Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Give Away Pink Puts on a Show

the_first_kms2
10 years ago

Here is an unknown that I have had for quite a few years. I believe I bought it from a Nursery on the Big Island or Walmart. Your guess is as good as mine. I call it Give Away Pink because its an easy rooter, blooms well, takes being wet, dry, cold, and everything in between and is a beginners dream. I took this one to my mothers and planted on a southeast hillside. it seems to like it there.

I only had my cell phone camera to use so I hope it does it justice.

Here it was in April
{{gwi:1178158}}

Comments (18)

• rox146
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!!! What a keeper....roxanne

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Jinkies, Batman!! so pretty.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! It looks so good! :)

Mark

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

K, those blooms look hugh, where is this plant located? Was it kept outside during the winter, it looks great. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Geez, that's beautiful! Who needs a name when you look that good?

It's nice that you have additional yards in which to plant more plumies, LOL!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Gotta love it. It's firing on all cylinders.

That's as beautiful a pink as any named cultivar I've seen. It actually may have had a name and it got lost over the many years. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for posting!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It may have a name but as best as I can remember it was just labeled a "Pink." At the time I really wasn't interested/aware of named varieties. There is a second plant just to the right of this one. Its about a week behind. Every time I have pruned or had a break I rooted the branches and soon found myself with about a dozen of them. I have since given away the small ones and loaned the large ones out of which some have to be in excess of 12 years old.

Barbra, it was in a container inside my mother's extra garage over the winter months. I root pruned it and planted on the hillside in April. Its has a traditional Plumeria fragrance which is very strong. It Seeds well and just is a great plant. Last year I had this one in my front yard behind some Plumbago and Lantana.

This post was edited by kms2 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 14:55

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Okay, well now I know about the scent I REALLY hope mine roots!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will root for you. Forgot to add that the flowers are about 3.5 inches in diameter, long lasting, and fade to light pink as they age. Here is another one that looks great with the blue sky.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous, K!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Are you kidding me? That's simply divine! She's totally putting on a show. Wowza! I love it!

• pcput
    10 years ago

What a beauty K ! I think it needs a nicer name, or maybe it's trying to prove to you it's a "keeper" not a "give a way pink" :) Peg

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous blooms!
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Well, if you're giving it away! :-) Keep me in mind if you have another break!

Is it growing in the ground year-round? Imagine when that thing gets really big!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Peg, its Give Away Pink because I have at least 4 other ones the same size as these two. Its really a great plant for beginners considering the growth habits, flowers, fragrance, and ease of maintenance.

Dave, I'll make the call on keeping it in ground through winter at about Thanksgiving. Its exposure is southern but wind can be a problem with frost blankets on the hillside. Average winter temps are lows in the upper 30s and highs in the low 60s and generally dry. It has survived outside in previous winters.

I'll message you if I have any breaks which can be mailed.

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Nice! Good to hear a success story with a souvenir cutting.

I'm rooting a Hawaii walmart red and also a pink right now. As I think about it, these cuttings must have some decent qualities since they are grown for commercial propagation. e.g. easy rooters, good growth habit, etc. Looking at the leaf scars on the cuttings I bought, I'd say they they come from healthy trees. Plus you can't go wrong for $6.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Okay, K, I snipped off the inflo from the one-tip because it's getting so dehydrated with no leaves yet. The larger cutting is still also not clawing and very dehydrated. And I was doing so well this year for rooting cuttings! Those two are the only ones so far not leafing out.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

K,
    Very pretty, loving the size and shape of the tree also..
    Thanks for the show

Cheers

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES