Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

My Valentine

rox146
10 years ago

Matthew at Island Plumeria recommended this to me last season...got it in March....LOVE the shape/quality/smell.....roxanne

Comments (21)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Nice one

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

you should smell her....

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

She is the only white plumeria I am planning on keeping. Only because of her smell, and size, I need smaller plants in the front of my flowerbed. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Can you describe her scent?

Thank you!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Must resist reading about awesome smelling plumies! Ugh!

Congrats on your beautiful blooms.

I've also read that My Valentine smells awesome.

-Robert

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

going out to check the scent now with my fragrance list...of course, different noses smell different things.... roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay...to me...it is fruity carnation. It is 7 in the morning, sun hitting it and it smells great all day! roxanne

10 years ago

Thanks for the scent description, Roxanne!
    It is sooo difficult describing scents to people.
    So many folks on the fragrant forum ask me all the time for such things. ;)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Robert,

Mine is pushing an inflo so hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to smell mine. :)

I have an overly sensitive nose, a blessing and a curse. BUT there were times where I couldn't smell anything on a plumeria such as JJ's Napoli. Oh she has the most beautiful bloom... where all flowers bloom at the same time. But yet I detected no scent! Same Desert Sunrise and Hurricane.

So I am anxious to see how she will smell to me.

10 years ago

Yay for inflos! :)
    Looking forward to your scent description of My Valentine, Lynn!

-Robert

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Very nice! We appreciate your diligent scent descriptions!

MV is one of the first I bought (supposedly--I still haven't seen a bloom yet to verify) for the contrasting colors, size and scent. I think I may have seen some crowning this morning so maybe she'll finally bloom. Lord knows she's been threatened enough for the past three years, lol.

• spiroan
    10 years ago

This has been one of my favorites since seeing it online, I think at Florida Colors, last year. Such a fresh-looking and pretty bloom. Thanks for sharing.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

It does smell great, but like you, I have a terrible time describing smells. Saw it in bloom at a nursery but resisted.

Unscented Kleenex have a smell, finally figured out to buy fragrance-free products.
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Ok... if my memory serves me right, I do like My Valentine's fragrance. Although I can't recall the specifics I just remember feeling like I have to have it. I first saw her at Marilynn's Garden last summer and it was love at the first sight. Her tree was in a pot at least 10-12 feet tall. It was one of her many trees from her personal collection, thus not for sale. Not that I could lug home a 12 footer... :)

The color (soft but eye catching), the size (HUGE flowers) and the awesome fragrance. I found a source to buy it from but turned out he just wanted to get me there and actually didn't have the plant! To this day I'm not sure he's trust worthy. This is the same dude who sold me Wildfire (grafted but didn't tell me, newbie and I didn't know), which I'm thinking now is NOT the real thing. Unfortunately I bough quite a few plants from him. Besides the WF none have bloomed yet so I can't verify them. Anyway I have digressed...

I ended up buying mine from Matthew from Island Plumeria, who I highly recommended. He actually had a blooming one last summer but SimiDude beat me to it. But it looks like I will be seeing some blooms this summer! I will report the scent in a few weeks.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last time I was at Island Plumeria a few months ago, Matthew had quite a few My Valentines left.

I am curious, I bought one of Marilyns blue ribbon plumerias back in '03 at Rogers Gardens...would LOVE to know the name...does she have a website? I cannot find one for her. roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Marilynn is a lovely lady. I should call her to see how she is doing. She was so kind to show me her personal collection. So many beauties so large!

Here is here website.

http://marilynnsgarden.com/ Now you got me curious to find out what you bought from her way back then. :)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Such a beaut!!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the most gorgeous clear bright pink which never fades and smells great! Last year, 1 info easily had over 75 blooms on it... roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is an update photo of My Valentine with Marmalade in the background. They both last a long time and smell like heaven...too bad they are on the lower section of the deck I have to crawl down to. roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ugh, that's so pretty now I'm really mad. My supposed My Valentine finally bloomed this week and it's not. It's some pink with a dark pink stripe, so from the bud it looked like it could be MV.

This plant was a replacement from the seller for the MV that broke right at the rootball during shipping. I have a feeling it's something like Andaman, which I also ordered and hasn't bloomed yet. But the two plants don't have the same leaves, so I have no idea what I got. Grrrr.

Now I have to try to hunt down an actual My Valentine based on Rox's pix and scent description!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got mine from Island Plumeria...Matthew...great guy. It was in a 5 gallon and 4 tipped and 1 inflo for $45....yup...$45....he is soooo reasonable....worth a trip to Ca.? roxanne

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!