Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Penang Peach puts on a show Plus two 1st blooms

the_first_kms2
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
Here is Penang Peach. A consistent performer for me. I bought it as a cutting at Dole Plantation in 2009. It has bloomed every year since 2010. Last year its late season inflos bloomed through Christmas. Its a must have.

First blooms on Loretta. I bought it last year at the Ft. Bend PSA sale. I forget the specific seller. It kind of has a spicy, maybe Big Red gum scent.
{{gwi:1177878}}

Dwarf Orange first flower. I bought this at last year's Clear Lake PSA sale. This should be a nice inflo in a week or so.
{{gwi:1177879}}

Comments (19)

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Our local nursery has Loretta, I`m going to have to go get one now.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

K the cutting you gave me in March, of penang peach, is rooted and sending out inflos. Unbelievable! Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I still think Penang Peach has some of the best foliage I've ever seen, not to mention great blooms.

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

Penang Peach is probably the best overall plumeria. It really has it all!

• jwhite2947
    10 years ago

The plants are beautiful. Can you tell me the size of the pot your Penang Peach is in please?

Joan

This post was edited by jwhite2947 on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:19

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Magnificent! Everything is gorgeous. Wow I can't wait for my Penang Peach to grow up. Glad I decided to keep her. :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a great plant. Barbra Glad your cutting is taking off.

Joan, its in a 20 gallon pot right now and has been for going on three years. I'll be root pruning and up potting next March into a 25 gallon pot. That seems to be the biggest I can carry. After that I should have a spot to plant in ground.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi K,

You sure have a beauty on your hands...
    Penang Peach is a must have in anyone's collection.

I only have one blooming right now and of course it is my " Psycho". She is one that always keeps me on my toes. Hoping you will have success....

My ETLD will be next to open.. Then Kapalua.. ;-). YEA!

Thank you for all of the eye candy!!! Now, I'm thinking of heading outside with the flashlight and doing a walk thru and check on my " babies..."

The slugs are a pain right now, but I'm on them...

Glad to see all is growing well for you!!!

I bet the girls are helping out in the garden too? They are so precious...

Have a great summer and I hope to see more of your garden!

Take care,

Laura

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi KMS2, are you sure what you bought is Loretta? Here is my Loretta, it looks completely different.

That Penang Peach tree is very nice.

George

• rox146
    10 years ago

Laura...give the slugs some beer! Works really well. roxanne

• elucas101
    10 years ago

K - beautiful blooms!!! I can't wait for my Penang to bloom, love it! I love my Loretta too - I rooted it last year, it bloomed profusely and branched into 3 for me, and now its pushing an inflo to bloom again!

I got mine as a generous gift from Gabby - here's mine last year:

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George,
    It does seem a bit light. I am 100% certain I bought it at the PSA Ft Bend Sale from a PSA vendor which IMO has a lot of value.

It shares some general flower characteristics and has a grainy look. It is a part shade location and weather hadn't been as hot as usual the week before. So with that being said and it being the first time this rooted cutting has bloomed I think it will true up similar to yours and E's (BTW E, great job. I also have that Lei Rainbow rooted and ready to go for you.).

Hi Laura,
    The girls and I are having fun picking flowers. I'll be looking for pictures of your Kapalua.

Rox,
    I drank all of Laura's beer and took the boat keys :)

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Just added a Penang Peach to my WL. love all the photos.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Kapalua is top on my list...would love to see some photos and smell description. roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi K,

Yes... You did take all of the "cold beer". Lol!!! Just send the keys please? We haven' t started the boat since... ;-). If you send beer for the slugs, you better buy a brewery!!!

Rox... I have heard about putting out beer for the slugs, but I'm wondering how much I would have to put out? I think I could buy some really nice rooted cutting instead of spending on PBR. Lol! I have them lining my deck above and below, so it would have to be in bowls or beer trough 's everywhere. I once outlined the containers with Epsom salt and it worked well until it rained and it finally started to wash away. Those little critters are some nasty little buggers. I wil pick them off as I am telling them what I think of them, just so the neighbors will hear.. ( only kidding..) and then I will toss them or... Lets just say, they won't be returning. ;-)

So, if K wants to donate the beer, we can have a party as we line the decks with beer. Take the boat out for " sea trials.." Catch dinner and have a good time!! Maybe even have chocolate covered strawberries for dessert! I'll even make them myself!!! Gotta love chocolate!! ;-)

Love those pics, K.. Hopefully I Will have some pics to share soon. I'm also in the process of rooting a cutting of a Kapalua and I think it is deciding it wants to stick around here in VB. MY tree is doing great thanks to my great friends... :). This cutting from what I understand ( Kapalua) is very difficult to root, so I am really working hard to make this one work. It means so much to me!!! Merci Beaucoup!!!

Thanks for the great pics, K... Glad to hear the girls and family are doing well!!

Send info if you are ready to help with the keg roll on the deck!! Lol!!!

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 11:04

• DelWH
    10 years ago

The easiest way is to put some small containers, like empty yogurt containers, in the ground, with the lip at ground level, and put an inch or two of beer in them. The slugs crawl in and drown.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Del, do you think that would work for grasshoppers? Jk! I keep seeing leaf and flower damage from the occasional hopper or katydid-kinda thing. Not too many but enough to aggravate me.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I've been lucky on the plumies, but I have a second year dwarf nectarine that I kept noticing the tips of the branches dying, having been chewed through an inch or so below the tip. Finally yesterday found one of those tiny green grasshoppers on one. Mystery solved, but no idea how to keep that from happening.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Love your Penang K. just gorgeous!

Mike

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm