Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_maryland

The Big Key West West Cuttings Are Akive

mike_in_maryland
9 years ago

Back in late February I received some pretty big cuttings from a wonderful lady in Key West. One is now showing nice leaf growth and the others have significant "fangs" pushing out so all is well. New to plumeria my first was purchased in Hawaii last August, seemed to do well for the remainder of the growing season last year, and now has very nice leaf growth. Only about 12" tall, but seems happy. I'm not sure why, maybe from "Grow Hawaii", but my first one I planted in a 50/50 mixture of Palm-Cactus soil and Perlite. With one of my new plants ready to transplant this coming weekend, I did some research on this great forum and was checking for what seems to be the preference; gritty mix. With great advice from everyone on care of container plumies, here's my question...I'm not sure of putting the new root ball in a 32 oz. medium of Palm-Cactus/Perlite directly into the new gritty mix? My real fear is if I knock off all of the old mix, will I damage the new roots transplanting?

Bill, the Dr. Earth 4-10-7 seems to be working really well; many thanks for the recommendation. I know you mentioned a bit more expensive than others, but I purchased a couple of 4 lb. boxes off the web for almost next to nothing.

Best to all,

Mike

Comments (11)

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Doh! Need spell check. I mean "Alive"

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Doh! Need spell check. I mean "Alive"

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Mike,

I would just pot up the one from Last year that you think needs a larger container . That would mean that I would keep it in the same type of mix and not disturb the rootball. Just buy a larger container.

That would be my best opinion!! The others are still to young to do any repotting.

If you repotted Into the Gritty mix, them you would have to remove the old soil . This tree is so young and I would keep it from as
    Much shock as possible. I'm not worried about removing the soil and transferring to the gritty, but it is hot now here on the east coast and the tree is really just getting going. Keep it settled.

Hope this helps.. I love the gritty Mix, but if the tree is doing well and is ready to just pot up.. I would stay with the same mix.

Laura.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Yeah, I would just use potting mix + lots of perlite. If you are able to find the 'large' size perlite (very rare), that would even be better!

I found it one year at a local nursery. But it was gone the next season.

Anyway, pot up things carefully now, trying very hard not to disturb the rootball or breaking off those delicate new roots. Just pot up to a larger pot. This time of year, depending on the vigor of the root system, you can probably go to a much larger pot. It will be filled with roots by season's end.

I don't use gritty mix because I don't have the time to screen, or access to the necessary materials.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Mike,
    I agree with the advice above about the roots. I would keep with your current materials at least through this current growing season and then consider making changes during the off season based on others in your regional climate.

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See, I'm still the very newbie. My original plant from last August, I rooted in a one gallon pot. Seems very happy (attached). The bigger cuttings from Key West this winter are being rooted in clear cups and containers. They have been outside for about the past 2-3 weeks, but with a lot of rain predicted this week, I put them in a SW facing window in the garage. So the recommendation is keep the four larger cuttings in the existing clear containers in the 5 gallon bucket until later in the year? Thanks to all for the advice.

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the four newer cuttings in the garage.

9 years ago

That tree in the picture looks very happy... I would leave it alone. It's happy!!

Those cuttings, are they rooted? Those need bottom heat. I don't see any leaves indicating rooting has begun. I would place them outside so they get bottom heat, but protect them from getting soaked from the rain. Can you find a place under a protected area? Let them get some bottom heat so they can root. If they have rooted, then I would wait until i see leaves and a healthy root system in the cups before I pot up.

Hope this helps !!

Laura

• mike_in_maryland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, little difficult to tell from the other photo, but here is a better one showing the one plant putting out some nice leaf growth with a lot of surrounding leaves ready to pop as well. This is the one I'm thinking is ready to be re-potted, fed, and put outside for a bit of sunshine and rain. For clarity, it's the plant with the three branches farthest to the right.

Best,

Mike

9 years ago

It's on it's way, Mike!!

I would still wait to repot and even fertilize.. That's my opinion. Let it get longer leaves and a better root system, if you move it now ( repot) the fragile roots may break. It's doing well, it will probably do better outside in the heat of the day protected from the rain..

Looking good though!! Any activity is good!! ;-)

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Yeah, those four cuttings in the bucket. Do nothing with them until leaves are at least 6 inches long on all tips. Look for roots showing thru the plastic of the container (carefully -- don't jostle the plant).

If you do see any root activity, you may water that one just a bit. When the cup has a LOT of roots, then you can consider potting up. Carefully cut off the cup -- I like to do it underwater in a large tub. That way the soil just floats away from the delicate roots.