. I can't get messages on my phone browser or something... Newbie maybe... I've got enough for both of you

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are sixteen of them in paper towels started on the 27th by the way, and they've all got inch-long roots and 100% germination rate so I'm guessing you'll have success with them...

• labland
    10 years ago

OK I don't need seeds but as a HUGE Disney lover and even HUGER horse lover I would love to hear your explanation of your user name !

labland aka Jen

Can't ride anymore due to horrid back but train my labs to retrieve ducks instead now.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Jen.... Basically I've worked with the horses at Disneyland for a very long time. I love horses, I love Disneyland... So what could be better? ;)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Done.

Loved the explanation of your user name. :) Same for Jen.

Mima

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I have some Pink Pansy seeds just sprouting. I hope they will be as gorgeous as their parent.

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Any seeds left? wanna trade with cactus seeds?

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are seeds left, message me with your address. The ones I sprouted in paper towels are seven days old now and I put them in their little cups this morning. A few weeks and they'll be moved each to a one gallon pot and join their friends...

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one of my Pink Pansy seedlings, planted on 5/12/13. I love the bright green leaves with red edges its got. We will have to compare blooms in a few years :)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Oh, it's so exciting to see how the seeds are sprouting and then little seedlings are growing! I love it so much!!

So from where they were sprouting you moved them directly in 1-gallon pots, no intermediary quart pots or something smaller. How big should they be to plant them in individual pots? I planted them directly in soil mix, in regular plastic boxes. I made holes in the bottom and that was it.

This is a picture taken yesterday.

Mima

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They look really good! When mine got two real leaves (not just those cotelydons) they go in a gallon pot, that's what fuzzy in HI recommended (who I got my seeds from). Seems adequate and will be a lot longer till I have to disturb them.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

It makes sense to not disturb them for quite a while while they are so fragile.
    Thanks.

Mima

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Disney...

I dont want to trade.. but i will give you some!!

If you want some, i can put you on the list for my pods when they open.. I didnt respond because i really dont need any more seedlings.. MY DH would have more eye bills!!! LOL.. He would have more allergies (eye rolling..) LOL...

Let me know!!

Happy 4th!!

Laura

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Those seedlings look good! What kind of soil do you start them off in ?!

Mark

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't for the life of me figure out where the message thing is on this website? I'm getting emails but cannot reply. Anyone have pointers? Chuy, in the meantime please just email me your address and I'll send some off to you.
    My seedlings and everything are in a one-part perlite to two-parts cactus mix. Not all cactus mixes are created equal I've found... I've bought about three different brands but I'm not sure what I like best. They all seem quick draining... I fertilize all my plants every other week with Epsom salt or miracle gro... But just a little for the seedlings cuz they're only a few inches tall still.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the offer Laura, but I don't need any more seedlings either! I shouldn't have even bought these, but it was so tempting.

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mima, it's tough enough moving them from the sprouting cups I use to the one-gallon pots because the perlite and cactus mix is so loose and crumbly. The seedlings are pretty tough though... I manhandle them and peel their husks and membranes off with my fingernails before planting and they're perfectly happy.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I started them in the same soil mix as you, disneyhorse. How long does it usually take until they are ready to be transferred into the pots (when they have 2 real leaves)? Now I am thinking that maybe I should have used more soil mix, it seems not deep enough for them to grow a healthy little root.

Mima

This post was edited by SagoLover on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 2:24

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Will do Disney! :)

Chuy

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it took three weeks to get leaves, but it depended on the cultivar. Pink pansy, for me, were pretty vigorous. For some reason Penang Peach were slow to germinate and leaf out, but they've caught up now for the most part.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Interesting. Now I have to see how are mine going to act :D

Mima

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I've got some addresses to send them to now... All spoken for. I'll try to mail them today or tomorrow...

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Thank you in advance, disneyhorse! (Sorry, don't know your name :))

Mima

• Quaching
    10 years ago

Ok so I found a really cool way to grow plumeria seeds. I was searching the net and found a guy that grows his seeds in a different method than I have seen before. Basically he purchased some craft foam and made little slits in the foam. He had a bowl full of water and cut the foam in a circle to fit inside the bowl so it will float. He put about 30 seeds in the slits of the foam with the fat part of the seeds down in the water and the wing up. He placed the foam (with seeds in slits) into the water and left it there for about 6 days and all the seeds sprouted. Once the seeds sprouted he removed the seeds and planted them into soil. Has anyone else tried this method?

I will post a pic also....

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse, I got the seeds today with the mail! Thank you so,so much!! They are Carnival or a different type?
    I noticed how long their wing is compared to the ones we've planted last month. And a very light color. The others were almost all darker and their wings shorter.

Thank you so much! I will keep you posted when they will sprout and further. :)

Mima

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are this, "Carnival" from Matt H. In HI. Mine are all sprouted, so good luck with them.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Oh, it looks so pretty! I can't wait to plant mine too! How's the smell like?

Did you use the damp/wet paper towel first?

Mima

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what the smell is like, the description was vague.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

ok..... received mine in the mail disney!! wish me luck! it's my very first time :)

chuy

• disneyhorse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck! I've got a huge double seed pod on my noid that I'll give away more when it opens... But it's been there for eight months so who knows when...

• pcput
    10 years ago

Quaching, I've used the floating peanuts method to start seeds. Got real good germination. I floated them in the seed starter cells and then planted them in them. Peg

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Peg, never seen that fine before!! I have about 3 seeds I need to sow. Wondering if I should try it. Do u mist? Is the tray of water warm??

Chuy

• pcput
    10 years ago

Chuy, The seeds are in the peanuts floating in the water-no need to mist. The plastic containers(my grandkid's lunchables) are put on a heat mat under lights. Once they have roots sticking out I take them out of the starter cells/peanuts and fill cells with soil and plant. I don't put them back in the water containers. The cells hold 9 so for 3 seeds you might want to cut the cells a part in rows and find something smaller to put the water in. I put masking tape on the outside of the cells to mark the kind of seed and then plant them in the same cell. Peg

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Peg for explaining!! ;)

Chuy

• townsendsug
    8 years ago

I dont have many variaties of plumeria. Mainly slaughter pink. The other ones i have are two small and havent even flowered much less had a seed pod. I really like the carnival plumeria and would pay for some seeds but i thought the seeds are not necessarily the same plant color. Willing to try them though

• meannmrb
    8 years ago

How do you get seeds? I've never heard about seedlings but would love to try this method! Detailed instructions please. Thank you!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County