Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isobea

Plumeria 'Pacific Rim'

isobea
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

Haven't had time to post in a while. I went to the San Diego Plumeria Society meeting today and won a cutting of "Pacific Rim". Very exciting, but I can't find any information on it and was wondering if anybody is growing it and can help me out: growth habit, flower size, color, fragrance, keeping quality? Anything else that might be useful or intersting?

Thanks for your help,

Iso

Comments (10)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Most Plumerias you can Google for images. Here is a link to PR. Its a variety that I believe was cultivated in San Diego from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.uplandnursery.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=211

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Iso!!!

So glad to hear you won this beauty!!

I just wish i could go to those meetings with you!!!

Please post pics so we can see this beauty!!!

Hope you are doing well out in Cali!!!

Hi James... Guess what... "she is rooting.." Whoo hooo!

This is just for you James.. "CHEERS" cuz when i was in doubt of my purchase of this cutting, you made me feel so much better... Thank You!!

Good night all,

Laura

• isobea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks James and Laura,
    This cutting, even though it is big, will test my patience. It was freshly cut last Saturday, so has to harden off before I can try rooting it. Wish me luck!
    The weather here is still abysmal: cool, cloudy and dreary. My plants are still working on putting out leaves. Even Bud Guillot, who was at Sunday's meeting, said his plants are 6 to 8 weeks behind this year! In his honor John (from Jungle Jacks)- together with the SD plumeria society - named one of his new cultivars after Bud's wife: "Viola G." which has clear violet flowers. Bud then was presented with a young plant.
    It was an amazing day.
    Take care everyone and enjoy your warm, sunny weather!
    Iso

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Iso,
    Does anyone have pictures of Plumeria 'Voila G.'? I would love to see it. I have never met Bud personally, but I would love to. He defenitly deserved recieving this plumeria. What an honor to have it named for his wife!

Andrew

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Viola G. sounds intriguing! I too want to see it since I don't have any flowers that color.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Viola G. sounds intriguing! I too want to see it since I don't have any flowers that color.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Iso,

I did see a picture of it being given to Bud at the meeting. Although it wasn't in bloom, i have no doubt that it will be a stunning flower named for his "Vi".

Bud is a very special gentleman and i am so please to call him a friend. He is such a joy and you can feel his true love for his Plumeria. He took a pic of him and I in front of his California Sally and he called the flower " The beast" Here is a pic of his beautiful "California Sally" My tree just gave me this bloom, and i will say it is the biggest flower i have ever seen. Truly is the Beast.. But Bud, if you are reading this...
    The "Beauty and the Beast" is still you and your tree!

Congratulations on you wonderful honor. You deserve this. I hope all is well..

Thank you Iso for letting everyone know about this special honor... I am so pleased for Bud..

This is for you Bud!!

{{gwi:548604}}
    {{gwi:577069}}

Take care everyone..

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Nice one Laura and the size is incredible. It's in good hands. Peg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Man, I need to stop reading this! I added Viola to my want list and now I have to add CA Sally too! I LOVE big flowers. What about fragrance?

BTW I LOVE your pool! Beautiful.

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

Hi Iso - your cutting is not the same as Upland's Pacific Rim. Here's what you have... Pacific Rim from Ken Ames, waiting for PSA registration. In the coastal area, washed out pinkish white. Inland, amazing, vibrant pink, heavy petal, and splash of orange yellow.

the new 'Viola G.' will have limited distribution, at least for now.