Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First lei of 2010

Posted by plumeriafl 9b Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 21:03

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thought I would share this lei that I made this for my mother in law on the occasion of her 40th wedding anniversary, which was today.

The only sewing needle I could find in the house was much too short for the job, but I managed to make it work by using needle nose pliers to pull the tip through the flower each time. Next time I'll be better prepared.

I find it so rewarding to have enough flowers to make a lei...sort of a threshold you hope every plumeria enthusiast will be able to cross.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First lei of 2010

Beautiful!!! Nice job. What part of FL do you live in?

o

Thanks irun5k... Vero Beach.

o

Show off!!! Officially jealous here...sigh

o

Beautiful!

o

You're killin' me. If I'm lucky, I'll get that many flowers ALL SEASON!

o

believe it or not I made this lei using flowers picked from just 3 inflos on one tree. I used just 50 flowers. Miami pink gives me big inflos, so after picking, there were still a lot of flower buds on those 3 inflos and today some are newly opened on those same inflos that I just "picked clean."

I think this is within reach of many of you if you stick with it a few years, although I must say I am lucky to be able to keep my plants in the ground year round here in Florida.

o

It's beautiful. How long will it last?

Dave I was thinking the same thing. lol

o

Thanks. On a warm day a lei will only lasts about 3 hours or so until it starts to wilt pretty badly. If you need to make a lei ahead of time, you can keep it in the fridge for quite a while though..not sure exactly how long. I think Jim Little's book might have some info on that.

o

pick fresh flowers, soak for several hours in cool water, string (I prefer stretchy thread and use a lei needle) place in a plastic bag and blow into it and rubber band. Store overnight in the fridge. Good flowers (celadine, mele pa bowman, lei rainbow, etc, will last about three days if you refrigerate each evening, More flexible flowers fade within a day to a day and a half.

o

Very nice lei!

o

Thanks for the tips tdogdad. Great advice, as always.
By the way, for those interested, I found a pretty good instructional page on making leis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lei Making from Plumeria 101

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here