Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Wagon full of cuttings! Palma Sola Botanical Park

Tropic_7
11 years ago

I never thought I'd say this but..... Can one ever over dose on plumeria cuttings! I spent 8 hours last weekend cleaning, cutting raking and restoring the Plumeria Garden at the Palma Sola Botanical Park in Bradenton Florida. The wagon you see is the second one I've gathered to make for rooted cuttings. I have next weekend to plant around 150 for this years plant sale. I'm trying to see if they'll let me have 3 of each ready at all times. I'm not even done and have 1/2 to go! All proceeds go to the park, it's a labor of love!

The only one I can name right now is the "Slaughter Pink" and I did find a tag that says "Bud's Pink Cloud" and "Candy Stripe" but not in bloom yet.

Comments (12)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

What a wonderful gift you are giving the garden and all those that will be blessed with the fruit of your labor. And for those of us that cannot partake, thanks for including us in the pics! Lots of work I am sure, but what a way to spend the day!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had recent rains, and you know what that does to plumeria that aren't kept clean and air rated very well... a lot of the leaves have rust, the trees I've trimmed have much less or none at all. When I got home and looked in the mirror I looked like a had a bog of Cheetoes explode on me! apon further inspection of my hands covered in sap and covered in rust... I was a mess! In the evenings after work, I go down hand pull yellow leaves and usually end up with a five gallon bucket full. This weekend I'll post more full tree photos with Before and After's,
    Stuart

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Stuart,

Love all of your pics..

I agree with Wendy, you sure are giving back to the community and the Park with your love and attention to these beauties.

The Pink Cloud means the world to me as Bud gave me a cutting from his tree in his yard. It truly is an amazing tree and i also love the others listed. Slaughter Pink is also a beauty!!

I look forward to all of the other pics of your hard work of love...

Thank you for taking the time to keep these beauties cleaned up and looking their best!!

Mahalo!

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Stuart, I'm rolling on the floor now with a pic of you as a "Cheetoes explode " I can just imagine !!! Too funny !!! The trees are going to thank you for all your good work. You know they are much happier now. Keep up the good work. Peg

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Way to go! I don't think I'll be eating any cheetos for a while, though :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

That is such a great gift to give back to your community, I agree, just wonderful! And a great idea to put the cutting money back into the garden. Those are some gorgeous blooms there too, thanks for taking the time to post pictures!!! Does the garden rely on state funding or only donations?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Stuart, I bow to your plumeria devotion! Truly a wonderful service to perform. Hope you all raise a lot of money with the cuttings!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Pala Sola Botanical Park only makes monies from renting a recreation hall for weddings, Plant Sales, Members paying to be a part of and donations.
    No State, local or Federal monies support the park to the best of my knowledge.
    The grounds are mainly kept up by volunteers and one 30 hour per week employee/grounds keeper!
    Lots of folks have donated garden tools, potting mediums, plants and nursery planting containers.
    I'm hoping to make some "Plumeria "Plumie" Friends who are willing to help out on Saturday or Sunday mornings or late afternoons. Here's a link to more of my photos

Here is a link that might be useful: My Palma Sola Park Photos

• Minderella
    11 years ago

When is the plant sale you have all the cuttings for?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Stuart, What great pics. Thanks so much for sharing them. I applaud you for what you are doing. Do you mark all the cuttings so when they are sold the buyers know what they are getting? That would be a job all by it's self. When is the sale? Will you have time to root them all? You sure have job security. Keep up the good work. Peg

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minderella,

They have a plant sale in October and one in April of every year. I'm trying to work it out to sell cuttings by request with the proceeds going to the park. There is an administrator I have to discuss this with as the park is not set up to take credit or debit cards, check or cash only, but preferably check written out to the park, not me or other person/s.
    I will find out how and post an announcement here on the board.
    Folks are also able to schedule a visit and I'll meet anyone there at the park. Potted plumeria will be $20.00 with 2 or more tips. Cuttings will go for $5.00 per tip, your choice for color or cultivar. Again it's affordable and fun and the park is open to the public free of charge everyday. Park opens at 800AM and closes at dusk. Feel free to email me if you plan to visit.
    Thanks, Stuart

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Stuart, this is great work you are doing, I hope to get down there again soon to check out all the progress. My son likes feeding the soft shell turtles in the front pond so it is a pretty easy sell. (I just advertise it as "who wants to go feed turtles" vs. "who wants to go check out plumeria." lol

I wonder how many of the summer weddings at the park would be interested in a flower/lei package? Assuming volunteers were available to string them up, the park could probably benefit quite a bit, when you look at the going rate for a plumeria lei.