Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

Katie Moragne

rox146
10 years ago

My first year for Katie blooming. She sits next to mom...Jeannie and other sister Kimi..? They like to be close....roxanne

Comments (38)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Like it

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I got Katie's two hot sisters, she did not make the cut. I never thought about putting the family together. Next year, I will have the Morange family all together, Kimi, Jeannie, and Bill. What a geat idea. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

The family plot. LOL I like that!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they all talk amongst themselves....

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Lovely flower!

Mark

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I have Jeannie, Kelly and Edi, but I have to keep them separated or no one gets any sleep for all the gossiping :P

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Excellent! You have a lot of blooming plants! I am so envious.

I have Jeannie, Kimi, Cyndi and maybe Bill. The reason Bill is a maybe is because I dropped off six newly rooted plants/cuttings at a friend's. When I went to pick them up one didn't make it. So I don't know if the dead one is Bill. But Katie is definitely on my list!

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Rox- The mother was Jean but yours is a Jean Jr. or Jeannie who was the daughter in law of Bill Moragne. Katie, Sally and Mary are the daughters. Kimi, Cindi(#18), Julie, Edi, Kelly (#78), and Cathy are Bill and Jean's granddaughters. The rich pink tulip shaped flower named Jean or Jean Sr. has no yellow and I am not sure it was one of Bill's original 282 seedlings or a seedling named for his wife after his death. The rest of the 35 kept were first numbered and then some of these got family names. Bill and the 11 girls (if we include Jean) are the most popular along with #23, #27, #97, and #106. I have had all but 2. Just some more semi-useless plumeria facts. Bill

• DelWH
    10 years ago

For anyone interested in a short history of the Moragne plumerias, Richard Criley and Jim Little put out an article a few years ago. An interesting read.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Moragne Plumerias

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill ,

Always love the "facts". This is the only way we can keep it all straight.. If not, the sisters will have cousins etc... ;-)

Great info Del...

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. Next Moragne of mine to bloom is Jeannie and then Moragne 23...Kimi is taking a year vacation. Jeannie is huge and very smelly...will post her portrait. roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow that's pretty cool! I too love to hear the history of who a plant got its name. Very neat. Thanks Bill and Del.

Roxanne, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Moragne #23!! When I saw her blooming at Armstrong last year I almost bought her but it was very pricey. But she has such huge blooms and such softness to her. So of course she's on my wish list this year. Gosh my wish list is still so long!

{{gwi:795660}}
    She's large!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hopefully mine will go that large. This is it's 1st year to bloom and I rooted it from a cutting I bought from Suki at Tropic Nature. Cannot find her anymore...? roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Great post. It wouldn't have been so bad if there were so many Jeannies.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I've got Jeannie, Kimi, Katie, and Mary all close together, and a 6' Bill across from them (along with another Jeannie - don't ask why I have 3), and a smaller Edi, Sally, Julie and a 23. Had a 93/Reddish? and a Jean cutting, but they didn't make it - that bummed me out. Would love a Star Moragne, too. What a family. When the Jeannie closest to the sunroom window opened, it made my summer. I've never seen a Moragne plumeria I didn't like. Definitely want to try again with the Reddish and the Jean.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

But Roxanne, back to your original post - Katie is an amazing flower.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Semi, Katie is an amazing one. here she is the next week after the 1st bloom. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, my Katie hasn't pushed an inflo yet this year, it's driving me crazy. But at least I can live vicariously through photos of yours! Right now, only my Jeannie and Bill have inflos.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I was wrong!! Just found an inflo on Edie!

And it just maybe possible that what I see, in nearly microscopic form on my Katie, is an inflo! It's the season of hope still, inflo-wise, so I'll be holding my breath for another few weeks!

Attached a pic of my Katie last year.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do you like Bill M.? Smells great? Don't have it yet...roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do you like Bill M.? Smells great? Don't have it yet...roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I had read about Bill M., but had never seen one live. I remember I was at a nursery one day and I saw this really beautiful plumeria and I wondered what it was - then I smelled it. Grape Koolaid - must be a Bill Moragne! And it was. I got a rooted cutting, which is doing well. A few months later, I saw a larger tree (6 feet or so), with lots of blooms. It was knee-shaking, mind-numbingly beautiful, but it was someone's mother tree, so I never thought they'd sell it. Luckily, I ended up with a Jeannie Moragne I got on Craigslist, that turned out to be a Gina, and they wanted to trade for that and a little more, so I ended up with Bill. I put it in the ground here a few months ago, and am waiting for its first blooms in its new home.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cool...wished I had more ground space! Very anxious for my #23 to bloom for the first time. Jeannie is getting ready to go off too. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

My Jeannie opened last week, and it's gotta be my favorite. Here in Simi, it's a super saturated intense salmon with magenta and orange and yellow. The colors are so intense and it's so huge I think you can see it from space, right along with the Great Wall of China. My only problem was been figuring out what to put next to it that doesn't get overshadowed by that. I'm hoping Firestorm will be it (should open soon), but I may just move what I can around until I find it's perfect complement. Maybe a pure orange? Or Lava Flow? Congratulations on yours opening soon!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in Simi yesterday. Your Home Depot had a few dwarf pink singapores left...I abstained...was hoping for a JJ pop up. You are very close to Matthew at Island Plumeria, such a nice helpful guy. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Matthew's the best. I only wish that I had found Island Plumeria earlier. Great plants, great service, great prices. Too temptingly close to where I live! I have a lot of great plants from Island, and Matthew's given me great advise. Very patient, very friendly. Even gotten frost cloth from him.

I got a small Divine and a Thumbalina at Lowes a few blocks away from Home Depot. No inflos, though.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I got a really beautiful Grove Farm from Matthew a couple of weeks ago - 4' - three tips, two inflos blooming. Will be picking up a Lava Flow and Mr. Ambassador soon.

I just walked over to the Grove Farm - make that 3 inflos! Just found a new one. WOOHOOO! The flower on Grove Farm has more purple and violet than I expected, it's quite beautiful.

It's a good day when you find a new inflo. Just walked over to Moragne 23, but still none!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow!!!! I asked him about Mr. Ambassador when I was there in April...???? Was he rooting 1 for you? I checked your Lowes too yesterday in hopes of JJ.....I swear it is an Easter Egg Hunt!!!! I got 2 Divines,1 Thumbalina, 3 Saharas, 2 Ca. Sunset, 1 premium Pink, Ken's White, Melody, all with inflos and 1 Super Round w/o any...all at our Oxnard Lowes....scored and cannot wait to repot bigger next year. Is that what I should do? When I ordered from John at JJ by phone in April....6 plants at full price $285 plus $49 in shipping....YOUCH! I was so happy to find a deal at Lowes. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, He hasn't had any Mr. Ambassador but last I asked he said he would have some later on i the summer (so I'm guessing he's rooting them). I'd call him and ask him if he's going to have more and see if you can reserve one. I know Allison asked for one, too, but he may have more coming.

You made a killing at that Lowe's. My Lowes only had three varieties, and almost no inflos. They were small but healthy and cheap.

If you want anything more from JJs, there are a lot of people going to the Open House on July 13, you can ask someone to bring you back something if you're not going. I plan to go as of now. Save you some shipping.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would LOVE to go to JJ..it is our anniversary weekend...headed to the islands for Fri&Sat. It was really odd how some of the Lowes got really good ones and some did not, most seemed to have a bunch of Divine. We are in Ventura and scored at that Lowes and then went to Oxnard Lowes. I have an "IN" kindof with the manager at the VTA one and he gave me heads up on the re-order coming. I hit the Home Goods with a friend in Simi at least every other month or so...

All the six I ordered in April are just now pushing claws... Mahalo for the pick up offer....roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, I saw Matthew today, and he said he'll have a few Mr. Ambassadors when they become ready.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonderful, thankyou for checking. Mike at Pacific Plumeria also has them, a friend who lives there would drive it up when she visits. I am waiting to see how much and if blooming. How big was yours, tips, inflos etc? roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Rox and Simi,
    Gorgeous blooms!!

Roxanee I am surprised you have so much blooming in Ventura so early on, your temps must be warmer than my patch or the June gloom didnt really effect you that badly this year.
    2 weeks ago I went to Camarillo to my favorite Strawberry farm, when i left my side of town it was gray and UGLY (major June gloom.) When I hit the Valley it was sunny and warm and was clear all the way to Camarillo...no gloom.

Thanks for sharing your pics you guys.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Were you at the McGrath fruit/veggie farm? Went to school with those guys back in the daze. All mine that are blooming are on our East facing HOT deck and tons of morning sun out of the wind. The next yard with them is the courtyard and blooms are forming. The last and coldest/windy salt air is the street side and they are doing nothing. :-((( roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Roxanne,
    Nice, reflected heat helps a ton, but that also means your June gloom must not be that bad. Gorgeous blooms!!

As for Camarillo, during March to about July I go every 2 weeks or so to Las Posas Berries on Somis Road. When I was going through my graduate program I had a house in Woodland Hills I owned and friends that lived in Westlake Village, they would take me Las Posas Berries as they would praise this one particular patch. When I first tasted the berries from there I agreed with them, basically the sweetest, juiciest berries i've ever tasted, just like candy. I have explored other farms and stands in Oxnard and the rest of Camarillo and for what ever reason these are the best of the best. The owners use to have land in Oxnard also using the same plants, fertilizer, schedule etc, but when the berries came from their Oxnard land they were not as good, you could taste the difference (goes back to micro climate and soil I guess.), eventually they got rid of the Oxnard farm. So basically I drive from Holmby Hills to Camarillo, which with no traffic is about 1hr 25min drive to buy about 5 to 8 flats of strawberries and some Veg and what ever other fruits they may have grown, this year they had Camarillo grown Blueberries that were like candy... never knew Blueberries grew locally.

I might have to try the farm you mentioned next season also, give it a taste test :)

Cheers

Here's the link for Yelp Review for LPB 5 star rating
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-posas-berries-somis

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is another link with pics for LPB

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks...very informative. They are closed for now, but Terry's Berries are another great source that go way back in time to old Ventura/Montalvo. When they are open (Kimball/Telephone) you can taste 6 kinds of berries before you buy....went to school with him too, I am 4th generation Ventura....YEE-HAH!!!! The ones we love are the Albion Strawberries...I do like the Gaviota and the Sequoiia...too soft to ship. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Freak4, thank you. Just had 3 more plumeria bloom for the first time today, so it's a good day.

Roxanne, I didn't ask Matthew when I was there. I'm guessing they're not going to be all that big, but I'd check with him. Matthew had printed out a plumeria ring with a 3-D printer, and I was so amazed at that that I didn't even think of the Mr. Ambassador. I almost took home a Red Moragne or a Jean, though!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

she never stops amazing me, and OH WOW...the scent! roxanne