Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting/Cutting Help

Posted by NicholasH TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 20:53

Just got these cuttings from a friend who is an expert in growing plumerias. He told me to putt them by the window sill (no full sunlight), on a towel (not touching each other or the window sill), and to dip them in rooting hormone and let them sit for 2 weeks. I watch "TheLuckyBambooExpert" videos on Youtube and he says to let them sit for 2 weeks then apply the rooting hormone when planting. Did I make a mistake or am I fine?

Thanks, Nicholas H.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting/Cutting Help

Hi NicholasH,

If it was me I would cut off the leaves and pot them up and put them in the sun, no more then 6 hours a day and water well the first time and then don't water but mist now and then and in a couple of months you should have leaves and roots. The only reason why I would not wait because the later you start the less change that they will root before winter. Some cuttings can take up to 6 months to root but I find that with more heat they seem to root better. Good luck, Barb

o

The easiest way to propagate cuttings for the home gardener is to dip the cuttings in a rooting hormone and then stick the cuttings in a 5-6' pot with a good light, damp growing media. Then place the pot and cuttings into a gallon Ziploc bag, seal it and place it in a shady location. Check the bag weekly. If there droplets of water on the inside surface your OK. if no droplets mist the inside . You should have some roots forming in 5-6 wks.
Now that is the easy way and it works.
Hans

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

o

Nicholas, it really does not matter when the rooting hormone is applied, some people don't even use any.

I would let them callus at least a week (dry the cut end), in my experience it increases my chances of not rotting them, check from time to time to make sure it stays hard/dry, not squishy. Don't squeeze too hard, just a light check.

Yes, you can cut more of the leaves, leaving only 1,2 small ones at the very end.

After the cut end has dried completely, and it's firm to touch, let us know and we'll help you pot them up. http://www.plumeria101.com/cuttings101.html

Please know that just as there are many ways to skin the cat :), different people have different ways of getting their cuttings calloused and then rooted. Some baby them more than others, some just stick them in the ground and hope for the best and they still grow. It does matter where you are located, your microclimate, the quality of the cuttings, etc.

This post was edited by Alisarom on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 12:35

o

Thank you guys for the responses. I will let y'all know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here