Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

cutting sunburned? maybe

This is my new Pu'u Kahea. I've had it home from Florida for a week. I knew they wouldn't be used to our brutal heat and sun so I put toilet paper rolls from bottom to top so I know the sun didn't hit it. They are under a shade cloth that blocks the mid day sun now. Im not giving up yet but is there still hope. We have had 6 straight days of about 105f and next weeks looks the same.

Mike

Comments (18)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mike - I can't help you but I'm wishing for the best! Pu'u Kahea is a beauty.

I'm also having a few cutting problems. Kimo has 2 tips, one of which feels to be somewhat soft and wrinkly. And Penang Peach with 3 tips, two of which feel soft and look wrinkly. It makes me wonder if they are needing water. I'm very worried, as I am sure you are for your Pu'u!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie. I hope yours makes it. Here is a different angle. If this one doesn't make it im going to replace it with a rooted one from brads

Mike

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Mike,
    I say don't give up on it.
    Give it the same care as the others you have, just keep a watchful eye on it.
    The stalk looks mostly green and the tip looks good too.
    Keep it shaded and warm and wait patiently.

Stuart

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Mike, I had a Kauka Wilder that got burnt quite badly, when you squeeze it what happens? With my KW I would squeeze it and it was squishy and the white sap would appear... sad to report it didn't make it. :o( Simultaneously my MPG myster got sunburnt on one side only and didn't have the same symptoms. I didn't have TP rolls on them, so I put a roll on it, and kept it out of the sun and you can see how well it is doing in other threads.

Do you have a heat mat that would allow it to stay inside at a window, give it a little break? It may be past saving, but I don't think you can keep it outside in that heat any longer. Shocking that it was covered in TP rolls yet that still happened!! Not fair when you do everything right.

Good Luck,

Wendy

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Stuart, Wendy. The spot is firm not squishy. I have a heat mat and south window I could use or even my greenhouse but it gets so stinking hot in there.

Mike

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Please keep the air circulating!!! No Stagnate Heat!!!
    Airflow is important,
    Especially temps you've got.
    Stu

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Mike,
    If your PK is firm then I would not worry about it. The time you really need to worry is when it turns black and squishy. I had a really badly burnt University Hawaii Orange that looked like that. Once the cutting rooted the damaged area looked like it was scabbed over and then cracked. After a while the cracked external husk flaked/broke off. It took a while but eventually it looked ok in the area. My Plumie got burnt because I was water rooting it in a clear glass jar that was placed in a west facing window. The Glass of the window and the jar acted like a magnifying glass and caused the burns. People who also use stones around their plumie trunks that live in a hot climate run the risk of burning their plumies from the heat of the rocks/gravel.

Cheers Good Luck.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Mike,

ALl of the advise is good advise...

I would try and keep as much bottom heat on the cuttings and keep them from the direct sun. Especailly in this heat.. they will burn. Do you ahve a table outside that you can put them under while they are on the concrete? or on the side of the house under some trees.. then you could place black fabric down and let themm sit on that. Mist them too! I will say that i did use an unbrealla to keep the sun off of mine when i first started my cuttings. this helped with the heat of the sun as well as the afternoon rain. But they still recieved the bottom heat...

Take Care.. Keep us posted..

Hope that helps...

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

FWIW, Mike, my opinion is if the growth tip and part of the stem is still green, it should make it. Just don't let it burn all the way around like mine did.

I had to cut the center out of this one:

Top is now in rainwater in a east window while the bottom is completely covered and in semi-shade back in its water bottle.

Good luck with Pu'u Kahea!

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

The heat we've been having is brutal! I have a rooted cutting that got sunburned a few inches above the roots. It was all my fault...when I received it, I left it out for some morning sun while I prepare the mix for potting. By the afternoon hours it had already taken some damage (the plastic bag covering the roots was the source). It looks like Jen's cutting above but the burned part is just above the roots. I'm hoping it will soon crack and new roots will develop from the top part of the cutting.

Now I just keep the cuttings where they can get in morning and late afternoon sun. Same with the rest of my rooted plumeria. Hopefully your Puu Kahea will recover from the ordeal. Good luck with your new cuttings!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much. I have them in a spot that has shade cloth directly above them and filtered sun in the afternoon. May the plumeria gods be with it, Haha.

Stay cool everyone
    Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

well this is what I came up with. took this at high noon. Hope it works out

Mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I'm really sorry to see that Mike. :( But I agree, I think it can be saved. Watch out for those plastic water bottles, especially with your brutal heat - I know a lot of people love using them but sometimes I think they are too reflective and almost work like a magnifying glass when the sun hits at certain angles. Of course, it could be just the way the sun hit that particular sensitive area, but the bottles can be dangerous sometimes too.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I lost the Puu. It rotted from the burn down. The tip is all thats left. Im thinking of ordering a rooted one from brad. Would anyone consider it a must have. I was thinking about vera cruz instead.

Mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Mike! That's a tough one between VCR and PK. VCR will get very tall and PK not so much; Pu'u seems to be a better brancher.

I should have some Pu'u blooms to post photos of soon (in about half an "ohcomeonalready"), so you can see what our heat produces. This will be from an inflo on a young rooted plant, maybe two years old and about 14" tall.

Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL!! "Half an ohcomeonalready" that's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. Look forward to a picture.

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Dang, Mike. I'm so sorry.
    Not sure if it's a must-have since that would be a personal preference but I get conflicting stories on the flower appearance and the scent. Some say there is very little scent, others say it has a good sweet scent. I've also heard the flowers can be a bit scraggly looking.
    Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Moonie

The good news is the Scott pratt is pushing out some leaves. I cant see roots yet but that has to be a good sign right. Celadine isnt doing much but isnt getting soft either. It has only been 4 weeks and a few days so hopefully soon it will do something.

mike

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH