Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

What is going on?

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

I planted most of my plumeria in the ground this year. Every plant is doing great, except for two. Leona Hoke had to be cut down because of black spot, but is doing great now and has new leaves. My problem is Makaha Sunn, it has 3 tips all are hard but look black, and is the only plumera that has no leaves. I can't figure why? I guess I will just have to wait and see. My favorite plumera is of course Luc's Magnum Opus, It is just amazing. Carol re named it after Luc died, this plant has everything. If you only own one plumeria this is the one you want. Barbra

Comments (8)

• DelWH
    10 years ago
  • jandey1
    10 years ago

Yeah, Makaha Sunn is notorious for black tip, unfortunately. My two look good, but the very tips of several new leaves are going black. I think it's the cooler, damp mornings they don't like.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

cooler mornings shouldn`t be a problem for the next 5 months or so. Summer has arrived. Tex is bringing some of both for the sale. I shall scratch them off my list.
    Good luck with them.
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Barbra
    can you post any pictures?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K we are not going down this weekend, but I can take a picture next week when we go down. I am hoping that it will just send out new tips. This happended to my Leona Hoke, one tip I had to cut off due to black tip, but the other tip, started to send out new tips, underneath the black. I am hoping this plant will do the same. Last year the Makaha Sunn bloomed beautiful, it had no problems. I think I might have to move it to full sun. Right now it is getting some shade from a hardy hibiscus in the afternoon. Tex told me that Waimea and Lurine were the only plants that give him problems with black tip .He did not have any problems with Leona Hoke, in fact he told me it was one of his favorite plumeria. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary has a friend flying in from Colorado on Tuesday, so he wanted to go down and make sure everything would be ready so we could take him to the coast on Wednesday. I was not going, but thanks to vicodin, I went along for the ride. I wanted to check on Makaha Sunn. We got there yesterday, there are 4 tips on this plant and I cut all 4 back, then sprayed peroxide . Only one tip was soft, but I did not want to take any chances, I noticed that Leona Hoke, where I cut the one tip, it is already sending out 4 new tips. I hope this works for the Makaha Sunn, its such a nice looking plant, I would hate to loose it. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, this is off-topic, but I wanted you to see how the little DR you brought me from the coast a couple years ago has turned out:

Gorgeous, right? Thank you for all your generous plant gifts!

I hope your Makaha Sunn pulls through and puts out more great blooms for you next year. So far mine and my Leona have given me no problems, but I do have black-tip on some others.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jen, Michael sells his desert roses for $5, red like that one, he also sells red and white, and white, and of course pink ones. I am goindg to take my camera down this week, mine are in full bloom, you won't believe what you see . Most people think desert roses only come in shades of pink. Barbra