Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

It's dead ... right?

I just dug up the large (well, it used to be) Calif Sally that was planted in our raised bed. It has had a really hard time the past couple of winters, and after this past winter, I had to cut it almost to the ground. I finally decided to dig it up and move it (or put it back in a pot), but when I did, this is what I found.

There were a few roots in the dirt, but not even close to what I expected to see. The bark was split and peeling at the bottom of the tree, just under where it was in the dirt. When I cut the branches a couple months ago, though, they oozed latex. I didn't try cutting them again today.

So, this guy (gal?) is dead most likely, right? Looking at these pictures, can you guys see anything that I could have done differently with this plant to help it? I am planning on planting a large Celadine in the same spot, but if I need to amend the soil, or rework the irrigation (just a bubbler spout) - I'd appreciate any advice. There is a Guillot's Sunset planted next to where this plant was that is doing totally fine.

Thanks hugely in advance for any thoughts or words of wisdom - I don't know what I'd do without the "plumeria braintrust" that exists on this message board!

Comments (10)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

well if the top part still has white sap and looks healthy you may be able to re root it. Can't hurt to try.

Mike

• DelWH
    10 years ago

You should be able to do 2 center cuts with this if there is latex right at the V. If you seal the tops with LET, it can stimulate new branches. I have a center cut about 8 inches long that has 5 branches sprouting. It's worth a try.

This isn't a great pic but you can see the branches starting here.

This post was edited by DelWH on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 0:25

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

You should be able to re-root those tips as they look fine.

Was all of the dark rotten part buried in the soil??? If so, that was too deep IMO.

Tony

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'll attempt the center cuts. What is LET?

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tony,

Yes, most of the dark area was under the soil (I also just washed it with water to get the dirt off so I could see what was going on - which is why it's really dark.) When I planted the Plumeria originally, I just cut away the nursery pot and planted it, so that's how deep it was planted in the original pot, I guess - it never occurred to me to check that.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

LET is Liquid Electrical Tape. You can get it at Home Depot. Comes in different colors, you just brush it on and it seals the top. That's the black stuff you see at the top. There's anecdotal evidence that something in it stimulates branch growth. I have a C Stars plant that black tipped this winter. I cut off the top and sealed it with LET and it is also sprouting 5 side branches now.

• Desirai
    10 years ago

I am brand new to plumerias but if that were mine I would DEFINITELY try to reroot the top parts! the best thing about plants is that they have a will to survive!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I got a single maybe 6" center cutting that was free of rot. I don't have a lot of hope, but you never know. One of my other potted plumies (C-Stars Cancun Dreams) had to be cut back so much I thought for sure it would die, but now it looks like this:

I have since planted a big Celadine in the spot where the Cal Sal was. I used a different soil mix to amend the area (drainage was already okay, and I dug up a huge section of the bed to do it, so no "bowl of water" here, I hope). I amended with gypsum and steer manure at the bottom, then mixed some original soil with Big R (finally found it locally in Covina!), a little more manure, perlite, and pumice. I brushed the dirt off the trunk some as well, and planted it slightly higher than the bed, and watered with B1 and Superthrive. Here are some pix!

Guillot's Sunset on the left, Celadine on the right

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

With those tips being short, I would be tempted to callus them in mulch as George has instructed works very well for callusing, especially small cuttings. You can use the search function on this forum for posts by Citizen_Insane.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Moonie. Ever since I read George's post about mulch, I've been using it with great results! So, as soon as I took the small cutting, I immediately buried it in a container of mulch, since it can't afford any "shrinkage." I don't have a lot of hope for this particular cutting, but you never know. If it lives, maybe I should play the lotto. LOL

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz