Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

1Yr Old Penang Peach Seedling BLOOM!!!

elucas101
10 years ago

To say I am thrilled right now would be an understatement! One of my 1 year old Penang Peach seedlings developed a true inflo and actually managed to hang on to it to the point that I'm going to have flowers!

I could tell by the bud when it started forming that it would have at least some pink or red, but even when I went to work this morning the bud was still pretty tight. When I came home though, I was able to get a sneak preview.

Seeds bought at Brad's. It is less than 2 ft tall actually I think, I will measure it tomorrow if I remember. Planted last spring / summer. There is yellow, orange and pink in this from what I can see and dark pink veining.

Some pics of the petals I could see. I detect either a mild plumeria scent / perfume. It may get stronger as the plant gets more mature or as the bud opens.

It should be fully open tomorrow and of course going to look at it will be the first thing I do tomorrow morning!!! SO excited!

Comments (38)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

WAY TO GO EMILY!!!

I know you are thrilled.. YOU should be!!! Great job on a seedling blooming after one year.. some wait 5 years and longer.

The color is awesome already.. just wait until it opens fully!!
    Love the veining i see already...

OMG.. I am so happy for you!!! ;-)

xoxox

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

That's is great Emily. love the red color. I bet it will be a good one!!!

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Woohoo! What an amazing seedling! Can't wait to see how it blooms with some maturity.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Awesome!!! You give me hope for my seedlings which are only 4" tall so far...

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Cool! The bud has such great color. Can`t wait for pics of open blooms.
    Tally Ho!

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Wow, looking very nice! Lots of leaves and a good thick trunk, I thought it was a cutting. And only one year old?! I must be doing something wrong :-(

• pcput
    10 years ago

It's going to be gorgeous Emily! Can' wait to see it opened! Peg

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Penang Peach is beautiful andd throws some gorgeous offspring. (I'm thinking of one of it's orange offspring) You may have something special, there.... well worth growing out to check its growth habit & size, floral qualities, and consistency. Excellently done, IMO, congratulations!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are so awesome - thank you so much for your kind words and sharing my excitement with me!!!

Laura - thank you so much!!! I can't believe this plant is doing this, but when I saw the coloring I was just floored!

Mike - thank you! I love the colors too - I think I even told Jen, "and it's NOT white!!!" haha!

Jen - I am really looking forward to seeing how it develops too - they only get better, right?!

beachplant - this one is suddenly pulling an 'ohcomeonalready' since I had decided that it should be fully open this morning haha!

I'm shocked really - I have 2 or 3 other seedlings that are doing false inflos so I expected this one to abort at some point but it just hung in there! It isn't open much more this morning but the scent was more noticeable.

I realize this is not the norm, and this seedling has set the bar rather high for my other seedlings LOL!!!

disneyhorse and dthrooop - they grow so quickly, you will be surprised how big they get in a season. I was shocked that I had new seedlings in 1 and 3 gallon pots by the end of the season last year. Some of my seedlings are as big as cuttings I rooted last year. My advice is not to baby them too much - I put mine out in strong sun (and I watch them of course to see what they can handle, but it's often more than you think) and I fertilize them with Foliage Pro and ProTekt at the same strength I water the other plants with.

Now I am afraid to get rid of any of them until I see them bloom - I have a confession: I almost threw this one away during the winter. GASP!!! And there are several I DID throw away that now I am kind of sorry about!

Thanks so much Peg!!! I appreciate that, I can't believe it's a keeper!! And BTW, I am so sorry I haven't replied via FB, I just never manage to get on there - Psycho is hanging in there, a bit shriveled but lots of 1" leaf starts. I had cut the inflo off as soon as I could and glad I did, it was too much for it. I finally dug it up a few days ago because it was stalled and it was swollen up, nicely calloused still and looked like it would start roots any day so I put it back. I wouldn't be surprised if it had another inflo developing and that was stalling it?! Not rotten though so we're still in the game!!!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you desamecyra!!! Penang Peach gets such love from everyone, it seems to be one that never disappoints! This is extra special because it's my first seedling flower, but to have it be something worth keeping is just the greatest! It will be exciting to see it grow.

What are some other known Penang offspring - California Sunset...is J105? Any others?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Musk Rainbow and Elsie, for sure, and I would bet money on Desert Sunrise, too. Your seedling's in elite company!

I just came home all euphoric from my sweet finds at the PSA sale to see that the &%#*^ deer had just broken one of three branches off my biggest Mardi Gras seedling while I was gone today. Grrrr! I was thisclose to plumeria nirvana today. Win some tips, lose some tips.

I thought of you, Emily, when I snagged an awesome Kimi Beauty today as you're the only other person I know who has one!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow she is beautiful! I love it! Congrats on your success! Thanks to your photos I will keep my Penang Peach after all. Lol.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Wow! Keep your eye on that one. Please post photos as more and more flowers open up. This one could be the 'next best thing'!! LOL!

The fact that it's blooming when so young may be an indicator that it is going to be a great bloomer. Note how much branching it does after that tip branches. And then how long the stem intervals are when it blooms again. This may be another good COMPACT variety -- which are always in demand.

Apparently blooms won't be 'true' until a few more inflos open up and the plant 'settles in'.

Then if it looks like a superior plant, you can name it! ...and perhaps register it. You'll have contributed to the continuing history of plumeria culture!

Hopefully it will be an easy rooter.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jen - OMG, your Kimi Beauty is AWESOME!!! I can't believe you got so many tips! Last year mine developed 2 inflos late in the season and I lost them both. Yesterday while I was watering I saw an inflo on the one branch that didn't bloom last year - YESSSSS! I am so sorry that deer ate some of your plumie - I can't believe how much damage they do :(

No Clue - thank you!! I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about Penang Peach so it seems like a must have- hopefully this seedling will have some of the Penang growth habits!

Dave, I'm hoping it is a strong bloomer since it showed so early - it bloomed at 21". I do have about 3 or 4 that are doing false inflos at a fairly similar height but none came close to an actual inflo although they are branching from the false inflo.

It is a bit scraggly but I think it may have potential if it can clean up and mature over time. It did not want to open completely, it stayed fairly cupped. The scent was initially flowery but became more fruity after a day or two and the flower held on for several days, I actually just pulled it off today trying to measure it. The flower was almost 2", it was pretty small. There are a couple more buds left on this inflo, one is starting to open.

Here's the best pictures I could get of the bloom:

Here's the 2nd flower starting to open:
    {{gwi:1178672}}

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, I've been checking every day to see if you'd posted open pics! Very cool flower! Love the huge orange center. Yes, it will bloom bigger when mature, though it might just keep that ruffled edge. The colors should stay fairly true. I'm most interested in its bloom habit--will it be very reliable like Divine?

Keep us posted on the buds as they open. And I hope Kimi develops completely so we can see those, too!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

WOW! Congrats. That is such a gorgeous flower.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen! Do you think it might get more symmetrical? The picture makes it look a little more wonky because the flower is cupped but I'm hoping for a little more symmetry in the petal sizes, I would be ok with the ruffles though! haha! I'm surprised the little inflo is putting out more than one flower - there are still several to go!

Thank you musaboru! It is such a special treat to get a flower on this seedling. I like the markings it has - almost like a feather?

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow that's stunning!! I absolutely adore your PP seedling! I have a weakness for that color combinations and the veins. So beautiful!

• pcput
    10 years ago

Love it Emily!!!! It does look like feathers. There you go "Flamingo Sunset" :)
    Peg

• dourbest
    10 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! Love your adenium too!

10 years ago

Ill chime too. I love it!! The colors are fantastic.

congrats!

Mike

• nativec
    10 years ago

Emily!

I'm coming in really late on this one, but WOW! First you must be sprinkling your seedlings with some magic dust or something...LOL That flower is just gorgeous! Can you imagine what it will mature into? So thrilled for you!

Nicole

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the nice comments!!! It is so much fun to share plumie stuff with you all!

Lynn - thank you, I have a weakness for them too, as well as that "tiger" striping on the edges! I have another PP seedling doing a false inflo - this batch of seeds seems to want to bloom!

Peg, I like where your head is at! I took pics of the 2nd bloom to open and it looks more symmetrical!

Dourbest, thank you very much! Do you grow Adenium too? I only have 4 mature ones but a bunch of seedlings! They are a lot of fun!

Thank you Mike, I appreciate that! I was so shocked it had so much color, I love it!

Nicole, thank you!! I appreciate that! I am excited to see how it matures and I am shocked it had the energy to do this!

• rox146
    10 years ago

My Kimi is a bit behind....June gloom is here...roxanne

• joanr
    10 years ago

Wow Emily, that is a gorgeous flower. I absolutely love the coloring and the shape of the petals. Your "baby" is absolutely beautiful. I think you have a winner there.

Joan

• plucrazy
    10 years ago

Dropped by Lowes this morning to get some bug spray for my plumerias and there were new plumerias sitting there. They are Jungle Jacks, I bought 3 (well I didn't have those yet) I bought Thai Jade, Inca Gold and Calif. Sunset. They all were multi tipped and had inflos on most all tips..So Minderella and anyone in Central Fl should check out there local Lowes store. Last year it wasn't until Late in July that they got them. But since they were early on the West coast I have been checking regularly. I'm afraid to count how many I have now. My friend went down to Homestead and checked by Fl Colors. Carol was so nice, I wanted an apricot, she had it ready for her and my friend bought another one Madi Gras, also. Then Carol gave her 10 more cuttings. I couldn't believe it. Here I sit with all these cuttings trying to root and I go buy some more. Sick, sick, sick. Clara

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Not sick just adicted!! but what a wonderful adiction Thank you all for posting your pictures, one yr old seedling wow that is Great I have some seedlings from last year but no signs of inflos I am just glad they are still alive! I have tried to get into bradsbuds &blooms but no luck does anybody knows what is going on with them? Iwant more seeds. I also want more cuttings but I must wait a while for the cuttings-short on funds- maybe later this year Marcie

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

What a beautiful seedling Emily! Amazing colours...it is going to be a beauty! Only 1 year old? WOW!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Joan!!! I'm excited about the coloring and the petals seem to be a bit more symmetrical on the 2nd flower! I have a couple more pictures I took last week that I need to post - the plumies are sure keeping me busy!

Thank you Michelle!!! I can't believe this seedling, it sure is a little powerhouse! Out of my other 1 year old seedlings I have several with false inflos and one or two that are most likely false inflos but still have potential to be real ones - at least one other is Penang, but the others are all different varieties - Intense Rainbow, Thai Mango Blush, Kimi Moragne, etc. I'm very excited to see some action on these babies!!!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

E,
    Very nice. Glad you are documenting it. Maybe one day you can get it registered as a new variety.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks K! A couple more blooms have opened and great news, I think they are looking a bit more symmetrical! Since my real Penang hasn't bloomed yet I didn't remember it has the ruffled edges until I saw your recent post with your blooms.

I just about fainted last night when I was watering - I have another PP seedling from the same batch that looks like the inflo forming may actually be true also!!! I really freaked when I then saw a Thai Mango Blush seedling with an inflo that appears may be true as well - OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is nuts!!! I'm SO excited!!!!!

• joanr
    10 years ago

E.

I believe we are going to have to crown you the "Seedling Queen". You definitely are working some majic with the seedlings to have them bloom like they are. Good job.

Joan

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Okay, Emily, whatever you are feeding your seedlings, bring some with you when you visit my house!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Gosh, E, I hope your PP seedling does -not- clean up, as you put it. The shape of the flower is awesome in my book. I just love it.

Ok, it's a bit selfish that I don't want it to clean up when you are wanting more symmetry, but it's so beautiful! And the coloring is scrumptious! I love it!

Do you have more pics?

Good job, btw! Do you want to sell it? :)

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joan - you are so sweet!!! I can only hope to come close to that title, you are too kind Jen, I will bring the big genie bottle with me! Kidding, but I am looking forward to seeing your plumies! Honestly, I have just a few tips on what I personally would do for seedlings, but of course I wish I knew the true secret.

moonie - aww, thank you so much!!! I was hoping the symmetry of the petal size would clean up but I do actually like the ruffled edges, so in that respect, I hope that stays. I really appreciate your really nice comments about the color too. I can't sell her just yet but I do thank you for the offer!

Here are some updated shots.- It still stays very cupped so the flower starts out very saturated and rich and then fades. They also look very different at different stages.

This is one of the blooms at it's finest in symmetry of petal size:

2 blooms:

As it fades:

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I'm still in shock over how many of your seedlings are blooming, and with fabulous, interesting flowers so far! You really have the touch, E!

Had a great time yesterday and hope we can do it again soon.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

its great. I'm for sure holding on to that seedling you gave me. I hope you gave it the secret sauce before handing it off. Because all my seedlings do is get tall.

Depending on which day of the week it is; Joan is southwest of Houston or behind cash register #2 at the PSA sale.

10 years ago

Hey Emily. I'm coming to Houston in a month. You think I could make a side trip and drop my seedlings off for you to take care of LOL.

That one is gonna be great!

Mike

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors