Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetropicals

Airplanes

Ilovetropicals
10 years ago

Can you get cuttings through agriculture checks? going to Hawaii on Monday and want to bring some cuttings home. Last time I couldn't get a papaya fruit, but I could bring the ginger and orchid.
thanks
Nathan

Comments (6)

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have been told by many recent travelers...you go to the ag. dept. before your flight...or day ahead...and let them check it...if no disease etc. they stamp their okay and you are home free. I have smuggled them in our beach umbrella carry on...only to be told later, it is easy, no sweat to go thru the ag. dept. roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Yep like Roxanne said. Or you can buy the ones that have already been approved. I remember bringing home pineapples because I was never into plumerias then. LOL.

Now it's not that easy if you're trying to bring them in from Asia... but Hawaii shouldn't be a problem. Have a great time!

• rox146
    10 years ago

what Island?

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Have fun!

I just got back from Kauai and brought a few cuttings. Couldn't have been easier but your milage may vary especially if flying out of another island.

It seemed to work best bringing them back as carry on. The ag folks at check in won't care since they're only concerned about what you're checking in.

On Kauai, at least, they do the Ag check for your carry on just before you enter the gate waiting area. I simply told them I had some cuttings they needed to inspect. They took a look and then just gave them back.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Nathan,
    You may want to just mail your cuttings home if your planning on getting a lot. Remember you should not pick from Koko Creator if your going there as the plumie grove there is infested, thus the reason they opened another satellite grove in Manoa. The way the airlines are charging for luggage maybe cheaper to priority mail them home. I know people who clean the cuttings in their hotel room, buy their packing materials from Office Depot or Staples, get Priorty Mail boxes or tubes and mail them with or without Ag stamps. But remember when ever you illegally import/export cuttings you run the risk of bringing home a pest or disease that may infest your collection.

Good Luck

• rox146
    10 years ago

If anyone is going to Oahu...hit the Aloha Stadium Swap meet and buy from the cute older Asian couple who have all the good ones and the stamp to get you on the plane. Bought 10 from him last May...walked to the plane as we only had carry on, they know his ag/stamp and all was good. Not to mention half of those ten flowered the same year. roxanne